58 replies to this topic

#1 JuiceMane

JuiceMane

Grimple

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Industry: Other

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:10 AM

hello everyone. Im new to the site, and looking for a few answers. Ive noticed a lot of posts regarding the AT&T Prem Tech jobs and U-Verse work. Well, my family and I have moved to the Louisville, KY area, and im in need of serious work. My whole career has been blue collar and now im stuck working as a correctional officer for a little of nothing pay lol. I worked around 3 years of electrical construction, all commercial, a little res., doing everything really under a certified electrician. After that ive spent 6 years in the coal mining industry. In coal, the only wiring I ever messed with was 4160v, 995v, or 480v. As you can see nothing really in the communication wiring area lol...but I am familiar. I applied with AT&T upon moving here, took the little easy exam, and have waited nearly 2 months, and finally received a call stating my interview will take place over the phone within the week. The interview via phone seems like common sense, so hopefully itll work out. If it does im stuck with a dillema. Keep my state job, as a correctional officer, barely clearing $1900 a month with no chance of a raise(state froze raises for 2 years), and not being able to work with my hands...or take a gamble on the prem tech job. I hear the PT job usually is a temp/3 year contract job, depending on how u do, which isnt a big deal at the moment at least. my question is, is it worth it? long hours do not bother me(hell i worked in the mines), as well as 1 or none days off..working with customers does not bug me(im dealing with inmates, what could be worse). My ordeal is, im new to the area, so is my wife and child, i dont mind to travel, but just not A LOT. i figure with a job in a metro area little travel will be involved but who knows. Also, looking for an accurate, estimated gues-timate on starting pay. i figure around 12ish, if that. also, here is where the 3 year contract comes in for me...is it a shot in the dark as far as them keeping you on permanent? Or, if i do good damn work for 3 years without missing am i still in danger of being let go. also, where im not 100% familiar with communication and TV wiring, will the training help me enough to understand, jw? im not here to gripe, hell im not even hired, just trying to get a heads up to help with some decision making. Im just looking to find a career to start over fresh for my family in a new area. I understand a man has to start at the bottom, thats fine, just looking toward the future baby lol. Thanks for hearing me out!

#2 farmerjim

farmerjim

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • Industry: Telephone
  • Union: ex cwa

Posted 28 October 2010 - 04:47 AM

hello everyone. Im new to the site, and looking for a few answers. Ive noticed a lot of posts regarding the AT&T Prem Tech jobs and U-Verse work. Well, my family and I have moved to the Louisville, KY area, and im in need of serious work. My whole career has been blue collar and now im stuck working as a correctional officer for a little of nothing pay lol. I worked around 3 years of electrical construction, all commercial, a little res., doing everything really under a certified electrician. After that ive spent 6 years in the coal mining industry. In coal, the only wiring I ever messed with was 4160v, 995v, or 480v. As you can see nothing really in the communication wiring area lol...but I am familiar. I applied with AT&T upon moving here, took the little easy exam, and have waited nearly 2 months, and finally received a call stating my interview will take place over the phone within the week. The interview via phone seems like common sense, so hopefully itll work out. If it does im stuck with a dillema. Keep my state job, as a correctional officer, barely clearing $1900 a month with no chance of a raise(state froze raises for 2 years), and not being able to work with my hands...or take a gamble on the prem tech job. I hear the PT job usually is a temp/3 year contract job, depending on how u do, which isnt a big deal at the moment at least. my question is, is it worth it? long hours do not bother me(hell i worked in the mines), as well as 1 or none days off..working with customers does not bug me(im dealing with inmates, what could be worse). My ordeal is, im new to the area, so is my wife and child, i dont mind to travel, but just not A LOT. i figure with a job in a metro area little travel will be involved but who knows. Also, looking for an accurate, estimated gues-timate on starting pay. i figure around 12ish, if that. also, here is where the 3 year contract comes in for me...is it a shot in the dark as far as them keeping you on permanent? Or, if i do good damn work for 3 years without missing am i still in danger of being let go. also, where im not 100% familiar with communication and TV wiring, will the training help me enough to understand, jw? im not here to gripe, hell im not even hired, just trying to get a heads up to help with some decision making. Im just looking to find a career to start over fresh for my family in a new area. I understand a man has to start at the bottom, thats fine, just looking toward the future baby lol. Thanks for hearing me out!

