Photo
- - - - -

NLC Employment Percentage

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Poll: Hiring rates (6 member(s) have cast votes)

Were you hired within 6 months of completeing apprentice training?

1. Yes (2 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. No (4 votes [66.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Kilomph

Kilomph

Grimple

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Industry: Power
  • Union: Teamsters

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:54 PM

I'm referring to this: http://www.lineman.e...oyment_2010.pdf

I've read on this forum that sometimes 4 out of 45+ students only get hired!!!! If I leave my current municipal "apprentice" lineman job in NJ to go to NLC in Idaho I want to know I've got a very good chance of landing a job, 4 out of 45 is just insane. I can't see that being worth the risk to quit and drive all the way out there, along with getting a 12k loan that I'll have to start paying off 6 months after school.

Could they really be completely lying about their 78% success rate? I'm smart, determined, strong and already have experience; I've hung 75kVA transformers, set 1000kVA pad mounts (all 4160) and know how to climb, I think I'd have a slight upper hand, but those odds just seem ridiculous.

My reason for wanting to leave is that my current job doesn't have any official training (I can't actually get my journeyman ticket with them), and the pay isn't great. The only positive is that it's stable, and with they direction the economy is heading that's sounding very good. I really want to move out west (Montana (ideally!), CO, Utah, etc) and become a Journeyman more than anything.

What are the hiring rates out of other schools? Besides NLC, I was considering Montana Techs program, but I can't find any concrete info on their hiring numbers.

Please chime in with your struggles on getting hired. How long it took, how many resumes you sent out, how many interviews you gave, etc., etc.

Any advice from experienced lineman/apprentices?

Thanks

Edited by Kilomph, 13 November 2010 - 07:25 PM.

#2 wood stabber

wood stabber

Jedi-Lineman

• 326 posts
  • Union: IBEW 1245 Journeyman Power Lineman

Posted 13 November 2010 - 05:54 PM

Your a fool if you've already got a Muni job now and quit to go to NLC!!
They say the get 75% of their grads jobs,,it's true too. IF you wanna go to work for pike or some other RAT outfit.
Your best to just stay put for a few years till they give you a ticket.

#3 olo131

olo131

CATV is my life

• Admin
  • 10655 posts
  • Industry: CATV
  • Union: no

• Interests: CATV!! Is there any thing else?

Posted 13 November 2010 - 06:20 PM

There was a poll started take a minute to help............

Thanks WS for the input Hope it helped

#4 Kilomph

Kilomph

Grimple

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Union: Teamsters

Posted 13 November 2010 - 07:18 PM

They say the get 75% of their grads jobs,,it's true too. IF you wanna go to work for pike or some other RAT outfit.

Sorry, what does "pike" and "RAT" mean? I'll work anywhere so long as I can get my ticket.

Where I'm currently employed there is no way for me to get my ticket, it's a very strange setup. It's a small town, I'm 1 of 3 electricians. The two head electricians were both trained by 30+ year JCPL/PSEG lineman who ran the utility prior to them. Nothing is by code, no hard hats, no bucket harnesses and sometimes they don't even use rubber to handle the 4160.

I always take all safety precautions, of course, and they don't break my balls too badly for doing so.

We've got a brand new digger, one material handler and three regular line trucks, I've got experience with all of them.

I'm just stuck at a very low wage ($15/h) with no real future, I want to get my ticket and find a professional working environment.

I guess in my scenario would you guys suggest applying to NEAT1968 and to forget about any one shot deal schools?

Only reason I'm really considering NWL is because I've heard NEAT can take years to get back to you, not sure if I can take years of dealing with this work environment (not sure if I'll survive, lol).

Thanks for the replies!

Edited by Kilomph, 13 November 2010 - 07:22 PM.

#5 wood stabber

wood stabber

Jedi-Lineman

• 326 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 07:51 PM

Document all the types of work you've done at your current job( ie. gloving, sticking,U/G) amount of time you've been there and a CDL,go down to the local IBEW office and tell them you want into their apprentice program.They'll work with you to point you in the right direction.

