linemandave

splicer's color wheel

Rate this topic:

30 posts in this topic

ok guy's bear with me. A few years back before I knew I was going to be a splicer, I saw an old-timer with something he called a "color wheel." He said it was a quick reference guide with counts and color code on it. Has anyone ever heard of it? Seen it? Know how to get it? I know the color code but thought it would be helpful to have. Thanks!!

LD

:ernaehrung004[1]:

ok guy's bear with me. A few years back before I knew I was going to be a splicer, I saw an old-timer with something he called a "color wheel." He said it was a quick reference guide with counts and color code on it. Has anyone ever heard of it? Seen it? Know how to get it? I know the color code but thought it would be helpful to have. Thanks!!

LD

Cheers LD send me an address to mail this thing to and I will drop one in the mail. I think I have it memorized now. :new_birthday:

:ernaehrung004[1]: P.S. snow tonight about 5" tis the season

LD , I havent seen the color wheel but I had a cheat sheet, worked kinda like a slide rule, you pulled out the tabs until your pair count was displayed in the window and it would show what binders groups you were working in, from super binders right down to pairs.

Damned if I can remember who made it though. Its been a few years since I used it. I think it was put out by Alcatel Canada Wire.

I've never seen a color wheel but I've seen the slide ruler that S052 is talking about. The one that I came across was made by General Cable I think...it could be Superior Essex. The guy that had it picked it up at a trade show.

I've never seen a color wheel but I've seen the slide ruler that S052 is talking about. The one that I came across was made by General Cable I think...it could be Superior Essex. The guy that had it picked it up at a trade show.

Superior Essex, thats who made it!!! Used to be Canada Wire. They are now part of the Nexan group.

Thanks for the info guys! Knew I could count on the telecom guru's!!!

LD

:smilie_daumenpos[1]:

ps- Not quite ready for the snow!!!

Thanks for the info guys! Knew I could count on the telecom guru's!!!

LD

ps- Not quite ready for the snow!!!

Its in the mail LD you should get it by next week if a polarbear doesn't get the mailman. :Voskl1[1]:

Snow on the ground here now but last storm missed us .

:crazy:

Hey LD,

Funny you brought this subject up. Seems we don't know how to stock our trucks, so someone came up with a spec on how and what to have on the trucks. This ment that Wednesday I had to empty all bins and then restock them how the company would like. No big deal, I get paid by the hour, and learned a long time ago, they know more than I.

In the process I came across two color wheels, I have seen these before but have never used them. As you become more invovpved in splicing you will be able to figure it out faster than the wheel, but I always say, whatever it takes to get the job done. Sometimes I still write stuff down.

MS, if you get down this way look me up, I put them back on the truck and won't miss one if it happens to walk away.

Thanks NL, that could come in handy. Opened up my first 400 pr the other day '_' . It wasn't bad, just kind of sad that we're trying to compete against ya and all we put up is 25 pr. It was a feeder, distribution hadn't been ran yet so i just grounded the cable and put the 710s on that way it'd take half as long to splice in the distribution. Wish I coulda gotten into some of the cables I placed for ya.

post-317-1160953050_thumb.jpgpost-317-1160953080_thumb.jpg

Hey NL!

Speaking of being "smarter than us" they sent me out on an 1800 pr xbox replacement. Mind you I have minimal splicing experience. So I spent almost an entire day writing stuff down and mapping out a game plan (seems are senior guys are against helping or training anyone) and then spent a couple of weeks splicing the box and the aerial side. Good news is my end to end test was good. Bad news...got chewed out for being over on hours. Go figure. But here's some pic's of the end result.

LD

ps- GO TIGERS!!!

:canada_f[1]:

Cheers LD job looks good ,don't worry about being over on your time , ask the foreman where you could cut corners on the time and remind him to factor in the time you had in class to learn this system. Remember quality work takes longer but saves repeat trips to repair . Give me quality any day. One thing to watch in the future , tie wraps here in the north tighten up in the cold and cause shorts and crosses , this may not be a problem where you are but don't over tighten them on your unit ties.

Nice to see someone proud of their work . Keep up the good job. :canada_f[1]:

:crazy:

Hey LD nice job!! Dont worry about the time it takes, speed comes with experience and practice. You cant expect a first timer to be as fast as the old hand like Norscanner said, Ill take quality anyday, makes it easier for anyone coming after you.

:canada_f[1]::crazy::crazy:

Hey LD,

What kind of mods did you use on that X-box?

LD,

That is nice work and very organized in the back of the box. Like Norscanner said, ask them how many hours you got in training.

MS, those are ms2 mods with a bridge on them

I wondered, I haven't seen those mods up close except in the 3m brochure. Have you been using them NL?

Hey MS,

Those are used in Minnesota & Nebraska, all other states use the 710. I prefer the 710, they are easier in tight spaces, like an aerial splice were the cable is not cut.

LD, I like how you took time to come up with a game plan. When cutting over x boxes, I like to check every f1 and f2 to verify records. Seems there are a lot of installers that can't do an update if they use different pairs.

Thanks guys!

Sad thing is I went back by it today to remove my half-tap. I was disgusted by how in 4 days repair has come out and ran jumpers across the face of the bp's and over the top's of the panels. I had left a note that the old was still tapped to the new. But they have already flopped pairs instead of removing the excess wire. Go figure.

LD

:canada_f[1]:

Color wheel!! Give me a break. I worked as a splicer, PBX Installer and PBX Repairman. I learned the color code as an apprentice splicer. I also had to learn the old color code for CL cable. If my journeyman caught me using a "color wheel" everyone would have heard about it and i would have been the laughingstock of the garage.

