Powerline training schools

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 TexasLineworker

TexasLineworker

Breeding tree frogs...

• 6383 posts
  • Industry: Power

• Interests: If Texas is so god damn great then how come I'm still here...

Posted 09 April 2006 - 07:00 PM

Here is a link where you will find links to many schools that offer powerline training.
http://line-man.com/...ls-college.html

Edited by Tha Bobster, 03 February 2010 - 10:22 AM.

#2 TexasLineworker

TexasLineworker

Breeding tree frogs...

• 6383 posts

• Interests: If Texas is so god damn great then how come I'm still here...

Posted 04 February 2007 - 02:55 PM

Just re-did the link. Sorry folks, didn't know that the old link was no longer a working link.

#3 Littletommy

Littletommy

Grimple

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:41 PM

Here is a link where you will find links to many schools that offer powerline training.

That's all good for the overhead. Where does one find classes for urd and ac networks?

#4 Wood Pecker

Wood Pecker

aka............P-Dub

• Admin
  • 5698 posts
  • Industry: Fiber Optics
  • Interests: Drinking beer, playing on the website, honey doos, chasing the old lady round the house, WORKING the rest of the time!!!

Posted 19 December 2007 - 07:32 PM

HMMMMM?
I am really not sure about the underground training? Maybee you could give your local union hall a call and see what they say? Any of you power guys know of any URD training schools?

WP

#5 ggiles

ggiles

Grimple

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Union: no

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:30 PM

Im in my third week at OSU Okmulgee, ok and its going great!! :D

#6 Michaelniel

Michaelniel

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • Industry: Other
  • Interests: Music, Family, Camping, and my 2 dogs

Posted 13 November 2008 - 03:04 PM

Here's a new one in Colorado Springs, CO

Rocky Mountain Lineman School

Is this a good way to get in the door here in CO?

#7 TallLineman

TallLineman

TOP Dawg

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 03:12 PM

That's all good for the overhead. Where does one find classes for urd and ac networks?

as far as the urd goes i know MN West in Jackson MN has an electric utilities program. (i'm in it) its one of 3 schools in the nation with a program like it. other ones are in TX and TN. The utilities program gets into substations, urd, metering and so on. its a 2 yr program, have to take some general classes but its all good. I am 1/2 done with my first year and love it. I would really recommend it. Small classes, teachers know your name. www.mnwest.edu

#8 TallLineman

TallLineman

TOP Dawg

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 03:14 PM

hmm. must be an old thread. o well.

#9 CJ773

CJ773

Flag Man

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Union: IBEW Local 9

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:34 PM

Hey if you still have the list of schools would you be able to post it again? Links broke, thanks

#10 Tha Bobster

Tha Bobster

Jedi~Lineman

• Admin
  • 2756 posts
  • Industry: CATV
  • Union: Nope

• Interests: my wife, my pets, my property & this website

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:37 AM

Yes sure do, I just updated the links in this post. I have a bigger list of schools that I'll be adding this week

#11 biiyoo7

biiyoo7

Grimple

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:19 PM

Am a new guy in here, pls i need more information on how to be come ( journeyman )...............

#12 chris10

chris10

Grimple

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:33 PM

I am attending school this fall for high voltage lineman training after being laid off from my job this past april, and I am new to this trade but have done research and talked to a few people at the co-ops but I was wondering how hard is it to get a job after school and what kind of pay will I be getting?

#13 MrLeeLong

MrLeeLong

Apprentice

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Union: Soon to be IBEW Local 55
  • Interests: This may sound strange, But I enjoy checking my bank account after getting paid for working as many hours as my employer will allow me to work. Hmmmm? Maybe not as strange as it sounds.

Posted 21 June 2009 - 04:58 AM

I am attending school this fall for high voltage lineman training after being laid off from my job this past april, and I am new to this trade but have done research and talked to a few people at the co-ops but I was wondering how hard is it to get a job after school and what kind of pay will I be getting?

