• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Lightningrod

Lightningrod

Line-God

• 6923 posts
  • Industry: Power
  • Union: I.B.E.W. Local 37

• Interests: linework, hunting and nascar style racing. crewmember of prostock team

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

I recieved a part power call and when I arrived on site I talked to the customer and removed the meter, had 123v on one leg and 32v on the other. Thinking a bad secondary/neutral connection or a bad pot I set my bucket up and went up and found this!.....what is wrong on this pole? I will post the several things and more pic's later.

Attached Files

• Attached File  149.JPG   255.16KB   147 downloads

#2 lastcenturytel

lastcenturytel

Line-God

• 638 posts
  • Industry: Telephone
  • Union: None

• Interests: Volunteer Firefighter, Fly Fishing

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:25 AM

Uh, what the hell.  A little hard to see in the picture, but it appears the neutral is attached to one of your secondary hot leads of the transformer.   Or the hot lead on the right is just broken off.  I can't really tell but it looks wrong.  Might just be the angle of the picture.  On closer inspection all those connections look fine.  I think its just the camera angle makes it look funny.  Should be hot-neutral-hot on the can and the center lug appears to be grounded to the can as well.

I also see the lower, left 110V only drop appears to be hanging by it's neutral crimp only, the wedge clamp is not attached to anything.

It also looks like on the drop just above that, one of the 110V hots appears broken(the one that is crimped with the lower drop).  Could just be the picture.

And then....hmm either this picture is deceiving or I am crazy.  The drop on the right appears to have both hot leads crimped onto the left hot coming of the pot.  No, no that looks fine, the one lead is running behind the crimp not into it.

Okay I have edited this post at least ten times now.....I cannot look at this picture anymore.  I am becoming delusional.

More pictures!  More pictures! More pictures!

#3 Lightningrod

Lightningrod

Line-God

• 6923 posts

• Interests: linework, hunting and nascar style racing. crewmember of prostock team

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:20 AM

I also see the lower, left 110V only drop appears to be hanging by it's neutral crimp only, the wedge clamp is not attached to anything.

It also looks like on the drop just above that, one of the 110V hots appears broken(the one that is crimped with the lower drop).  Could just be the picture.

More pictures!  More pictures! More pictures!

You found two of them LCT, no bad for a phone guy ..lol. I will let this go for a couple of days and then add more pic's.....1sm084thumbsup.gif

#4 lastcenturytel

lastcenturytel

Line-God

• 638 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

Maybe you don't use it there, but there is no wire guard/overwrap on the primary where it is attached to the insulators.  I feel this is like Where's Waldo.  

#5 Lightningrod

Lightningrod

Line-God

• 6923 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

You got another one...come on power guys, are you going to let LCT get them all ?????whistling.gif

#6 lastcenturytel

lastcenturytel

Line-God

• 638 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:04 PM

Where are all the power guys anyway?  Are those Amp brand crimp covers?  The one dead center and also the lowest cover in the photo appears to be partially melted as does the smaller(2 gauge?) wire coming out of it.  I'm going to guess its a 4/0 to a 2 gauge crimp maybe.  I don't know the larger gauges by sight as I am telco.  Show me 26,24,22,19,16,14,12,10,8,6 and I'll tell you what it is instantly.  Anyway, lightning hit or customer running 200amp panel with underground high load pot farm and melted it through?

The more times I look at it the more things I see.

#7 Punisher_FIN

Punisher_FIN

Jack-of-All-Trades

• Members
  • 874 posts
  • Union: Nada, Im slave mastah!

• Interests: Fast Cars and Bikes, Computers, Gym, Future Mrs Punisher, My own company, linework!

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:59 PM

incoming wire diameter is somewhat smallish to my taste, dunno whats the idea of using 6mm^2 wire incoming and 25-50mm^2 cable out from transformer. even voltage changes but for higher loads that can generate loads of problems. and yeah, why put neutral to second outcoming phase anyway :D

#8 Lightningrod

Lightningrod

Line-God

• 6923 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:15 PM

Ok, time to add a few pic's more and see what happens...

Attached Files

• Attached File  146.JPG   101.52KB   53 downloads
  • Attached File  145.JPG   97.04KB   74 downloads
  • Attached File  147.JPG   143.75KB   74 downloads
  • Attached File  149.JPG   255.16KB   52 downloads

#9 lastcenturytel

lastcenturytel

Line-God

• 638 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:04 PM

At this point I just want to laugh.  Damn man, what isn't wrong on that pole..  Is there any mineral oil left in that pot?  It that a Chance cutout that is cracked?

#10 Lightningrod

Lightningrod

Line-God

• 6923 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:11 PM

Like I said LCT, there are a few things wrong. The rust is only surface and so I left that pot up and yes that is a cracked Chance cutout. I went up to fix the damaged secondary and found the cutout cracked when inspecting it ( we always check before opening). I called for a crew to open the feed about half a mile away and then untapped the bad switch and then they closed the mainline back in.

Here's what we fixed.  #1--changed the bad cutout   #2-- installed animal guard on the primary bushing  #3-- burnt up secondary connection along side of pot 1st pic of post 8   #4--repaired burnt connection by wedge clamp on top service off back of pole  #5--replaced broken wedge clamp on top service off beck of pole  #6--reattached wedge clamp on bottom service to pole  #7--replaced aluminun leads in pot secondary bushing with copper leads as on bug type connectors on the pot over time alum leads will loosen up and eventualy burn up due to alum creapage, alum leads can only be used with pressed on hi-lugs bolted to spade front bushings.

Attached Files

• Attached File  151.JPG   81.79KB   25 downloads
  • Attached File  152.JPG   79.23KB   23 downloads

#11 rob8210

rob8210

Grimple

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:59 PM

You had to call a crew to open up ahead of you? Any reason you couldn't just remove the hot line clamp?

#12 Lightningrod

Lightningrod

Line-God

• 6923 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:06 PM

You had to call a crew to open up ahead of you? Any reason you couldn't just remove the hot line clamp?

Have to rob, company policy now. We used to be able to use our own judgement and I have untapped a lot of them in the past but a lot of the younger hands say they don't believe it's safe and raised it to the safety dept and so now we have to dump the closest disconnect.