imo i wouldn't go be a prem tech, while the co job doesn't pay much at least its stable and has stable hours prem tech doesn't. in prem tech you WILL be forced to stay each and every night until the work load is cleared which means you probably won't get to see the kids b4 they go to bed.their training is lack luster, and you will be held to production #'s that at times are unrealistic and if you don't make them you will be let go.starting pay i believe they just reduced it from around 12 to about 9. i wasn't a prem tech, but i did work att for 12yrs b4 being laid off, i thought i had a career there, and a person would think so after 12yrs of service but its not the place it used to be, there are almost no areas to advance to unless you want to be a manager, any of the other outside worker titles are being done away w/. good luck with whatever you decide.

#3 ExPrem Tech thanks GOD

ExPrem Tech thanks GOD

Flag Man

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Union: CWA

Posted 31 October 2010 - 01:21 AM

It's a tough question. I have said, in the last few years, that AT&T is no longer the company people stand in line for years at a time just waiting for a chance to work there. AT&T is not the same company it was five years ago. But when you have to put food on the table...

With your experience I would hope they would start you at 15 an hour. I think realistically you will get 10-12 an hour. If you have read my post about Premise Technicians its been about three months since I posted that. Things have changed some good and some bad. I also am not familiar with the hiring practices for premise technicians in your area. My first bit of advice, BEFORE you accept the job, would be to meet with the local CWA and request a copy of the contract that governs Premise Technicians. Ask the Union reps or if you are lucky the Local President the questions you asked here. Find out for sure if new hire Premise Techs are full time permanent or full time temporary employees. I was, before Premise Tech, a Temporary Employee, even if your agreement when you hire on is two years as a temporary worker you can be job completed the day after you are hired on and there is absolutely nothing the Union can or will do for you. I say that because it happened here in the town I live in to 50 temporary employees that were just a week in training when the company job completed them. I was hired under a two year temporary status and after two years the company did not make me permanent nor did they job complete me.

Some of the things that are getting better are that in my region, and I believe this holds true nation wide, Premise Technicians are now being allowed to have two days off. I know that sounds petty for some but when you work two years straight working 10-12 hours a day, six days a week while most of the other outside field employees are not treated that way, it gets old fast. On top of that since the Union did not negotiate a contract that insists that Premise Technicians have equal rights under the contract, you are discriminated against in the following way. An I&R technician can be forced to work overtime however, the contract that they are covered under allows them after 9 hours of overtime worked not only is it voluntary they get paid double time. As a Premise Technician you get time and a half for any over time worked and you work it or get fired.

Something that has gotten worse is that the Union still treats Premise Technicians as a group that they do not need to stand up for, but will gladly take you dues. For as long as Ma Bell has had field technicians working for the company, they have done everything based off of seniority. New truck rolls into the yard then senior person gets to take it or pass it by. Vacation and day offs, determined by seniority. Work schedules and in some cases areas of town to work in...assigned by seniority. Just this week the Union agreed to allow all seniority be stripped away from Premise Technicians, except as it applies to vacation schedules. I mention this because as a Premise Technician you CAN NOT depend on the Union to insist that the company treat you like any other employee. And I seriously doubt that will ever change...at least until the Premise Technicians have majority in the Union.

Here is how the pay works. You hire on at 12 dollars an hour. Every six months you will get a raise. If you hire on with two years experience then you have three years of 6 months steps until you get to 20.01. At least that is the top pay for Premise Technicians in District 6. By the time you hit top pay there most likely will be a new contract. It is rumored that Premise Technicians will be bumped up to roughly 25.00 an hour, but that is not definite. As a matter of fact, the CWA in the process of negotiating your contract, may simply sail you down the river as they have always done to Premise Technicians to try and help keep the employees in other positions what they have had in the past. Also take into consideration that no Premise Technician has ever been allowed to be on the contract negotiation groups, but there are plenty of other CWA members retired and current that work in the business office or from I&R that are on those contract negotiation groups.

Is it worth it?

Premise Technician absolutely is the hourly rate non college degree'd position of the future at AT&T. How could it not be when the company is surplussing every other position at AT&T, with a big round of surpluses coming around mid November. You most likely will never be anything more than a PT. Getting in now might assure yourself a good future it just depends on how the Union represents them in the future. Also, consider that with AT&T surplussing positions like I&R, Splicing and Construction, when those employees are surplussed the company offers them a Premise Tech position, whether there is an opening or not. They can come in and steal your job from you. Roughly 40-50 percent tend to take the PT job instead of hitting the streets.

Something to be mindful of...there is a good possibility that the company will offer you a job days before they expect you to report for work. Take that into consideration if you take the job and its only a temporary position with a two year shelf life.

I know I have written a lot here I just want you to make as good a decision as you can based on first hand experience.

#4 JuiceMane

JuiceMane

Grimple

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Industry: Other

Posted 01 November 2010 - 04:26 PM

It's a tough question. I have said, in the last few years, that AT&T is no longer the company people stand in line for years at a time just waiting for a chance to work there. AT&T is not the same company it was five years ago. But when you have to put food on the table...

With your experience I would hope they would start you at 15 an hour. I think realistically you will get 10-12 an hour. If you have read my post about Premise Technicians its been about three months since I posted that. Things have changed some good and some bad. I also am not familiar with the hiring practices for premise technicians in your area. My first bit of advice, BEFORE you accept the job, would be to meet with the local CWA and request a copy of the contract that governs Premise Technicians. Ask the Union reps or if you are lucky the Local President the questions you asked here. Find out for sure if new hire Premise Techs are full time permanent or full time temporary employees. I was, before Premise Tech, a Temporary Employee, even if your agreement when you hire on is two years as a temporary worker you can be job completed the day after you are hired on and there is absolutely nothing the Union can or will do for you. I say that because it happened here in the town I live in to 50 temporary employees that were just a week in training when the company job completed them. I was hired under a two year temporary status and after two years the company did not make me permanent nor did they job complete me.

Some of the things that are getting better are that in my region, and I believe this holds true nation wide, Premise Technicians are now being allowed to have two days off. I know that sounds petty for some but when you work two years straight working 10-12 hours a day, six days a week while most of the other outside field employees are not treated that way, it gets old fast. On top of that since the Union did not negotiate a contract that insists that Premise Technicians have equal rights under the contract, you are discriminated against in the following way. An I&R technician can be forced to work overtime however, the contract that they are covered under allows them after 9 hours of overtime worked not only is it voluntary they get paid double time. As a Premise Technician you get time and a half for any over time worked and you work it or get fired.

Something that has gotten worse is that the Union still treats Premise Technicians as a group that they do not need to stand up for, but will gladly take you dues. For as long as Ma Bell has had field technicians working for the company, they have done everything based off of seniority. New truck rolls into the yard then senior person gets to take it or pass it by. Vacation and day offs, determined by seniority. Work schedules and in some cases areas of town to work in...assigned by seniority. Just this week the Union agreed to allow all seniority be stripped away from Premise Technicians, except as it applies to vacation schedules. I mention this because as a Premise Technician you CAN NOT depend on the Union to insist that the company treat you like any other employee. And I seriously doubt that will ever change...at least until the Premise Technicians have majority in the Union.

Here is how the pay works. You hire on at 12 dollars an hour. Every six months you will get a raise. If you hire on with two years experience then you have three years of 6 months steps until you get to 20.01. At least that is the top pay for Premise Technicians in District 6. By the time you hit top pay there most likely will be a new contract. It is rumored that Premise Technicians will be bumped up to roughly 25.00 an hour, but that is not definite. As a matter of fact, the CWA in the process of negotiating your contract, may simply sail you down the river as they have always done to Premise Technicians to try and help keep the employees in other positions what they have had in the past. Also take into consideration that no Premise Technician has ever been allowed to be on the contract negotiation groups, but there are plenty of other CWA members retired and current that work in the business office or from I&R that are on those contract negotiation groups.

Is it worth it?

Premise Technician absolutely is the hourly rate non college degree'd position of the future at AT&T. How could it not be when the company is surplussing every other position at AT&T, with a big round of surpluses coming around mid November. You most likely will never be anything more than a PT. Getting in now might assure yourself a good future it just depends on how the Union represents them in the future. Also, consider that with AT&T surplussing positions like I&R, Splicing and Construction, when those employees are surplussed the company offers them a Premise Tech position, whether there is an opening or not. They can come in and steal your job from you. Roughly 40-50 percent tend to take the PT job instead of hitting the streets.

Something to be mindful of...there is a good possibility that the company will offer you a job days before they expect you to report for work. Take that into consideration if you take the job and its only a temporary position with a two year shelf life.

I know I have written a lot here I just want you to make as good a decision as you can based on first hand experience.

thanks for the insight. a lot of useful help here bro. as far as the pay goes, i expect it to start around 12ish, n biggy...but if u can make it to 15-20 hourly within that amount of time thatd be sweet. overtime isnt a factor, as i myself am use to 12-14 hour shifts, hell even 16, with usually sundays off, if that. my only issues are job security, travel, and training.
Travel, to the severity of traveling out of town for days and/or weeks at a time. I dont mind it for a day or 2, but if this is a travel type job, ill try my luck with electrical construction again ya know.
Job security. As far as security goes, i just dont want to drop my state job for a company who may fire you or let you go anytime they wish, and then there i will be, jobless and broke,lol.
Training, because like i mentioned im not familiar with much communication wiring, mainly just power. Im hoping the training will help me do my job to its potential, thataway they cant let me go, which falls back into security. ive done a lot of worrying, rambling, and questioning within this post guys and im sorry, but justtrying to get a feel for what is next, as I just completed the phone interview proces, and waiting on a job offer any day, thanks

#5 lugnut77

lugnut77

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:09 PM

Rumor has it that the prem techs might get about 25/hr in the next contract...not bad for guys who don't touch cable.

#6 thecheat

thecheat

Flag Man

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 06:31 PM

Rumor has it that the prem techs might get about 25/hr in the next contract...not bad for guys who don't touch cable.

I have my "Realistic Job Preview" next week for PT. Been trying to get in under something union for a while but this is about as good as I have been able to get. I was making $55k/yr doing desktop support in a newspaper and got laid off. I have a few questions:

How hard will it be to convince them to give me top wage for South Florida? (which is $15/hr) I have many years of PC and Mac experience, basic phone knowledge, strong networking, can run cable, etc. I was helping the PT install my Uverse service just to get it done quicker and insisted that he run cat5 to my set from my wiring cabinet. I had already fished a string, just made him go up and feed the cable. And I terminated it in my existing wallplate while he was doing something else.

My brother in law (who is an AT&T field tech here, and union of course) says that they might be finally bringing the PTs under the union - pretty much echoing what little I can find on the internet about it. If I'm hired on at $15/hr will they automatically raise me up if the minimum pay changes?

Since this is a non-union job, will I be able to transfer to a union job (if one comes up) before the transfer period (1.5 years?) is up by applying again?

Same question with transferring within the state... can I transfer within the state before 1.5 years or do I have to wait?

Umm... I think that's it... I was really hoping to get in years ago and then I started making way more money than they were paying down here to start... Then I got laid off... now I'm making $15/hr and am thrilled about being able to do OT to make up for losing my cushy (in hindsight) computer job.

Anyhow... hopefully I make it through my RJP next week. I read somewhere that once you make it past the phone interview (which I did) and the RJP, you are basically hired. Here's to hoping!

#7 Someone

Someone

Grimple

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Union: None

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:14 PM

I have my "Realistic Job Preview" next week for PT. Been trying to get in under something union for a while but this is about as good as I have been able to get. I was making $55k/yr doing desktop support in a newspaper and got laid off. I have a few questions:

How hard will it be to convince them to give me top wage for South Florida? (which is $15/hr) I have many years of PC and Mac experience, basic phone knowledge, strong networking, can run cable, etc. I was helping the PT install my Uverse service just to get it done quicker and insisted that he run cat5 to my set from my wiring cabinet. I had already fished a string, just made him go up and feed the cable. And I terminated it in my existing wallplate while he was doing something else.

