10 replies to this topic

#1 rex

rex

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • Industry: Power

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:05 PM

Getting to be a lineworker requires patience and persistence. I have applied with albat in every local in illinois whenever they accepted application this year and so far I am on a waiting list for one local, just took a written test for a local in Batavia, Il and I have an interview in Jan for a local in Springfield. I first started applying for these jobs since March of 2010 and I hope that some time in 2011 I will actually get a letter to attend the line school which is in Ohio. So for every one that is trying to get into an apprenticeship, you will be fooled to think it is a quick process, apply now but expect to actually get into the program much later. I also took an overhead electrical program at Dawson Tech, in Chicago, Il. it is a 6 month program that teaches you the basics in climbing and electrical theory.

#2 Indianlineman

Indianlineman

Grimple

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:41 PM

I live near dawson tech here in south chicago, Was wondering if the program was good and legitimate for me trying to get into ALBAT?

Thanks

#3 olo131

olo131

CATV is my life

• Admin
  • 10655 posts
  • Industry: CATV
  • Union: no

• Interests: CATV!! Is there any thing else?

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:44 PM

Welcome to the site!!! Cool name BTW

#4 Lightningrod

Lightningrod

Line-God

• 6918 posts
  • Union: I.B.E.W. Local 37

• Interests: linework, hunting and nascar style racing. crewmember of prostock team

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:46 PM

Welcome aboard Indianlineman, I can't vouch one wy another for the course but I do see it is put on as a jint effort between the college and Comed, which a great combo. :ernaehrung004[1]:

#5 rex

rex

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:17 PM

I live near dawson tech here in south chicago, Was wondering if the program was good and legitimate for me trying to get into ALBAT?

Thanks

What I can tell you so far is that everything that I learned in Dawson Tech has helped me with interviewing with the Albat commitees. Through Dawson Tech I got my flagger certificate, CPR card and passed the CAST test as well as experience climbing, pole top rescue and such. I have interviewed with ALBAT at different locals in Illinois and Indiana and I have another inteview with them in Naperville, Il on hte 20th of this month. During the last interview a few of the interviewers didn't know of Dawson program but they did accept the schools documents that I provided for them. To answer you question I would say yes because they rate you in the interview by how they percieve you to be able to handle the type of work lineworkers do and being in some type of school can help you in that category.

#6 Indianlineman

Indianlineman

Grimple

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:14 PM

Thanks

What I can tell you so far is that everything that I learned in Dawson Tech has helped me with interviewing with the Albat commitees. Through Dawson Tech I got my flagger certificate, CPR card and passed the CAST test as well as experience climbing, pole top rescue and such. I have interviewed with ALBAT at different locals in Illinois and Indiana and I have another inteview with them in Naperville, Il on hte 20th of this month. During the last interview a few of the interviewers didn't know of Dawson program but they did accept the schools documents that I provided for them. To answer you question I would say yes because they rate you in the interview by how they percieve you to be able to handle the type of work lineworkers do and being in some type of school can help you in that category.

THank you all for the warm welcome and details. I am finishing up a bachelors degree at Illinois Tech in Chicago, and I am stuck on whether I should go to Dawson or Oklahoma State https://www.osuit.ed...an_of_study.php program. The reason is because my fiance and I are moving out of chicago because it is expensive. I am basically stuck here at Illinois Tech because I was offered full ride when I was in the rotc program. I am planning on moving down south and need some guidance on how to land a ALBAT or SELCAT apprenticeship. I just turned 21 and plan on finishing this degree first and in the meantime trying to study for my CDL Class A with air brakes license. What else should I do? I am the first Indian immigrant ever that wants to become a lineworker. It has been my dream since high school, however I didnt live anywhere near the apprenticeship facilities.

Thanks for your advice.

#7 rex

rex

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:22 PM

Thanks

THank you all for the warm welcome and details. I am finishing up a bachelors degree at Illinois Tech in Chicago, and I am stuck on whether I should go to Dawson or Oklahoma State https://www.osuit.ed...an_of_study.php program. The reason is because my fiance and I are moving out of chicago because it is expensive. I am basically stuck here at Illinois Tech because I was offered full ride when I was in the rotc program. I am planning on moving down south and need some guidance on how to land a ALBAT or SELCAT apprenticeship. I just turned 21 and plan on finishing this degree first and in the meantime trying to study for my CDL Class A with air brakes license. What else should I do? I am the first Indian immigrant ever that wants to become a lineworker. It has been my dream since high school, however I didnt live anywhere near the apprenticeship facilities.

