dguess

Best splicing machine

Rate this topic:

28 posts in this topic

Which splicer do ya'll think is the best splicer and why. I am new to the board but not to fiber splicing.

Thanks,

Dan

Hey Bro,

Welcome to the site :surrender[1]:

I dont splice fiber but everyone around here brags about the Fugicura :smilie_daumenneg[1]:

Seems like that is all they use?

WP

Hey Dan welcome aboard. I have been too busy to do any damage here but here is a pic of the unit I use daily. I like it because it is dependable and has not let me down yet. A few times it would go out of adjustment but would rest itself when shut down for 15 minutes or so. It is about 3 years old and gets worked pretty regular. post-369-1130123141_thumb.jpg

Well we just looked at the new Fitel 177s, and the Fuji 5os. we have decided on the Fuji. it seems to work real well and the display is crisp and clear. the Fitel is a nice machine but the display was a little washed out, and it was hard to see outside in the sunlight, there is no contrast control on it. we sometimes splice out of our bucket trucks and other odd places. we have a Fitel 176s and that is a work horse it is super fast and easy to use.

I just was wondering what others thought of the different machines out there and now you know what my 2 cents is... just some thoughts... have a good one and a better tomorrow.

You hit the nail on the head with the 50s!! Damn good machine there! The one step cleaver works very well also, once you get a hang of the proper force to use. We also use Sumitomo 37's. They work very well too. They very rarely ever burn a bubble! Only problem with the Sumitomo is if you have any guys who don't take proper care of their machines they can get tempermental. That's whats nice about the 40s, you can drop kick it into a mudpuddle and it'll still burn like new!!! Just a little bulky though!

We have a 40S here and I really like. I have had to splice with it in less than ideal conditions (under a tarp being held by three guys in the middle of a nasty thunderstorm, on the side of a muddy hill) and never had a problem with it.

I think you will be very happy with your new Fuji.

:wink:

I'll have to vote Fujikura. 40, 50... some of the best machines I have used.

In my mind, the Fuji machines are the best - I've used the 20S, 30S, 40S and this year aquired a 50S - and have no complaints.

Regarding the issue mentioned about “burning a bubble” – I suspect this sometimes occurs when a bit of alcohol is left on the fiber after pulling it through an “isopropyl” alcohol damped lint-free cloth to clean it. What I found is one needs to wipe it (the fiber) a few times using only the dry part of the cloth to minimize this problem.

humm, good question,

from my experiece so far, i will say its between the Fsm 50S and the Fitel S177, altough i rather the Fitel , many rather the Fujikura FSM 50S....

In my mind, the Fuji machines are the best - I've used the 20S, 30S, 40S and this year aquired a 50S - and have no complaints.

Regarding the issue mentioned about “burning a bubble” – I suspect this sometimes occurs when a bit of alcohol is left on the fiber after pulling it through an “isopropyl” alcohol damped lint-free cloth to clean it. What I found is one needs to wipe it (the fiber) a few times using only the dry part of the cloth to minimize this problem.

50S is a good choice... and 60S has come to the market now.

Im currently using a single Fuji 17S.. I can rip through some singles. If I do any ribbon work i borrow a sumitomo or Fuji 50, I like the Fuji better but none of the masses are great if they are used heavily.. mostly just screw up my tray.

FIS is currently looking at a new Fiber Optic Fusion Splicer that should be on the top level of performance and help you save a bunch of money.

It is currently being evaluated by our engineers and tested in the field through our rental customers.

I will alert you all to when it will be available. If you are interested in testing it out by rental please visit our website and give it a whirl.

thank you, and please don't fall!

:smilie_daumenpos[1]:

We have a fuji 40s and is a real work horse so purchased a 50s and were not disappointed...just closing the deal on a 60s now I am sure I wont be disappointed.

We have a fuji 40s and is a real work horse so purchased a 50s and were not disappointed...just closing the deal on a 60s now I am sure I wont be disappointed.

Nice.... Let us know how the 60S works...

Just waiting for a purchase order number and hope the penny pincher's don't get in the way :smilie_daumenpos[1]:

I will let you know how it goes

I use a 30 and a 50. Absolutely love them. Really interested in how the 60 works out for you.

Hows the new 60 workin Norscanner????

Well the bean counter finally parted with some gold and it was ordered and should be in within 2 weeks. I will keep you posted LAMF and hopefully it gets here soon. The 40S is still working ok but it has been giving more bubbles lately and no trouble with the 50S .