My brother in law (who is an AT&T field tech here, and union of course) says that they might be finally bringing the PTs under the union - pretty much echoing what little I can find on the internet about it. If I'm hired on at $15/hr will they automatically raise me up if the minimum pay changes?

Since this is a non-union job, will I be able to transfer to a union job (if one comes up) before the transfer period (1.5 years?) is up by applying again?

Same question with transferring within the state... can I transfer within the state before 1.5 years or do I have to wait?

Umm... I think that's it... I was really hoping to get in years ago and then I started making way more money than they were paying down here to start... Then I got laid off... now I'm making $15/hr and am thrilled about being able to do OT to make up for losing my cushy (in hindsight) computer job.

Anyhow... hopefully I make it through my RJP next week. I read somewhere that once you make it past the phone interview (which I did) and the RJP, you are basically hired. Here's to hoping!

I have similar experience along with some construction and started at top starting pay, so I'd say your chances are pretty good.

The CWA has been "bringing us in at some point" for at least a couple years and I really don't expect to see the feet dragging stop anytime soon. Part of their reasoning in not bringing us in last contract was that it would save ST jobs, that failed miserably as there were huge surpluses twice after the contract was accepted. However, I do give them credit for trying, your current constituency is certainly more important than a future one. I'd wager though at least another year for an Appendix and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they drug it out another couple years til the next contract. But to answer your question if the pay scale is changed, then yes you'll get the raise.

No, you can not transfer to a union job even if one is available. You must quit, wait six months, then you can be rehired into a union position. I have seen in my garage them hire off the street for an open ST position while we were ineligible to apply for it.

Yes, you can transfer in region. (D3, Legacy BellSouth). However, you can not transfer out of the SE because all other regions are union. Transferring under the same area manager (an area is usually 1-2 markets) is particularly easy.

From what I recall of the RJP, it wasn't really an interview it all. Mine, I talked to the area manager, answered some questions the way it was obvious he wanted me to and that was about it. Really, just appear interested and don't do anything particularly stupid and that's about the best you can do. There were three other guys there and it wasn't like a real job interview at all, more of a chance to get a look at you and size you up.

Edit: And don't stop looking for other work. There is no career in being a PT. It pays decently and certainly pays the bills, but there is no future in the position. Even if the position is made union, the next logical step is ST which will be eliminated in the next 2-5 years. Current ST's will go up to FT or down to PT. In a rural area you might have a chance of moving up. In a metro area, even if you could transfer to core there is almost zero chance you will.

Edited by Someone, 02 December 2010 - 02:00 AM.

#8 thecheat

thecheat

Flag Man

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:58 AM

Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought. I've had to pick up work as a paralegal in the foreclosure industry and let me tell you, this is torture! I am used to working with my hands and fixing things and I'm at a desk 8 hours a day shuffling paperwork. It's great that it pays the bills but this isn't how I want to spend the rest of my life. Installing Uverse isn't either but I would like to eventually get to a point where I have a career again instead of just a job.

$15/hr is terrible compared to what I was making ($25/hr) but it is more than unemployment and the 12 hour days sound awful but the overtime sounds great. I could get back to what I was making before if I worked 60 hour weeks. :confused-smiley-013[1]:

#9 gman2277

gman2277

Line-God

• Members
  • 987 posts
  • Union: cwa local 4400

• Interests: ,my family, cars,sports and catv/phone

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:47 AM

well good luck guys.I have some friends who work for at&t and they say they get treated like crap for low pay like you mentioned.They are prem techs i think they install uverse i may be wrong though.I do know that my company just gave the union 60 days notice of a force reduction i think 64 jobs total.Mostly central office techs and clerks.No field techs were effected.