#6 Lightningrod

Lightningrod

Line-God

• 6926 posts
  • Union: I.B.E.W. Local 37

• Interests: linework, hunting and nascar style racing. crewmember of prostock team

Posted 14 November 2010 - 05:34 PM

Document all the types of work you've done at your current job-- as wood Stabber has stated but also do what you can to improve the level of safety at your muni. I mean you can wear your own hardhat and pick up a harness to wear, after all it is your life.

I find it hard to believe OSHA would allow such a slack safety enviroment to go on without stepping in. :smilie_daumenpos[1]:

#7 wood stabber

wood stabber

Jedi-Lineman

• 326 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 06:36 PM

Document all the types of work you've done at your current job-- as wood Stabber has stated but also do what you can to improve the level of safety at your muni. I mean you can wear your own hardhat and pick up a harness to wear, after all it is your life.

I find it hard to believe OSHA would allow such a slack safety enviroment to go on without stepping in. :smilie_daumenpos[1]:

I was gonna mention that too Rod,,, nothing a little anonymous call to OSHA wouldn't fix. Actually he can just call OSHA AND give his name,,if he get's fired for calling OSHA he has a nice little lawsuit.....

#8 BTAP

BTAP

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:07 AM

Keep working your current job and apply to all the apprenticeships you can. Having experience in the field you have a better chance of getting picked up than any of the people graduating from a lineman school. NJATC.ORG is a good place to start looking

#9 t_verde1

t_verde1

Flag Man

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Union: IBEW local 1245 grunt - union or die

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:34 PM

i second what stabber said. the jatc apprenticeships are all over. I recently talked to the ex-director of the cal-navada jatc. apparently their going to be accepting applications early next year. just gota stay on top of it bro. youl find a good apprenticeship. good luck

just curious what company are you working for and where...ive heard and seen some crazy stuff. but that tops it

Edited by t_verde1, 24 November 2010 - 09:37 PM.

#10 Schmitty

Schmitty

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • Union: IBEW Local 1245

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:13 PM

Sorry, what does "pike" and "RAT" mean? I'll work anywhere so long as I can get my ticket.

Where I'm currently employed there is no way for me to get my ticket, it's a very strange setup. It's a small town, I'm 1 of 3 electricians. The two head electricians were both trained by 30+ year JCPL/PSEG lineman who ran the utility prior to them. Nothing is by code, no hard hats, no bucket harnesses and sometimes they don't even use rubber to handle the 4160.

I always take all safety precautions, of course, and they don't break my balls too badly for doing so.

We've got a brand new digger, one material handler and three regular line trucks, I've got experience with all of them.

I'm just stuck at a very low wage ($15/h) with no real future, I want to get my ticket and find a professional working environment.

I guess in my scenario would you guys suggest applying to NEAT1968 and to forget about any one shot deal schools?

Only reason I'm really considering NWL is because I've heard NEAT can take years to get back to you, not sure if I can take years of dealing with this work environment (not sure if I'll survive, lol).

Thanks for the replies!

I attended NLC worked as an apprentice for a slack little co-op for a year and just got indentured with the njatc outa CAL NEV. I second the jatc approach in your sitch. NLC is good but mostly everyone at NLC is attending to get thier foot in the door somewhere. Since you already have that where you are.... The SW JATC needs guys too. I have two NLC'ers that I graduated with over there. Pacificorp has alot of jobs in the region you mentioned. I believe that there are nine jatc divisions you can apply for in the USA.

I have always heard that if you can get your current employer to verify your experience on a company letterhead you can take that down to the local union hall and test out after 5 years an get your white journey ticket.

#11 wood stabber

wood stabber

Jedi-Lineman

• 326 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 06:43 PM

You take that WHITE ticket and wipe your ass with it cuz that's all it's worth.........

#12 t_verde1

t_verde1

Flag Man

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Union: IBEW local 1245 grunt - union or die

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:50 PM

You take that WHITE ticket and wipe your ass with it cuz that's all it's worth.........

haha skrew the 5 years why not just go buy one down on the texas/ mexico border for 5 bucks...never goin rat again.

any one know when the jatc's on the pacific coast are going to be accepting again?

I interview last week for the south west jatc and got 84.5 percent..i figured they would tell me what number i was on the list but no... any idea how good or bad that is?

