Hydraulic fluid

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TexasLineworker

TexasLineworker

Breeding tree frogs...

• 6383 posts
  • Industry: Power

• Interests: If Texas is so god damn great then how come I'm still here...

Posted 11 May 2005 - 09:47 AM

This is a subject that was brought up in the High Voltage forums. Thought I'd carry it over to here also. Non-conductive hydraulic fluid, which is fluid that is used in bucket trucks that work energized lines, is what is says it is. It is non-conductive.
But, there was an incident about 5 or 6 years ago where the lineman had his bucket on a pole and he got into some trouble of some type. Might have been a flash, hell, I don't remember right off. Either one of the lines to the tool circuit to the bucket broke or one of the fittings to it broke or a hose to the impact gun broke, whatever it was, non-conductive hydraulic fluid sprayed out at 1200 psi all over this poor guy and everything else that was in the vicinity. Ever sprayed a match or lighter with a can of aerosal spray? Same effect only magnified about a hundred times. It literally becomes a badass flamethrower and will torch anything and anyone in it's path. Remember this the next time you are inspecting your hoses and fittings. That guy died from massive burns, but you don't have to.

#2 Deerlope

Deerlope

Building trades (journeyman) retired

• Members
  • 6187 posts
  • Industry: Other
  • Interests: building,designing equipment. hunting,fishing,forestry, making maple syrup.

Posted 11 May 2005 - 11:01 AM

Thanks for that update, this could apply to a few other pieces of equipment also. :D

#3 crippledlineman

crippledlineman

I'm tired

• Members
  • 9500 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 12:12 PM

Non conductive my ass, I've seen that stuff really burn :confused-smiley-013[1]: :confused-smiley-013[1]:

#4 Deerlope

Deerlope

Building trades (journeyman) retired

• Members
  • 6187 posts
  • Industry: Other
  • Interests: building,designing equipment. hunting,fishing,forestry, making maple syrup.

Posted 11 May 2005 - 12:44 PM

Non conductive does not mean that it won't burn, because as Tex just pointed out it will. It will burn very intense at those pressures also. :D

#5 639trbl

639trbl

ACE TRBLSHTR & GENERAL FLUNKIE

• Members
  • 7733 posts
  • Union: IBEW 1703
  • Interests: HUNTING, FISHING, 4 WHEELER RIDING, AND AS THE NUMBER OF GRANDKIDS IS GROWING,.SPENDING MORE TIME WITH THEM !!!

Posted 11 May 2005 - 01:35 PM

NON-CONDUCTIVE MEANS IT DOESN'T NOT CONDUCT ELECTRICITY/CURRENT :confused-smiley-013[1]:

BUT IF IT IS EXPOSED TO ENOUGH HEAT--TO REACH THE FLASH POINT--IT WILL MOST DEFINELY BURN, AND LIKE DEERLOPE SAID AT PRESSURE ITS BURNS MUCH MORE INTENSE :confused-smiley-013[1]:

THE EPISODE WE HAD A FEW YEARS AGO--THE ELECTRICAL FLASH--CUT A NON-CONDUTIVE HOSE AND THEN CONTIUED TO BURN THE BUCKET AND END OF THE BOOM OFF OF THE TRUCK :arsch[1]:

#6 The Tool Guy

The Tool Guy

Jedi-Lineman

• Members
  • 309 posts
  • Interests: I have a lot of hobbies. I play guitar, scuba dive, bow-hunt, cave (spelunk), and chase hurricanes, tornadoes, ice-storms and volcanoes. Well, no volcanoes yet, but...I'm also interested in my wife and two daughters and whatever makes them happy.

Posted 11 May 2005 - 03:29 PM

Yikes! That is some scary stuff.

The Tool Guy

#7 bulldozer7777

bulldozer7777

Presidential Gold Cup Champion

• Members
  • 1296 posts
  • Interests: Safety Procedures on Lineworking

Posted 11 May 2005 - 08:11 PM

ohhhhhhh geeeeee :ernaehrung004[1]: very good update on that TEX and it seems its a non-conductive agent but will torch you to death :Voskl1[1]: Thanks for the info partber :ernaehrung004[1]:

BULLDOZER :new_bigcrowd:
Safety is my Game

#8 Lightningrod

Lightningrod

Line-God

• 6894 posts
  • Union: I.B.E.W. Local 37

• Interests: linework, hunting and nascar style racing. crewmember of prostock team

Posted 15 May 2005 - 05:22 PM

Good one Tex, lets face it that hydraulic fluid which is derived from oil and we all know that oil products burn. :oh_shit:

Back about 10 years ago one of our double bucket trucks emergency pumps shorted out in the turrent and burnt the hoses off with two guys in the air, :new_ukliam2: they were able to get the boom down close to the ground before they lost power and get out :pissedoff[1]: . The fire was very intense and was almost completely fueled by the hyd fluid and was very hard to put out but the truck was saved. :ernaehrung004[1]: