Jedi-Lineman

• Members
  • 324 posts
  • Industry: Power
  • Union: IBEW Local 97

Posted 20 June 2006 - 01:45 PM

Man killed while working on power lines
By the Associated Press

GALLIA | A man apparently was electrocuted while working on a power line in southeastern Ohio, authorities said.

Victor Morris, 25, of Langsville, was replacing power poles when he was struck Tuesday with about 7,200 kilowatts through his index finger and thumb, said James Bartels, chief of the Greenfield Township Volunteer Fire Department.

"He fell about five to eight feet but was caught by his lifeline, and co-workers assisted him to the ground," said Bartels, who said Morris went into cardiac arrest and received CPR.

Morris was taken to Holzer Medical Center-Jackson, where he was pronounced dead shortly before 6 p.m. Tuesday, Bartels said.

Bartels said his department was not involved in the investigation and he had no further details on the cause of the accident.

Morris was an employee of Davis H. Elliot Co. in Lexington, Ky. The Kentucky company was working as a subcontractor for Buckeye Rural Electric Cooperative.

Marvin Ours, operations manager of the utility, referred comment on the investigation to Elliot. A message seeking comment was left at the company's offices Wednesday evening.

#2 crippledlineman

crippledlineman

I'm tired

• Members
  • 9500 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 02:40 PM

Yea this one happend last week I think. I had it posted on the 15th I think. Very sad to hear. :pray:

Topgroove, I've heard of a few accidents on NSTAR's property I think with contractors....Do you know anything about it?

#3 639trbl

639trbl

ACE TRBLSHTR & GENERAL FLUNKIE

• Members
  • 7733 posts
  • Union: IBEW 1703
  • Interests: HUNTING, FISHING, 4 WHEELER RIDING, AND AS THE NUMBER OF GRANDKIDS IS GROWING,.SPENDING MORE TIME WITH THEM !!!

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:09 PM

THIS ISN'T GOOD :pray:

HIS FAMILY, FRIENDS, AND CO-WORKERS ARE IN OUR PRAYERS :Voskl1[1]:

#4 639 & 1/2

639 & 1/2

Southern Redneck Gutterchick

• Members
  • 4853 posts
  • Industry: Other
  • Interests: My kids and grandkids, Trouble's kids, grandkids, drinking beer.......then hunting, fishing, riding 4-wheelers, drinking beer..........after that, what else is there ?!?!

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:33 PM

Sad.....he was so young. Our prayers :Voskl1[1]: :Voskl1[1]: :Voskl1[1]: are with his family and friends.

You guys and gals stay safe out there
:pray:

#5 topgroove

topgroove

Jedi-Lineman

• Members
  • 324 posts
  • Union: IBEW Local 97

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:51 PM

Yea this one happend last week I think. I had it posted on the 15th I think. Very sad to hear. :pray:

Topgroove, I've heard of a few accidents on NSTAR's property I think with contractors....Do you know anything about it?

The info. is pretty slim but this is what Nstar is telling us. That while a JCR contractor was working in Natick-they were tranferring a junction pole (13.8k)with two buckets in the air-for some unknown reason one bucket came down (I don't know why or what that person was doing on the ground) but the other guy in the air decided to take off a jumper they had put on to do the transfer-as a prctice we do not take off jumpers by with one person-as he took the jumper off the top phase it slipped out of his hand and hit the top of the cutout the was energized but the wrong phase-the result was a phase to phase blast with him in the middle of it-he did get himself down out of the air-when asked what happened-he said " I don't know"-it was stated that he had 40% burns on him-Like I said the info is pretty slim-this is all Nstar is willing to tell us for fear of a law suit I think anyways-

#6 crippledlineman

crippledlineman

I'm tired

• Members
  • 9500 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:28 PM

So he did survive right?

#7 639trbl

639trbl

• Members
  • 7733 posts
  • Interests: HUNTING, FISHING, 4 WHEELER RIDING, AND AS THE NUMBER OF GRANDKIDS IS GROWING,.SPENDING MORE TIME WITH THEM !!!

Posted 20 June 2006 - 07:20 PM

I HATE TO SAY THIS.......BUT FROM MY EXPERIENCE----A LOT OF THE TIMES WHEN CRAP LIKE THIS HAPPENS..............THE INJURED ALWAYS SAY...."I DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED...."...................

IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE :pray:

KEEP US POSTED IF YA HEAR ANYTHING ELSE TOP :Voskl1[1]:

#8 LinemanBarn

LinemanBarn

Rodeo bound! See you there!

• Members
  • 1580 posts
  • Interests: My kids, husband, and my Ladies in Camo and Lineman Barn business. Oh and I have to add football and hunting!

Posted 21 June 2006 - 03:08 AM

I remember when I starting working at the power company. It took about 5 years to make lineman and then you had to wait on a position to open. I hear now of guys making it in 3 years. NOTHING can replace experience! It takes time to be a lineman. Guys can't be put through like cows on steroids!

Time and training have got to come first.....not production and budget!

I put a lot of the blame on the companies. HOWEVER, I have also seen first hand where a guy has made it all the way through and made lineman and he really had no business being a lineman. But a long the way, for whatever reason (didn't want to hurt his feelings, was his buddy, didn't want to make waves, or just didn't care) a lineman or foreman signed him off saying he was qualified to do the task. It's not easy to stand and look that person in the eye and say "No you are not ready" but more people need to do it. It just might save that person's life.

Okay, enought preaching....think about it though

#9 639trbl

639trbl

• Members
  • 7733 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 04:24 AM

AMEN TAMMY :ernaehrung004[1]:

I AM WORKING WITH ONE LIKE THAT RIGHT NOW :beer[1]: AND ANOTHER THAT WILL BE MAKING JMAN IN ABOUT 6 MONTHS...............AND HE IS NOWHERE NEAR WHERE HE SHOULD BE :Voskl1[1]:

#10 S.A.C.

S.A.C.

TOP Dawg

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • Interests: Protecting the families of those who have lost their lives in our industry.

Posted 25 June 2006 - 10:33 AM

Brother Morris and his family are in our prayers.

I have received some information on this one, and THERE ARE """SEVERAL ISSUES """" :Voskl1[1]: :Voskl1[1]: :Voskl1[1]:

I would ask everybody to keep in mind, due to the manpower needs of our industry MANY MANY young and old Brothers are being thrown and FORCED in to LIFE AND DEATH situations :Voskl1[1]: When one of these Brothers is maimed or killed IT ALWAYS IS FOUND TO BE EMPLOYEE ERROR!!! And that is pure BS :laugh: :crazy: :Voskl1[1]: If a Brother wasn't trained right nor had the trade knowledge to be on the lines, he can not be guilty of THINGS HE DIDN'T KNOW AND HE AND HIS FAMILY SHOULD NOT BE DENIED ACCOUNTABILITY , JUST TO AVOID RESPONSIBILITY AND PROTECTION OF PROFITS!!!! Those that put him in that position CAN AND SHOULD BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE!!!

#11 Lnemn's Mom

Lnemn's Mom

Mom or Granny

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • Interests: Besides enjoying spending time with my kids and grandchildren, I operate a legal staffing service and build and repair computers for relaxation. Love to travel and miss FL and walks along the ocean.

Posted 04 July 2006 - 11:37 AM

There are far too many young men being killed and maimed trying to learn on the job. This line of work is not forgiving. One mistake and it could be your last, or the last for a co-worker who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Until the companies realize that it is to their advantage to do extensive training before they put the young guys out there on the lines, we will continue to see the numbers mount. The older, experienced linemen are retiring, and the profession is finding that there are not enough qualified guys out there to replace them. Therefore, unfortunately, the training of the young guys is "bare minimum" in a lot of instances. The young boys are out there looking for a good job to support themselves and their families. They see the linework as the way to do this. What they don't realize is that without proper training, each day they go out there, they are putting their lives on the line. Please, Please, before its too late, realize that there isn't a second chance on the pole, if the individual is not trained, if they have no business out there, tell them to take a hike, or spend the money necessary to give them the proper training. That would be far cheaper than paying out the legal fees that will hopefully follow, when a young/old, inexperienced individual puts on the hooks and climbs that first pole. A live wire is a lethal weapon, and without training them properly, its only a matter of time.