Tha Bobster

Lineman Down

Rate this topic:

163 posts in this topic

On behalf of Swain Distribution, our condolences and prayers go out to the Smith family. We are truly sorry for your loss.

The Tool Guy

Damn :confused-smiley-013[1]: , damn :devil-smiley-024[1]: , damn, :pissedoff[1]: this is turning into a year of terrible loss of life to our brothers :Voskl1[1]: , my thoughts and prayers to his family and friends. :pray:

Heard about a guy getting killed a few weeks back when he went to get on the truck or get something off of it when the operator came in contact with a non covered phase. Have no details in writing yet but from word of mouth from very good sources. Will not speculate more yet until I get a story from somewhere. This was in Northeast Georgia.

Found more just now looking for this death:

OSHA probes injured worker case

Posted Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 3:53 am

By E. Richard Walton

STAFF WRITER

rwalton@greenvillenews.com

A 36-year-old Pike Electric Inc. worker remained unconscious Friday at the Augusta Burn Center in Georgia a week after being injured while working on a transformer in Simpsonville, authorities said.

Bruce Conway, a Pike area manager, wouldn't comment on the extent of Scott Bradshaw's injuries.

"As far as I know, he's still stable," Conway said.

Bradshaw and his wife, Betty, have two sons, ages 6 and 4.

The South Carolina Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), which investigates workplace accidents, has begun its review, said Jim Knight, a spokesman for the state Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation.

"Usually, it's a minimum of six weeks before we get a report back on their findings," Knight said Friday.

South Carolina is among the states that administer their own occupational safety and health programs through an agreement with federal officials.

Bradshaw was upgrading a transformer in the Westwood subdivision when he suffered undisclosed injuries, authorities said.

The Mount Airy, N.C.-based firm is frequently hired for subcontracting work for Duke Power. A Duke spokeswoman referred all calls about Bradshaw to Pike.

According to its Web site, Pike employs more than 4,200 workers and has more than 5,000 pieces of equipment throughout the eastern United States. Its workers install overhead and underground distribution lines and substations for utilities, electric cooperatives and municipalities, the Web site says. They also perform right-of-way maintenance.

The on-the-job injury and illness rate for electrical contract workers in South Carolina was 4.8 per 100 workers in 2003, the latest year for which figures are available, Knight said. That compares with the state's private industry rate of 4.4 workers per 100, he said.

Overall, South Carolina's rate fell to a record low, according to statistics from the U.S. Department of Labor and released by LLR officials. The rate dropped to 4.7 workers per 100 from 4.9 in 2002.

Conway said Bradshaw was with another worker when the accident occurred June 3.

"He was up the pole by himself," Conway said. "A guy on the ground was sending him stuff."

Bradshaw's accident follows two last fall in which workers were electrocuted. Glenn Wyatt, 33, of Simpsonville, also a Pike Electric worker, was killed last September while on a pole on Easley Bridge Road, authorities said.

The second, 34-year-old Scotty Bell of Anderson, died after touching an electrical wire on Roe Ford Road, authorities said. Bell worked for Charter Communications.

Another one dated y'day:

Utility worker electrocuted on job

Associated Press

Independence-- A utility worker was electrocuted while trying to restore power here after a storm had knocked out power to thousands of residents.

Steve Ebert, 33, worked for Columbia Water and Light but had volunteered to help repair power lines and clear debris in Independence after a storm Wednesday night, the utility said in a news release.

He was killed Friday morning while reaching into a storage bin in a boom truck that had come into contact with a 13,000-volt power line.

Line worker Charles Schouten, 30, was injured, and was treated and released from an Independence hospital Friday afternoon.

Columbia Water and Light said Schouten and Ebert were among 11 of its employees who were helping Independence Power and Light under an agreement with the Missouri Association of Municipal Utilities.

"Servicing electric lines is a dangerous business," Dan Dasho, director of Columbia Water and Light, said in a written statement. "Steve Ebert lost his life going beyond the normal call of duty; he was helping another community in its time of need."

http://springfield.news-leader.com/news/to...tyworkerel.html

June 29, 2005 - MICHAEL TODD "Hippie" SAUNDERS, 35, of Prichard, West Virginia, died Wednesday, June 29, 2005, in an industrial accident. He was born August 24, 1969, at Huntington, West Virginia, a son of Patty Lou Fuller Nottingham of Huntington, West Virginia and the late Kenneth Ray Saunders. He was a lineman for Pike Electric Company.

Edited by Lnemn's Mom

Very sorry to hear about all of these. Condolences and prayers to everybody.

OUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS GO OUT TO HIS FAMILY AND LOVED ONES :confused-smiley-013[1]::ernaehrung004[1]::laugh::wink:

This is passed on from Ron Gonyea Check out his website.

Ron Gonyea

http://www.voicesatwork.net/

Power worker, 42, electrocuted

Man was trying to hook up electricity to Bear town houses

By ROBIN BROWN / The News Journal

07/07/2005

A Delmarva Power worker suffered a fatal electric shock Wednesday as he tried to hook up a group of new town houses in Bear, police said.

Jeffrey T. Burke, 42, of Dover, was a lineman first class who had worked for Delmarva Power and Conectiv for 14 years, said company spokesman Bill Yingling.

"This is a sad and tragic loss, and we want to express our sympathy and support for the employee's family," Yingling said.

New Castle County police said they have not pieced together how Burke came in contact with a power line carrying 14,400 volts, Cpl. Trinidad Navarro said.

"We're still trying to determine exactly what happened ... how he touched the line," he said.

Burke was working on connecting homes near Paisley and Perth streets in the St. Andrews community, off the east side of U.S. 40 in Bear.

He suffered the shock while working at a large green cube near the homes, known as a "switch gear" box that carries power for distribution to homes, Navarro said.

After Burke was shocked about 11 a.m., two other workers at the construction site rushed to help him, officials said.

The unidentified workers were trying to perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation but were unable to revive him, they said.

Emergency rescue personnel and police arrived at the construction site at 11:08 a.m., county officials said.

Burke was taken to Christiana Hospital, where he was pronounced dead shortly after his arrival, said Sgt. Kelli Starr-Leach, of the New Castle County Emergency Medical Services.

His death remains under investigation, Navarro said, but there were "no obvious indications of foul play."

Contact robin brown at 324-2856 or rbrown@delawareonline.com.

Thanks Steve, our thoughts and prayers are with everyone. :pray:

OUR HEARTFELT PRAYERS AND CONDOLENCES TO HIS FAMILY AND LOVED ONES :smilie_daumenpos[1]::Voskl1[1]::Voskl1[1]:

Centerpoint contractor nearly electrocuted

04:59 PM CDT on Friday, July 22, 2005

A contractor for Centerpoint Energy was rushed to the hospital Friday afternoon after he was shocked while working in Pasadena.

The worker was rushed to a nearby hospital with CPR in progress.

It happened in a residential area in the 2000 block of Cleveland.

CPR was performed at the scene before the man was taken to Bayshore Hospital.

There's no word on his condition.

My prayers go out to the injured worker and his family.

Centerpoint contractor nearly electrocuted

04:59 PM CDT on Friday, July 22, 2005

A contractor for Centerpoint Energy was rushed to the hospital Friday afternoon after he was shocked while working in Pasadena.

The worker was rushed to a nearby hospital with CPR in progress.

It happened in a residential area in the 2000 block of Cleveland.

CPR was performed at the scene before the man was taken to Bayshore Hospital.

There's no word on his condition.

HE IS IN OUR PRAYERS :angel-smiley-017[1]::16_4_6[1]::16_4_6[1]::crazy:

I hope he is O.K... :Voskl1[1]:

Just heard about a death in Phenix City, Alabama but dont have anything yet :devil-smiley-024[1]:

My prayers go out to the family.

Got some bad news the other night when i called home. Turns out a lineman I have known my whole life was burnt by a 14.4 KV line on tuesday night. A single phase tap had gone down and he responded to the call, he made repairs and was pulling the line back up with a horse at the feeder pole when the tail on the single phase line he was picking up flopped into a 3 phase 14.4 feeder. He was taken to a hospital in Baton Rouge. I am not sure of his condition. He works for Southwest Mississippi EPA. Me and my family have known this man for many years, I hope he will be ok. From what I hear he got himself down off the pole so thats a good sign. Do any of you know how I can find out about his condition.

FL, maybe you can call some of the hospitals in the Baton Rouge area?

TL, i have thought of that but I also thought all that medical stuff was supposed to stay confidential.

TL, i have thought of that but I also thought all that medical stuff was supposed to stay confidential.

Not sure, but it would be worth a try to call and give the hospital a name and ask what room he is in. Then maybe you can call one of his family members there or something. Just an idea..........

yea tex ill have to see about that.  dont you work for irby construction?

I used to work there FL, but got a better offer somewhere else. Been asked to come look into a hi-line crew that just started up in my area for Irby. Never did any hi-line work, so maybe I'll stay put. You know anybody there?

Wow Future Lineman I hope your bud is going to be alright :Voskl1[1]: , let us know when you find out more info and let it be known that he is in our thoughts. :Voskl1[1]: