Nick Zampano

New from CT

Rate this topic:

55 posts in this topic

Hows it going everyone,
My name is Nick 23 years old from CT and am trying to get into linework. I have always had interest in the trade and recently have decided I am going to do all I can to get started in the industry. I have no electrical experience. I am good laborer and a hard worker and I currently work as a roofer during the day and a repo agent at night, so I have no problem doing hard labor and working hard, long hours. I have an appointment tommorow morning to register for classes to obtain a class a cdl. My cdl should be completed by mid september as I qualified for an accelerated program due my repo and towtruck experience. I figured this site would be good for me to get advice and help to be pointed in the right direction. I am looking more into trying to get into a utility(in ct, mass, or RI) because I would rather not travel, but I am open to anything obviously you can't be picky when getting your foot in the door. Once i have my cdl i can apply for the NEAT apprenticeship, and in the spring I plan to apply to the CL&P internship through Middlesex Comm college. The only problem with that is that i have bills and paying for school/going to school for 2 years fulltime may not be realistic, but i am still planning to look into it. In the meantime, i apply to any and all openings within the utilities in CT even on the gas side just to get my foot in the door. I also have been watching for openings with national grid as my fiance is from Rhode Island so moving that direction is an option as well. I am just on here looking for advice so if theres anything else I should be doing to better my chances please let me know. I will definitely be getting use out of this site as I am determined to reach my goal. I am looking forward to hearing from you all

thank you,
Nick

Welcome to the site!

Good to see another guy from Connecticut here! 

First off, getting your CDL is HUGE. You couldn't even apply to NEAT if you don't have at least the permit. I have a buddy who went through the CL&P program at Middlesex about 10 years ago but quit about a month into it because he got into the NEAT apprenticeship. I saw a little segment on channel 3 news this past week about CL&P and the Middlesex program. I don't know much about it although thats probably your best way to getting into CL&P. I see you said you don't want to travel, so I would suggest that NEAT and 42 probably wouldn't be for you. My best friend works for PAR, a contractor out of 42, and he travels from the Hartford area all the way up to Northern Mass. by the Vermont boarder for work everyday. 42 is a great place to work out of if you want to travel. It's also pretty hard getting into the boot camp. I tried to get into 42/NEAT about 4-5 years ago, with no experience, I did good enough on the written test to get an interview. I felt like I did well on the interview and then I found out I was on the waiting list for bootcamp. Well they keep you on the list for two years before you have to reapply. I waited and heard nothing. I decided to go to a climbing school called SLTC (maybe you should consider looking into it) and after I finished there I reapplied for NEAT and I got put on the list again, even after I went through some pre apprenticeship training. It's just hard to know if you're going to get into boot camp.

Getting into another utility owned by the power company is a great way to get your foot in the door. Where I work, we post jobs for in house personal first, then they go public. What I can tell you is that if you haven't gotten into anywhere by next Spring, keep an eye out for UI. There is going to be another line school for June 2014 (I think). Also, that could work great for you if you would like to stay in the New Haven area (although I don't know why anyone wants to stay in this state anymore!) I know that Connecticut Natural Gas, out of East Hartford has an opening for a laborer position. They will also pay for you to get your CDL!

Hope some of this can help you. If you have any other questions, ask me or any of the other guys here. There's a wealth of information and connections here.   

thanks for the response! Definitely good to have someone local on here. I have heard 42 is pretty much always travel work and I would rather get on utility but definitely cant be picky when starting so i will just try for everything. I just looked up the CNG laborer job and i will be applying later tonight just working on a cover letter. Anything to get my foot in the door i will do. And thanks for the heads up, I will keep an eye out for UI because that is most definitely the most ideal to work for being in the New Haven area. Thanks for responding and I will keep updated on here and always asking you guys questions about anything I have going on!

thanks
Nick

No problem bud. Always willing to help someone out looking to get into the trade. Make sure you send in the application ASAP because the job postings don't stay online very long. When I applied for the apprenticeship the posting was only public for 12 hours before it closed. They had over 800 applicants in that time. Keep an eye on the UI's website for job postings because once you get in you're golden. If i hear of anything opening up here I'll ry to let you know! 

Put in the app last night, thanks I will make sure I keep checking the listings because I don't want to miss out on any chances. And yes if you ever hear of anything Id definitely appreciate the heads up! thanks again!

Did you hear back from the gas company? 

yeah just got email today that it is a no go, wasn't selected for interview. Not a problem though I will keep my eyes open for anything like I always do. Have been told that Ui is going to be taking apps at some point in Dec or Jan for the spring/summer apprentice class so I am going to stay on top of that and trying to get some money together to start on my cdl in a couple of weeks.

If I hear anything I will try to let you know! Keep up the good work and don't get discouraged!

thanks man I appreciate it! Definitely will not be getting discouraged just going to stay on top of things and network until something goes through.

still hanging in there, have been networking as much as i can, waiting for UI to post. Also have applied to a couple gas jobs no luck. Just put in an app with amtrak for lineman trainee so we'll see what happens. Definitely not gonna be giving up, this is what I want.

Good to hear!

I hope I'm not being rude by jumping in here... I'm actually a wife reading through some forums for info bc my husband has an interview coming up at the local 42 for apprenticeship. This is one of the only threads I've found specific to the CT area. He took the test in September and just got a interview date.. He has a CDL class A with endorsements with driving experience of almost ten years. Right now he works for Asplundh which is contracted by cl&p. He's the foreman of a 70 ft bucket truck and mainly trims and cuts trees around power lines and also goes out on storm calls. During the big October storms of the past two years he was out for weeks and working alongside lineman. Will this give him an advantage in his interview? And are they actually hiring guys right now or just putting them on a list... Again I am sorry to interject but eager for any helpful info and we want this badly as do many others.

Good to see a fellow CT resident here! 

I tried getting into 42 two times before and I was put on their waiting lists, both times. One time I had no experience and the other time I had 4 months of line school and a class A CDL. 

But this seems promising. If I'm not mistaken, if he is working for Asplundh right now on the tree trimming side, is he already working for 42 but as a tree trimmer? 

I don't think he should have any problems getting in. Just show up prepared with a few resumes and A PEN! And I wouldn't go dressed up in a suit and look like a dork. I'd wear a clean pair of jeans, a button up shirt and clean boots. Remember its an interview for line work not a CEO! 

Good luck

Welcome NickZ89 I was beginning to think that ConnLineKid was the only powerlineman in CT. 

Steel13 I also welcome you to the site Feel free to jump in any where and ask That is what we are here for..... Good luck to your Husband from the thumbnail.gifineman Team!

olo131

Thanks guys! We were wondering what would be appropriate to wear, so will def take that advice. Honestly, our biggest worry is them judging his 'looks' because he is a rough lookin guy, but he is a hard worker and definitely qualified and motivated for the job. Idk how they feel about tattoos but he is going to cover what he can and try to wow them with his positive attitude lol... And yes he is working for 42 through asplundh right now so has a lot of experience trimming trees around the power lines, works outside in all weather, no fear of heights, rigs and ropes and done some climbing. He loves what he does now but the company is a dead end of corporate bull* and this will be a better opportunity and career in soooo many different ways.
The second time you made it on the waiting list, how long before you were called and what was the next step? Boot camp? Are there guys laid off at the moment? We had a couple good years of storms but so far this year has been dead so idk.
1 person likes this

I think I am still on the list actually. I got hired by united illuminating before 42 got back to me. Both times I went into the interview with a clean pair of jeans and a button up shirt and clean boots. I didn't want to look "too nice" and seem like an office monkey and I didn't want to look like a piece of trash either. The tattoos shouldn't really turn anybody off. They are all "hardcore men" there and they shouldn't be deterred by them. Make sure he goes in there, shakes everyone hand, look everyone in the eye when he talks to them. I think since he is already in 42, he should already have a one up over most applicants. I'm not sure how many apprentices are waiting for work right now, if any. This storm season is dead. My bank account wouldn't mind a nice storm right about now!

I had actually wondered about what to wear if I am to get an interview. I haven't really been to many formal interviews as my roofing and repo jobs were mostly just parking lot meet up interviews. I will keep that in mind hopefully I'll end up with an interview sometime soon, I have been taking practice tests and practice cast test every week and still just trying to network which has worked out pretty good for me so far. I was wondering, other than a formal school, is there any way to learn how to climb poles so I wouldn't have to go into a boot camp completely in the dark(provided all else goes as planned). Sorry to be a pain, just trying to be as prepared as I can.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any place other than a climbing school or a boot camp where you can learn to climb. I learned to climb at my best friends house who is a journeyman. He had some trees that he needed help cutting and gave me some hooks and showed me how to climb a tree. Not too long after, he set a pole in his back yard for rodeo practice and I learned to climb that. Would you happen to know any lineman personally who might be able to show you the ropes? 

So he had his interview and feels like it went really well... He wore his chipowah boots, new carhartts, and a long sleeve shirt. He was the last of 13 guys to be interviewed and at the end they remarked that they had saved the best for last which is an encouraging thing to hear I think... There was ten interviewers, 5 union and 5 contractors. Now we just have to wait for that letter and hopefully a call to bootcamp... ConnLineKid, I was wondering if they ever told you a score or placement on the list because I've heard it's all confidential, which sucks. We did hear there is a bootcamp coming up and the top 20 will be called, of about 170 that are on the list.

I was never able to find out where I was on the list.

Thats good to hear! I was one of the last to be interviewed too but thats because I live about 15 minutes from the hall and they interviewed the locals last when I went. I'm pretty sure if you get called to bootcamp, you have a job lined up for you if you pass. 

Yeah he was last in because we live so close too. Waited for four hours lol. He saw an apprentice there that was an ex-Asplundh guy... Nick, I'd say if you can't find an electrical job maybe apply at Asplundh. They work with the linemen and it gives experience busting your ass outdoors and other related aspects of the job... I know it's not what you really want but could help get a foot in the door possibly.

Edited by Nick Zampano
Typo

Retired UI lineman?  Went from the power company to the contractors, thats the opposite of what most guys do haha

. Edited by NickZ89

Good!