spencer.thorston

Multi Tools

Rate this topic:

18 posts in this topic

I bought a Gerber Multitool a couple months ago thinking it would be so handy to have, but the only thing i ever find myself using is the knife. the pliers really isnt that great and the screwdriver blades are kinda small. it doesnt really take the place of those tools in it. it might work in a pinch, but if you have access to the real thing you would probably use that. Im not even talkin about using it for line work, just for general purpose (it would be pretty much useless in linework). Do any of you guys like to use them? What brands are the best, the gerber has a great, sharp knife, but hurts your hands when you use the pliers with too much force. It doesnt take the place of the real thing. What brands do you use? I have heard good things about leatherman tools and SOG multitools.

The first Victorinox I bought I carried for 20 years and still have it, used it at least once everyday. I now have a new one a friend got me that I have carried for 3 years and I just used it this morning. I would not give 50 cents for a leatherman. I had one and even though I did not have to be a musician to open it, I dang sure had to be one to close it without getting cut. I am not sure that the Victorinox is even made any longer. :14_3_1[1]:

Edited by Deerlope

I've had 2 leathermans over the last 15,16 years. Had the super leatherman first... kinda big but I used it alot ( still have it). Now I have a smaller version... very nice, I'd be lost without it. I have that tool out at least 2 or 3 times a day. even learned that if you wear it around towards your back pocket you can climb with it on and it don't get under your belt, and rub your hip bone like if you wore it right on your side.

I have had a few over the years, had a Gerber, it worked well until I tried to put pressure on the pliers, damn thing broke on me!

I have the original Leatherman Super tool, works well, but when putting any pressure on it, it bites into your hand. When they came out with the Supertool 'Wave', my gf bought me one for Christmas and I really like it. On the 'Wave' they rounded out that sharp edge and made it easier to apply pressure on the pliers with out killing your hand

On the Victorinox you can use the tools without having to open it. It has to be opened to use the pliers and the edges are round so it is very comfortable to use. With two knife blades and one being serrated I still manage to have them both dull at the same time.I would have to say that the order of the most used are pliers, knife and philips. All others only once in a while. Its nice to know that they are there. If it the past I forgot to put it on my belt I wasn't long remembering it. I have carried it so long that I don't feel balanced without it. :14_3_1[1]:

.... I don't feel balanced without it. :14_3_1[1]:

We all know you are unbalanced :ernaehrung004[1]: J/K!!

i was given one about 6 years ago by a master sergeant and told to take a whole office of cubicles apart with it because he didn't have any regular tools for me (a senior airman at the time) and 3 airman first class to use.

i laughed in his face, told him he could sit on his multi tool and spin; he could get me the correct tools or take them apart his damn self. our commander backed me up.

that's my only exsperiance with a multi tool :ernaehrung004[1]:

you know, that guy never liked me much after that.

Edited by lugnut

.... I don't feel balanced without it. :14_3_1[1]:

We all know you are unbalanced :ernaehrung004[1]: J/K!!

At my age it pays to be unbalanced, I can get away with more. :friday[1]::fie::mf_laughbounce: :14_3_1[1]:

Hey deerlope, on your victorinox all the tools are accessable from the outside without opening the tool? When you use the pliers, does it cut into your hand when you squeeze hard or is it pretty comfortable? I was lookin on the internet and they are still available. Cost around $100. Looks like they have a lot of stuff you dont need but it might come in handy sometime.

Yes, all the tools are accessable with out opening the tool and they do lock in place. They have a release that is easy to operate. I have never hurt my hand using the pliers or cutters.

I've got one of the Paladin Powerplays which is quite comparable to the Leatherman products but it has a 66 and 110 punchtools and 22/24ga wire strippers as some of the internal options. Nice to have all the quick basics in one small tool. Quite often I don't need anything more than my clipboard and the powerplay to do service calls.