Bro,

The word "hard" is a matter of opinion. What's hard for some, others may not find being "hard". But for me the hardest part is waiting. I am a go "get 'er" type of person, so I am wanting everything to happen "right now" and sometime it doesn't happen as fast as you want it to. No matter how fast you get your part done. As far as getting paid that would vary by, (correct me if i'm wrong) Contractors Pay Wages and Local Averages set by the Unions.

#14 chris10

chris10

Grimple

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:30 PM

Bro,

The word "hard" is a matter of opinion. What's hard for some, others may not find being "hard". But for me the hardest part is waiting. I am a go "get 'er" type of person, so I am wanting everything to happen "right now" and sometime it doesn't happen as fast as you want it to. No matter how fast you get your part done. As far as getting paid that would vary by, (correct me if i'm wrong) Contractors Pay Wages and Local Averages set by the Unions.

I heard from my instructor that we intern and the place we intern is usualy who hires us which is good My issue was why go to school for a year and do all this hard work for very liitle pay. I worked in factories for 18 an hour I got laid off and wanted to jump into lineman work but after seeing some pay scales i have doubts about it. It doesnt seem like the pay is right for the work being done. I thought getting into this I would be starting at 24 an hour which would be good but nonthing less.

#15 MrLeeLong

MrLeeLong

Apprentice

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Union: Soon to be IBEW Local 55
  • Interests: This may sound strange, But I enjoy checking my bank account after getting paid for working as many hours as my employer will allow me to work. Hmmmm? Maybe not as strange as it sounds.

Posted 26 June 2009 - 06:15 AM

This is one of those trades you have to Love or you will definitely leave it. Yes, I believe it will be hard work. At the same time, there are ways you can do it, without going to school first. There are plenty of apprentice programs out there that will hire you without going to school first, or having any experience. Yeah, experience is always a plus, and school is always a 1-up, but look at the big picture. Once you get a Journeyman Ticket and belong to one of the strongest Unions in the world you will never have the stresses of being out of work for long. As far as pay, once you become a Journeyman, skies the limit.

But it's up to you! If your hearts not in it do what suits you best. I, for one, am tired of working in Plants, Wharehouses, and Companies where the opportunity for advancement just isn't there, unless someone retires. I try to excel in everything I do and there is only so much excelleration I can do in a Factory.

Edited by MrLeeLong, 26 June 2009 - 06:17 AM.

#16 akr

akr

Grimple

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:58 AM

I'm interested in attending North American Lineman Training Center in McEwen, Tennessee. Has anyone attended this school? It sounds promising.

#17 jd10

jd10

Flag Man

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 04:04 PM

I am currently going to school at Mitchell Technical Institute in Mitchell SD. So far it is a very good school...I did have 3 years of experience before so a lot of it is review to me but a lot of things are starting to make more sense.

#18 aerial-lineworker

aerial-lineworker

Flag Man

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:51 PM

I just finished a four month program at Northwest Lineman College in Boise, ID and it is the best decision I have ever made. I worked my ass off and made out with a certificate and many new great brothers. I got a job working from helicopters 2 weeks before I graduated.

Good luck

#19 Lightningrod

Lightningrod

Line-God

• 6918 posts
  • Union: I.B.E.W. Local 37

• Interests: linework, hunting and nascar style racing. crewmember of prostock team

Posted 31 December 2010 - 05:58 PM

Wow, great news on the job. what kind of work are you doing from a chopper after only school training :Welcome Group:

#20 gab

gab

Grimple

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Union: no

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:06 PM

hey guys i was wondering if you know if theres any programs for line men worker cause i live in los angeles california but ive tried looking for openings at ladwp for traniees but no luck can someone give good advice.
im new at linemen work but my field is industrial refrigeration but theres no work so im looking for trainee craft worker pole linemen helper in the electrical field. i just want to work im young 24 years old and married . im willing to do anything some please help. please im trying to join a apprentice program for this field any advice

Edited by gab, 16 January 2011 - 01:10 PM.