linemandave

splicer's color wheel

Rate this topic:

30 posts in this topic

post-317-1160953050_thumb.jpgpost-317-1160953080_thumb.jpg

Hey NL!

Speaking of being "smarter than us" they sent me out on an 1800 pr xbox replacement. Mind you I have minimal splicing experience. So I spent almost an entire day writing stuff down and mapping out a game plan (seems are senior guys are against helping or training anyone) and then spent a couple of weeks splicing the box and the aerial side. Good news is my end to end test was good. Bad news...got chewed out for being over on hours. Go figure. But here's some pic's of the end result.

LD

ps- GO TIGERS!!!

:pray:

I like to take the tails off of the doors and create a "waterfall" over the bars in the x-box instead of placing the splice on the door. I don't have a pic of a x-box spliced in this fashion, but have a few pics of some big splice cabinets we did in Florida with "waterfall" splices. You'll learn the color code as you work with it and will have no need for a color wheel.

IMGP0002.jpg

IMGP00022.jpg

ok guy's bear with me. A few years back before I knew I was going to be a splicer, I saw an old-timer with something he called a "color wheel." He said it was a quick reference guide with counts and color code on it. Has anyone ever heard of it? Seen it? Know how to get it? I know the color code but thought it would be helpful to have. Thanks!!

LD

ernaehrung004%5B1%5D.gif

I am new to this group and see a lot of old stuff I would like to reply to,but am kind of unsure about replying to these several years old post

I had color code wheel when I retired and it was in my utility room seems like it got wet and was coming apart. I think I may have thrown it away. This was the only type I have ever seen. It was for odd pic cable only. It was in a brown kind of woven case that snapped shut. I never saw one for the standard color code. Really not a lot of use for it if you know the color code. When I was still working with the color code most days. I had a simple little method wher I could tell you the binder and pair color of any pair in the cable if it was a straight pic sheath count as in ca ?? 1-600 ot ca ?? 1-900 almost  in a sec or two  We would make what we called a fall sheet  if we were mabe cutting in a sub or cable. Especially if had a count that wasn't in sequence I guess you woud say

Fladuhcracker  

Weakkneewillie explained that method I was mentioning back in Post #24

Edited by fladuhcracker
1 person likes this

There is no such thing as an old post!clap.gif clap.gif We love it when members dig up old post so post away.... It helps bring them to the top of the forum.  popcorn_smiley.gif we will wait right here for them!! Glad you're digging through the site 1sm084thumbsup.gif you might answer someone question so POST AWAY!! mf_type.gif

Yeah, feel free to post on anything.  We don't have those old thread rules like I have seen in other places on this website. 

I hate to revive this again, but I can't find the wheel. I had one a few years ago but it got removed from the truck i drove (line crew). I am now a do everything tech, and the wheel would be a good help in finding a particular pair. I looked around Superior Essex website but couldn't find it. Any suggestions for where or which company makes it?