Hey Rob, where can a guy aquire one of them?? That sounds like something I might use, as it stands, most of the tools I carry on a regular basis, are my 10 bit screwdriver, needle nose and pedwrench and 66/110 punch. If I need anything more, I drag out the whole toolbag!

Hey Rob, where can a guy aquire one of them?? That sounds like something I might use, as it stands, most of the tools I carry on a regular basis, are my 10 bit screwdriver, needle nose and pedwrench and 66/110 punch. If I need anything more, I drag out the whole toolbag!

I bought mine from a local supply house when they first came out, but a few different models are available from Amazon.com. For the can wrench, we've got a special key we use to 'Telco' branded cabinets and I welded on a 7/16" socket to it. So my everyday telecom superhero belt is a Blackberry, Janitor sized key ring (We've got waay too many keys at this company) and my Powerplay. I used to wear a pouch made by 'Rip-Off's' that had a spot for a punchdown tool, can wrench/2AA maglight and some pens but I ditched it once I got the Powerplay since it's so much smaller than the previous pouch.

Damn just my luck, only ships to the US. :smilie_daumenpos[1]: I think I know what I want on my Christmas list!!

I use this one.... I love the one hand design. On my 3 one in 15 years..... wish I hand not lost the first 2.

[img]http://www.gerbergear.com/images/products/07530G-1.jpg[/img]

Multi-Plier® 600
Needlenose with Tungsten Carbide Inserts
Thanks to feedback we received from our men and women in uniform, we toughened up our Mult-Plier 600s by adding our patented replaceable tungsten carbide wire cutters to our already popular line of one-handed opening tools. When the cutters become dull or misshapen simply rotate the tungsten carbide cutters 120-degrees, and you've got yourself a good-as-new wire cutter. After three rotations, the entire cutter can be replaced.

Our tool specification chart will help you pick the Gerber tool that is best for your needs. View the Gerber Tool Guide here.

NSN: 5110-01-394-6249
http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/243

I also have two SOG knives and they go everywhere with me.... Both have pocket clips one is just smaller then the other.

[b]Flash II - Aluminum Handle[/b]
[img]http://sogknives.com/images/flash/SGFSA-98/pic1.jpg[/img]
http://sogknives.com/store/SGFSA-98.html

[b]Twitch II[/b]
[img]http://sogknives.com/images/flash/TWI-8/pic1.jpg[/img]
http://sogknives.com/store/TWI-8.html

olo131

they issue us gerber and leatherman multi-tools at work and they normally stay in my truck while i take the SOG powerlock with me. i hate the gerber's and leathermans, they feel cheap, flex, break and pinch. not to mention that the customer service sucks, where as with SOG all you have to do is send an email to the customer service lady tell her what broke (even though you were mis-using it) and she will have the replacement part in the mail next day on 2 day shipping, free of charge. also the paladin multi-tool is made by a sub-contractor under SOG, which is why there is the quick change bolts in the handle so you can change tools and has the covers over the open part of the handle so you can squeeze the hell out of the pliers without hurting your hands and i have yet to break anything (minus a bolt in the handle when i dropped mine off a 225ft tower at nellis afb), the crimper is also on the bottom of the plier head inside the tool so when crimping, it takes much less force when combined with the gear system patented by SOG that provides much more force than the competitors that use the oldschool straight connection, (this also allowes for one hand for examplek, when installing an antenna on a 90ft pole in 40mph winds and you only have one hand free)..

[size=6][b][color=#ff0000]I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER GERBER OR LEATHERMAN MULTI-TOOL[/color][/b][/size] Edited by CrackerJack_4268

im a uverse field tech, and my go-to tool is this little guy here

http://www.kleintools.com/catalog/punchdown-tools/punchdown-screwdriver-multi-tool

it eliminates 4 screwdrivers, a can wrench, and a 110 and 66 punch down from my tool bag. i dont like carrying the whole bulk of tools, so this things pretty sweet laugh.png