27 replies to this topic

#1 dguess

dguess

Grimple

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Industry: Fiber Optics

Posted 12 October 2005 - 12:41 PM

Which splicer do ya'll think is the best splicer and why. I am new to the board but not to fiber splicing.

Thanks,
Dan

#2 Wood Pecker

Wood Pecker

aka............P-Dub

• Admin
  • 5701 posts

• Interests: BBQing, Camping, Boating, Fishing and taking it easy...

Posted 12 October 2005 - 06:53 PM

Hey Bro,
Welcome to the site :surrender[1]:
I dont splice fiber but everyone around here brags about the Fugicura :smilie_daumenneg[1]:
Seems like that is all they use?

WP

#3 Norscaner

Norscaner

Line-God

• Members
  • 823 posts
  • Industry: Telephone
  • Union: IBEW Local 339

Posted 23 October 2005 - 07:07 PM

Hey Dan welcome aboard. I have been too busy to do any damage here but here is a pic of the unit I use daily. I like it because it is dependable and has not let me down yet. A few times it would go out of adjustment but would rest itself when shut down for 15 minutes or so. It is about 3 years old and gets worked pretty regular. Attached File  IMG_1014.JPG   40.51KB   388 downloads

#4 dguess

dguess

Grimple

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:50 AM

Well we just looked at the new Fitel 177s, and the Fuji 5os. we have decided on the Fuji. it seems to work real well and the display is crisp and clear. the Fitel is a nice machine but the display was a little washed out, and it was hard to see outside in the sunlight, there is no contrast control on it. we sometimes splice out of our bucket trucks and other odd places. we have a Fitel 176s and that is a work horse it is super fast and easy to use.
I just was wondering what others thought of the different machines out there and now you know what my 2 cents is... just some thoughts... have a good one and a better tomorrow.

#5 Dogleg

Dogleg

Lead Man

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • Interests: Workworkworkworkworkworkworkworkworkwork oh yeah sleep occasionally workworkworkworkwork............

Posted 25 October 2005 - 04:55 AM

You hit the nail on the head with the 50s!! Damn good machine there! The one step cleaver works very well also, once you get a hang of the proper force to use. We also use Sumitomo 37's. They work very well too. They very rarely ever burn a bubble! Only problem with the Sumitomo is if you have any guys who don't take proper care of their machines they can get tempermental. That's whats nice about the 40s, you can drop kick it into a mudpuddle and it'll still burn like new!!! Just a little bulky though!

#6 slack-span

slack-span

Meglomaniac

• 5020 posts
  • Industry: Other
  • Interests: Huh?

Posted 25 October 2005 - 09:27 AM

We have a 40S here and I really like. I have had to splice with it in less than ideal conditions (under a tarp being held by three guys in the middle of a nasty thunderstorm, on the side of a muddy hill) and never had a problem with it.

I think you will be very happy with your new Fuji.

:wink:

#7 fusinglass

fusinglass

Grimple

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 08:46 PM

I'll have to vote Fujikura. 40, 50... some of the best machines I have used.

#8 Joe

Joe

Flag Man

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 01:15 AM

In my mind, the Fuji machines are the best - I've used the 20S, 30S, 40S and this year aquired a 50S - and have no complaints.

Regarding the issue mentioned about “burning a bubble” – I suspect this sometimes occurs when a bit of alcohol is left on the fiber after pulling it through an “isopropyl” alcohol damped lint-free cloth to clean it. What I found is one needs to wipe it (the fiber) a few times using only the dry part of the cloth to minimize this problem.

#9 fiberinstaller

fiberinstaller

Grimple

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 10:13 AM

humm, good question,
from my experiece so far, i will say its between the Fsm 50S and the Fitel S177, altough i rather the Fitel , many rather the Fujikura FSM 50S....

#10 Tmac

Tmac

Grimple

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:14 AM

In my mind, the Fuji machines are the best - I've used the 20S, 30S, 40S and this year aquired a 50S - and have no complaints.

