Nitebell

Scotchcast

Rate this topic:

3 posts in this topic

anyone know where I can purchase a small amount of Scotchcast, I need some for a home project.

Scotchcast (from 3M)

Now that's a blast from the past. Made many a block in PIC cable it. Also go back to about 1962 in Miami Fl. They decided to put all the cables under air pressure.We would take a section where everything was buried lead sheath (Jute). First shoot plugs into all the F type terminals using scotchcast, That is a story all to it's self. Then solder valves on splices unde U guards or dig up splices and run lead air

pipe to them. When all this was done we would put the cable unde air pressure with nitrogen tanks. Then take readings at all the valves and put the reading on graph paper to see where leaks were or blocks. If it indicated where a buried spice was on the platts,we would dig up the splice and test it for leaks. When I say we,I don't mean a digging crew. Before we would dig up the splice we would try to determine  if mabe the leak was there by putting feron in the cable and trying to probe the area with a probe with an aspirator bulb (off an explosive meter) the air we got went in to a box and we would test it with our propane torch. If there was freon there the flame from the torch would turn a brilliant green and we would know we had a leak in the area of the splice. Usually we had to dig it up anyhow if  the graph indicated a large leak that would prevent us from maintaining approx 10 psi on the cable. Oh boy the good old days

do you remember when they decided to maintain  anything under 100pr with "0" psi by blocking and venting?