If my journeyman

Not everyone gets training like that.. When I moved to cable repair i was told from mgmt - "you have 2 weeks to learn the job, figure it out. i dont want to hear from you"'. No CR tools, meters, training etc. A colour wheel would have been nice! :smilie_daumenpos[1]:

1 person likes this

I would rather have a fella who is not real sure of things ask me for help, than to have to go out on a trouble some night and clean up his mess because he was too proud to ask for help.

We were all new to this trade @ one time and I am still learning ..."show me a telco splicer who has it all down and I will show you one useless splicer".

Ask Dave 72 how many times I drill him for info and I can remember when he was my apprentice. In this trade you never stop learning. I have appx 2 years left and still hit the manuals to upgrade myself that is why I love what I do....the teacher becomes his students student.

Don't kid yourself any information comes at a cost and it may be in the form of humiliation from the one you ask the info from....just remember you may end up like me asking the student to teach you so ride his ass but remember ......"The Ass You Ride Today May Be The Ass You Kiss Tomorrow."...

lesson from an Old Line Foreman

Edited by Norscaner

That color wheel that Mr. Norscaner sent me saved my butt!!! I now know the color-code pretty darn well, but at the time I wasn't afforded the luxury of proper training or a senior man to ask. So if I was rude and not thanked him properly...Mr NS...I thank you very much!!!

LD

......"The Ass You Ride Today May Be The Ass You Kiss Tomorrow."...

Are you sure that isnt an old middle-east saying ?

From WIKI: "By 1800 BCE, the ass had reached the Middle East, where the trading city of Damascus was referred to as the “City of Asses” in cuneiform texts. Syria produced at least three breeds of donkeys, including a saddle breed with a graceful, easy gait. These were favored by women."

I remember when I had the job interview for the cable splicer position.. I was so paranoid that Id be quizzed about colour codes that I had the wife quiz me for days on it. Sure enough, not a single color code question.. lol. 20 yrs later, and I sometimes still have to count up by 25's and then 5's .. if its an odd-count cable (like where 311 is your first pair) I have to put it all down on paper .. hehe.

Good thing I had good guys like Norscan around when I was apprenticing. Sounds like some companies dont even bother (or beat the journeymen into not giving a crap) with journeyman/apprentice training nowdays. Shame.. theres alot of time-tested experience thats walking out the door into retirement every day.

......"The Ass You Ride Today May Be The Ass You Kiss Tomorrow."...

Are you sure that isnt an old middle-east saying ?

From WIKI: "By 1800 BCE, the ass had reached the Middle East, where the trading city of Damascus was referred to as the “City of Asses” in cuneiform texts. Syria produced at least three breeds of donkeys, including a saddle breed with a graceful, easy gait. These were favored by women."

I remember when I had the job interview for the cable splicer position.. I was so paranoid that Id be quizzed about colour codes that I had the wife quiz me for days on it. Sure enough, not a single color code question.. lol. 20 yrs later, and I sometimes still have to count up by 25's and then 5's .. if its an odd-count cable (like where 311 is your first pair) I have to put it all down on paper .. hehe.

Good thing I had good guys like Norscan around when I was apprenticing. Sounds like some companies dont even bother (or beat the journeymen into not giving a crap) with journeyman/apprentice training nowdays. Shame.. theres alot of time-tested experience thats walking out the door into retirement every day.

I will tell ya what Dave you walk into the crew room tomorrow with a turban and a cane with a flock of sheep and i will lift your robe and kiss your hairy ass.

Otherwise you had better clean up those troubles ,,,,cause I am on standby after you ,,, I know where you live .....I know the wife and I can recite the kids birthdays....I know more about you than you will ever know......I can control your vacation days......Be Good To Me........To anyone who reads this... Dave and I are equals.... we are a small outfit. ....hence one day your brother is your boss but he is still your brother and an equal.

At The end of it all family is first..what ever your family needs is # 1and I am sure the Company will survive...... Border run soon what ya need?

Edited by Norscaner

If you know the code why would you need a wheel or slide rule? Blue,Orange ,Green,Brown,Slate-White ,Red,Black,Yellow,Violet. First 600 pair is wraped in white second in red ,third black, fourth yellow, fifth violet ,sixth blue, seventh orange ,eighth green ,ninth brown, tenth slate. That will take you up to a 6000 pair cable which I have never seen. You know the first 25 you know them all. Just multiply the cable your working with times 4...100pair= 1x4=4 last group is br/wh, 200=2x4=8 last group is grn/red, 400=4x4=16 last group is yel/bl, 600=6x4=24 br/vlt . There is no slate violet group. After br/vlt would be bl/wh wraped in a red super.So on and so on. After some time you will be able to count any size cable in your head. I use my fingers alot too!!

I could see having a color wheel if you're splicing a large cable, like a 3600, just for convenience, so you're not standing there with your head cocked to the side and half your fingers sticking up looking like you're mentally handicapped. I used to have a wheel, which I don't ever recall using. I gave it to a guy who didn't know his color code at all. He was carrying a sheet of paper around in his pocket with the 25pr color code on it. When I was interviewed for my current job, they asked if I knew the color code. Then to test me they asked what colors pair 12 was. I said, "That's it....just pair twelve?" I think my wife could tell you the colors for pair twelve. The biggest cable I have in my two exchanges is a 600pr, I'm pretty sure I'll never see a super-binder as long as I work here.