Regarding the issue mentioned about “burning a bubble” – I suspect this sometimes occurs when a bit of alcohol is left on the fiber after pulling it through an “isopropyl” alcohol damped lint-free cloth to clean it. What I found is one needs to wipe it (the fiber) a few times using only the dry part of the cloth to minimize this problem.

50S is a good choice... and 60S has come to the market now.

#11 aSplicer

aSplicer

Grimple

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Union: CWA 13000

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:26 PM

Im currently using a single Fuji 17S.. I can rip through some singles. If I do any ribbon work i borrow a sumitomo or Fuji 50, I like the Fuji better but none of the masses are great if they are used heavily.. mostly just screw up my tray.

#12 FIS Fiber Optics

FIS Fiber Optics

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Interests: Using up Bandwidth, Outdoor stuff, Music Festivals, Beer.

Posted 11 July 2008 - 12:58 PM

FIS is currently looking at a new Fiber Optic Fusion Splicer that should be on the top level of performance and help you save a bunch of money.

It is currently being evaluated by our engineers and tested in the field through our rental customers.

I will alert you all to when it will be available. If you are interested in testing it out by rental please visit our website and give it a whirl.

thank you, and please don't fall!

:smilie_daumenpos[1]:

#13 Norscaner

Norscaner

Line-God

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 04:17 PM

We have a fuji 40s and is a real work horse so purchased a 50s and were not disappointed...just closing the deal on a 60s now I am sure I wont be disappointed.

#14 lookinatmyfeet

lookinatmyfeet

TLW's admirer

• 1841 posts

• Interests: President Obama, Nancy Pelosi, Joe Biden, Bill Maher

Posted 12 July 2008 - 05:20 PM

We have a fuji 40s and is a real work horse so purchased a 50s and were not disappointed...just closing the deal on a 60s now I am sure I wont be disappointed.

Nice.... Let us know how the 60S works...

#15 Norscaner

Norscaner

Line-God

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 05:34 PM

Just waiting for a purchase order number and hope the penny pincher's don't get in the way :smilie_daumenpos[1]:

I will let you know how it goes

#16 ROMANatLARGE

ROMANatLARGE

Flag Man

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 06:51 PM

I use a 30 and a 50. Absolutely love them. Really interested in how the 60 works out for you.

#17 lookinatmyfeet

lookinatmyfeet

TLW's admirer

• 1841 posts

• Interests: President Obama, Nancy Pelosi, Joe Biden, Bill Maher

Posted 29 August 2008 - 03:19 PM

Hows the new 60 workin Norscanner????

#18 Norscaner

Norscaner

Line-God

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 02:45 AM

Hows the new 60 workin Norscanner????

Well the bean counter finally parted with some gold and it was ordered and should be in within 2 weeks. I will keep you posted LAMF and hopefully it gets here soon. The 40S is still working ok but it has been giving more bubbles lately and no trouble with the 50S .

Edited by Norscaner, 30 August 2008 - 02:46 AM.

#19 Dave72

Dave72

Line-God

• Members
  • 508 posts
  • Union: IBEW

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:18 PM

@Norscanner.. I think that 60 should go in the trailer and not into the camper.. whatcho think ?

Now that ive been gettin more fiber work, im feeling more regular ! :)

The only thing I dont like about the rig in the trailer (was it a 50?).. or I guess any of these Fuji units.. is I wish they had a transfer arm to move the splice to the Q-pak. Im not real comfortable swinging around a nude splice like that ..

#20 Norscaner

Norscaner

Line-God

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 03:53 AM

@Norscanner.. I think that 60 should go in the trailer and not into the camper.. whatcho think ?

Now that ive been gettin more fiber work, im feeling more regular ! :)

The only thing I dont like about the rig in the trailer (was it a 50?).. or I guess any of these Fuji units.. is I wish they had a transfer arm to move the splice to the Q-pak. Im not real comfortable swinging around a nude splice like that ..

Dave I have no problem of the new 60 going into my ride and if you want to "look but dont touch" I may be able to arrange it. :arsch[1]:

And please dont use words like naked and swinging in the same phrase.... I dont even want to picture that.... Catch up to ya in a couple days after this stand by thing is over....... Oh yea BBQ this weekend @ Bobs...see ya there.