Thanks for your advice.

As far as which line school you should go to I know that Dawson has been raising their prices since I went there. So before you move maybe you should check out the prices to where you are moving to. As as far as applying with Albat.org you basically need to be watching there website at least every other week to see when one of their locals will be accepting applications and then either download the app online or go to the local and pick it up. I'm sure its about the same process with SELCAT also. With Albat you need to at least have your class A permit with air brake endorsement to even have your application considered. You can also get your class a license through Star truck driving school in South Holland but they want about 2200. Other than getting into a line school I would tell you to get into the best shape of your life because linework requires you to be fit. It takes a lot out of you physically climbing poles.

#8 Indianlineman

Indianlineman

Grimple

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:52 PM

[/quote]

As far as which line school you should go to I know that Dawson has been raising their prices since I went there. So before you move maybe you should check out the prices to where you are moving to. As as far as applying with Albat.org you basically need to be watching there website at least every other week to see when one of their locals will be accepting applications and then either download the app online or go to the local and pick it up. I'm sure its about the same process with SELCAT also. With Albat you need to at least have your class A permit with air brake endorsement to even have your application considered. You can also get your class a license through Star truck driving school in South Holland but they want about 2200. Other than getting into a line school I would tell you to get into the best shape of your life because linework requires you to be fit. It takes a lot out of you physically climbing poles.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info. 2200 is a lot. I dont have that much money. I would like to know cheaper options? I am not worried about the written parts. only the road test. Also, I realize physical fitness is vital and am working hard towards it. I am 6'4 250lb. Looking to develop a better core and leg strength.

#9 rex

rex

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:56 AM

[quote name='Indianlineman' date='15 January 2011 - 08:52 PM' timestamp='1295146356' post='146756']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks for the info. 2200 is a lot. I dont have that much money. I would like to know cheaper options? I am not worried about the written parts. only the road test. Also, I realize physical fitness is vital and am working hard towards it. I am 6'4 250lb. Looking to develop a better core and leg strength.
[/quote]

Cheaper options, well once you get your permit you can go to CR England and if you are willing to drive for them a while they will finance your training but they will be putting you in one of their trucks and have you hauling across the country. But since you are in school right now that might not be an option for you until you get out. Your local school bus companies will help you get a CDL if you drive for them but it is a class B license and you won't have to pay them back for the training either. In order to get into DAwson TEch they will have you climb up about 40 feet on a pole and come down about 20 more feet, strap in your belt and use a rope to pull up a 50lb bucket from the ground to your hand and then let it back down. It sounds easy but you would be surprised at how hard that was for a lot of people and if you have difficulty with that then they will not even allow you into the program. I'm guessing that some of the other lineschools have some sort of entrance test to get in. So if I was you, I would stop by Dawson to see about enrolling in their program becasue they test at least two months before the program begins. Also inquire about the WIA program ahead of time and it will help cover a lot of the program expenses if you qualify.

#10 Indianlineman

Indianlineman

Grimple

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:14 AM

Cheaper options, well once you get your permit you can go to CR England and if you are willing to drive for them a while they will finance your training but they will be putting you in one of their trucks and have you hauling across the country. But since you are in school right now that might not be an option for you until you get out. Your local school bus companies will help you get a CDL if you drive for them but it is a class B license and you won't have to pay them back for the training either. In order to get into DAwson TEch they will have you climb up about 40 feet on a pole and come down about 20 more feet, strap in your belt and use a rope to pull up a 50lb bucket from the ground to your hand and then let it back down. It sounds easy but you would be surprised at how hard that was for a lot of people and if you have difficulty with that then they will not even allow you into the program. I'm guessing that some of the other lineschools have some sort of entrance test to get in. So if I was you, I would stop by Dawson to see about enrolling in their program becasue they test at least two months before the program begins. Also inquire about the WIA program ahead of time and it will help cover a lot of the program expenses if you qualify.
[/quote]

Hey

thanks, I will look into dawson and WIA program. I live on 37th and king so its like 2 blocks south from me thats why. The other thing i was considering was northwest lineman school in texas program. Any info about that program and its pros and cons?

THanks

#11 Big D

Big D

Now I RE

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • Union: Hopefully in a few months

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:37 PM

[/quote]

Deadlifts for core, squats, curls , extensions, etc. for legs. make sure you have a good back routine for pulling power. I'm 6'-4 278 and have the strength no prob. Now I just need to get my wind back up so I've been told. Good luck to ya. D

Edited by Big D, 16 January 2011 - 12:39 PM.