#13 Punisher_FIN

Punisher_FIN

Jack-of-All-Trades

• Members
  • 874 posts
  • Union: Nada, Im slave mastah!

• Interests: Fast Cars and Bikes, Computers, Gym, Future Mrs Punisher, My own company, linework!

Posted 04 December 2010 - 08:23 AM

guys, remember that there might become time, when certificate is needed just to hang around the worksite ;)

its happening here, and all over europe already, its only matter of time, when even the super skilled old professionals need to proof their skills, before they can go up to tower or even approach the work site, its just simple but sad fact guys..

to work alone here, one needs to have: (wtf lineman working alone?? yes, we do it here, and "able to work alone" means hes Journeyman by our terms)

training OR enough working experience (6 years if one hasnt got school diploma, 3 if he has diploma from electricity studies)
ISO SFS 6002 electricity diploma (card)
Work Safety certificate (card)
Road safety certificate (card)
EX/Fire safety diploma (card)
First Aid/CPR diploma (card)
Explosives training diploma (card, for making explosive wire entensions, not necessarily required)
Truck drivers licence/CDL (not always required by all companies)

im lacking 18mths of experience, and explosives training, rest i have, so i strongly suggest to check whats up around you and start looking for opportunities to get those what they talk as "might be required soon" http://www.line-man....tyle_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif just and idea, but kinda helps to keep ones nose on surface if some moron decides to change laws or such ;)

#14 Schmitty

Schmitty

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • Union: IBEW Local 1245

Posted 04 December 2010 - 05:30 PM

haha skrew the 5 years why not just go buy one down on the texas/ mexico border for 5 bucks...never goin rat again.

any one know when the jatc's on the pacific coast are going to be accepting again?

I interview last week for the south west jatc and got 84.5 percent..i figured they would tell me what number i was on the list but no... any idea how good or bad that is?

I got 2 buds in sw jatc. The last guy scored same as you did. He got picked up in Houston on the day of his second interview. (his first interview was in AZ.) He mentioned that Houston doesent have many guys on the list and that they need apprentices. You may have some good chances getting in there.

I applied with CAL NEV on 08/2009, interviewed in 07/2010 and started work 11/2010. They interviewed some 600 people in July. I have not heard of any news about more interviews. One of the directors stated that they are not taking applications while I was in climbing class.(11/2010).

By the way...sw texas border sells white tickets?! I dont see how. Most of the lineman down there dont even know what the hell that is, cant be much of a market! lol Dude I cannot begin to explain what a world of difference it is working out west vs that area. Never goin back baby. :sSp_clangrats:

#15 aerial-lineworker

aerial-lineworker

Flag Man

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:25 PM

hey guys I just graduated NLC a few weeks ago and a single company came through and hired 47 apprentices. There are deffinetly some great opportunities out there.

Look to where your going not where you have already been...

#16 Spence

Spence

Grimple

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 08:07 AM

I'm referring to this: http://www.lineman.e...oyment_2010.pdf

I've read on this forum that sometimes 4 out of 45+ students only get hired!!!! If I leave my current municipal "apprentice" lineman job in NJ to go to NLC in Idaho I want to know I've got a very good chance of landing a job, 4 out of 45 is just insane. I can't see that being worth the risk to quit and drive all the way out there, along with getting a 12k loan that I'll have to start paying off 6 months after school.

Could they really be completely lying about their 78% success rate? I'm smart, determined, strong and already have experience; I've hung 75kVA transformers, set 1000kVA pad mounts (all 4160) and know how to climb, I think I'd have a slight upper hand, but those odds just seem ridiculous.

My reason for wanting to leave is that my current job doesn't have any official training (I can't actually get my journeyman ticket with them), and the pay isn't great. The only positive is that it's stable, and with they direction the economy is heading that's sounding very good. I really want to move out west (Montana (ideally!), CO, Utah, etc) and become a Journeyman more than anything.

What are the hiring rates out of other schools? Besides NLC, I was considering Montana Techs program, but I can't find any concrete info on their hiring numbers.

Please chime in with your struggles on getting hired. How long it took, how many resumes you sent out, how many interviews you gave, etc., etc.