Edited by Norscaner

@Norscanner.. I think that 60 should go in the trailer and not into the camper.. whatcho think ?

Now that ive been gettin more fiber work, im feeling more regular ! :)

The only thing I dont like about the rig in the trailer (was it a 50?).. or I guess any of these Fuji units.. is I wish they had a transfer arm to move the splice to the Q-pak. Im not real comfortable swinging around a nude splice like that ..

@Norscanner.. I think that 60 should go in the trailer and not into the camper.. whatcho think ?

Now that ive been gettin more fiber work, im feeling more regular ! :)

The only thing I dont like about the rig in the trailer (was it a 50?).. or I guess any of these Fuji units.. is I wish they had a transfer arm to move the splice to the Q-pak. Im not real comfortable swinging around a nude splice like that ..

Dave I have no problem of the new 60 going into my ride and if you want to "look but dont touch" I may be able to arrange it. :arsch[1]:

And please dont use words like naked and swinging in the same phrase.... I dont even want to picture that.... Catch up to ya in a couple days after this stand by thing is over....... Oh yea BBQ this weekend @ Bobs...see ya there.

Well, I got to blasting 72 fibers with that 40s today.. seemed we were having problems with each black fiber for some odd reason, but things went in the end. Might have been some minor manuf offishness on one end or the other. But still... I sure wish for some transfer arms to get to the Q-pak.. To me, that seems like the most un-tech part.. layin that fiber in the groove properly.. and the yellow fiber in a yellow q-pak.. ugh.. lol

Hey, I had one fuse today that passed as 0.00 loss but you could see a faint bright line across the core profile in the X view but not the Y view. Does that mean its a flake in the skin surface and not the core ?? I couldnt find the fine focus at the time (havent read the f'n manual yet).

Cheers LAMF .

Sorry for the delay on response to the 60S but I wanted to "really" try this thing out before getting back to you.

As usual not much wrong with a new Fuji product. This unit is much the same as the 50S but built a little more rugged and a little more compact. In the time it takes to pick your nose this thing will blast a strand and give a quick loss estimation and a tensile test. Usually about 9 seconds.

The only problem I did run into was my own fault . I was working on a road trip and didn't take the unit into the hotel with me at night as I usually do. The temp dipped down to about -20 C that night and it caused an alignment problem when the fibres were loading into the final stage before fusing. I dont know if it is a problem that I would ever worry about as the unit should not have gotten that cold. Once warmed up it worked fine. Just something to remember if working in the colder climates...." Always keep your tool warm" :laugh:.

The case the unit comes in also converts to a work table which is real handy for working in a closet or tight quarters doing a termination. I have done a few with just a step ladder to work off.

One thing I didn't like was the viewing screen never came with a protective cover like the 50S has. I had a spare from the 50S laying around so I am using that but it doesn't fit real well. I will contact the salesman when I get back in the office for Christmas break and see if there is a cover that is an option.

The next problem is keeping Dave72 from drooling all over it other than that the unit is worth buying if your shopping around.

We now have a 40S, 50S and the new 60S all very good units .

Any questions I will try to answer .

Stay safe and warm and watch for low flying reindeer this time of year.

Nor

Nors,

NICE... I'd love to get a new one, but I don't see it happening this year. I just purchased a ribbonizing tool and have been playing around with that and my 30R.. I think once I get a little time on it it will save me some time. But I am struggling a little at the moment with it.

I'd like to get an S series and keep the 30 R for a back up... we'll see how things go next year. Just finished 2 night cuts this week. 5 hours sleep between 6:00am Wed morning and Friday, I was a tad grumpy Friday evening.

Glad your having fun with your new machine, and yeah I left mine in the trailer all day Thursday and it was in the Negatives... I had to redo the first few burns...

Nice.... Let us know how the 60S works...

hi, I am Lisa , how are you . are you still have any need in the fusion splicer ? skype:adlisa2008, msn(email):adlisa@hotmail.com.

I've caught on to a pattern that most people that have posted enjoy the Fuji's. Has any one used a Siecor/Corning X77? That is my splicer of choice, for speed, consistency, very low db loss, and easy to maintain. Just wanted to hear if any one else uses anything other than fuji, or what people think of Cornings.

post-10278-1256866675_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paladin