Any advice from experienced lineman/apprentices?

Thanks

#17 rex

rex

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 08:10 AM

I think the best option for you to do is to apply through programs such as NEAT or ALBAT.org depending on what area you want to work in and with your current work experience should help you score fairly high on their interview process and get you into a real apprenticeship program. And you can be making twice much as what you are currently making.

Thanks for the replies!

#18 Spence

Spence

Grimple

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 08:12 AM

I attended nlc Idaho back on 07' it's great to get a foot in the door...sure it costs 12k but it was a great experience and had a lot of fun with it...if you go to nlc and don't come out with a job it's your own fault because the opportunities are definitely there...Some people say it's a waste but out of that school I got app wages instead of ground man or laborer so the pay the first year paid for the school...to each their own but if you already have some experience looks like a jatc or take your skills down to the local ibew and see what they can do for ya.

#19 Krpv

Krpv

Grimple

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:21 PM

I attended nlc Idaho back on 07' it's great to get a foot in the door...sure it costs 12k but it was a great experience and had a lot of fun with it...if you go to nlc and don't come out with a job it's your own fault because the opportunities are definitely there...Some people say it's a waste but out of that school I got app wages instead of ground man or laborer so the pay the first year paid for the school...to each their own but if you already have some experience looks like a jatc or take your skills down to the local ibew and see what they can do for ya.

"if you go to nlc and don't come out with a job it's your own fault" Thats completely wrong, I went to NLC in oroville in early 2010. Me and a bunch of students were applying for ALOT of jobs during the term and didn't get hired when we graduated (there were about 6 that got hired when graduated working in WY). I can say about 20 people are working now that I know of and don't know about the rest. About 130 students graduated from my class. I don't think employment percentage is correct. If you decide to go, goto the Idaho campus; if I remember correctly you get your full Class A license. Man! getting a class A permit aint *****, which is what they require you to get in order to graduate at NLC oroville. If you check the apprentice lineman jobs or groundman jobs I'd say about 95% require a full Class A license not a worthless permit. Ibew doesnt require it though. If you do math it's not even possible for NLC's employment percentage to be right. I mean you have about 130 students graduating every 4 months from the oroville campus alone not including the Idaho campus and the Texas campus. Even further you have other line schools like SLTC and a bunch of others I've seen. I could be wrong but in my job search I haven't found that the number of apprentice and groundman jobs offered to be even close to the number of graduates and non schooled people wanting them. Going to school is still better than not going because a lot of place require to even be considered for employment. If I was already working in outside electrical work there is no way I would quit and go to line school, I would just apply for an IBEW apprenticeship and wait.

#20 gonnabethebestlinemanin

gonnabethebestlinemanin

Grimple

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:51 AM

"if you go to nlc and don't come out with a job it's your own fault" Thats completely wrong, I went to NLC in oroville in early 2010. Me and a bunch of students were applying for ALOT of jobs during the term and didn't get hired when we graduated (there were about 6 that got hired when graduated working in WY). I can say about 20 people are working now that I know of and don't know about the rest. About 130 students graduated from my class. I don't think employment percentage is correct. If you decide to go, goto the Idaho campus; if I remember correctly you get your full Class A license. Man! getting a class A permit aint *****, which is what they require you to get in order to graduate at NLC oroville. If you check the apprentice lineman jobs or groundman jobs I'd say about 95% require a full Class A license not a worthless permit. Ibew doesnt require it though. If you do math it's not even possible for NLC's employment percentage to be right. I mean you have about 130 students graduating every 4 months from the oroville campus alone not including the Idaho campus and the Texas campus. Even further you have other line schools like SLTC and a bunch of others I've seen. I could be wrong but in my job search I haven't found that the number of apprentice and groundman jobs offered to be even close to the number of graduates and non schooled people wanting them. Going to school is still better than not going because a lot of place require to even be considered for employment. If I was already working in outside electrical work there is no way I would quit and go to line school, I would just apply for an IBEW apprenticeship and wait.

well I hope that those aurnt the odds for me, i plan on attending NLC in oroville ca, for the2011 spring start.. and i cant wait to start, do anybody got any tips...