#10 ExPrem Tech thanks GOD

ExPrem Tech thanks GOD

Flag Man

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 06:07 PM

Well I can not tell you if not being union there in Florida is a blessing or not. You'll see, even when and if Union pulls prem techs under protection of a contract that you are still going to be treated differently as compared to I&R and Cable techs. At some point in time the union will disintegrate or Premise Technicians will become the majority in leadership positions and then Premise techs can make the contractual decisions for everyone instead of the cowards that are doing it now. The question that I would be asking is who is negotiating contracts for Premise Technicians in your district if the CWA does not have control of Premise Technicians and by extension offering Union protections to the Premise Tech's. My bet would be that CWA is negotiating those contracts. At least your district Union leaders do not screw you contractually and then insist you pay Union dues for such great Union protection as happens here in district 6.

The thing you want to consider is that especially in areas that have U-Verse, the AT&T is moving to push all I&R work to Premise Technicians which, in those areas, will only provide opportunities in cable repair and plant construction crews. For the last two years I&R and Cable Splicers have been hit, at Christmas time no less, by job surplus's. Those that are surplussed are offered first a chance to become Prem techs, and by contract rules those surplussed employees can take a Premise Tech's jobs if no openings exist, so job security for Prem Tech's...depends on if someone from I&R wants your job instead of being forced to the street. The second option, if they are lucky, is to move and relocate to take an I&R or Cable Splicers job in an area that has no U-Verse. As the contract, at least district 6's contract, states that after time and title (the 1.5 years you mentioned) you can put in for a transfer as a Premise Technician and/or you can put in a job vacancy request to apply for something in another department. However, the guys that I hired on with have reached time and title and when they ask for procedures on how to submit a JVR from their managers and some how mysteriously those managers forget how to do it and tell them they will check and see what procedures need to happen, even though the day before the managers were looking at the very website for themselves. And JVR's have to be approved by the area manager you are leaving and the area manager under the job you are wanting to move into. So honestly you will have a hell of a time trying to move into anything when managers have to approve it.

#11 thecheat

thecheat

Flag Man

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:02 PM

Had my Realistic Job Preview today and I guess it went well. There were 8 of us and the median age was about 35. There was only one guy with previous Bell System experience. I couldn't tell what anyone else did for a living and nobody really said anything. Didn't really look like guys who worked with their hands for a living though.

I was honestly surprised at the age of the other applicants... figured I would be one of the oldest at 34!

The person leading the RJP went through the basics... don't expect consecutive days off, 50-60 hours a week, they give you shirts, you buy your own pants and boots, no pole climbing in the SE, attics are hot in the summer, basic outline of jobs expected daily (2 installs and 1 trouble), training is two months, etc etc... Then they brought us around for a tour of the training area and after about 50 minutes we were done.

He did confirm the only good part about being non-union is that the surplussed union workers can't replace PTs without going through a 6 month time off period and then applying like anyone else off the street.

So I'm looking forward to good news when the recruiter calls back... hopefully in the next day or two. From what I understand, next step is the call with either a "no thanks" or a job offer with some sort of pay rate, then the background check, then the physical, THEN during training the school board background check - which is more intense.

#12 ExPrem Tech thanks GOD

ExPrem Tech thanks GOD

Flag Man

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:46 AM

Well if things keep going the way they are, premtechs will be the only thing left at AT&T working in the field.

#13 beerjunkie

beerjunkie

Grimple

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Industry: CATV

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:54 PM

Had my Realistic Job Preview today and I guess it went well. There were 8 of us and the median age was about 35. There was only one guy with previous Bell System experience. I couldn't tell what anyone else did for a living and nobody really said anything. Didn't really look like guys who worked with their hands for a living though.

I was honestly surprised at the age of the other applicants... figured I would be one of the oldest at 34!

The person leading the RJP went through the basics... don't expect consecutive days off, 50-60 hours a week, they give you shirts, you buy your own pants and boots, no pole climbing in the SE, attics are hot in the summer, basic outline of jobs expected daily (2 installs and 1 trouble), training is two months, etc etc... Then they brought us around for a tour of the training area and after about 50 minutes we were done.

He did confirm the only good part about being non-union is that the surplussed union workers can't replace PTs without going through a 6 month time off period and then applying like anyone else off the street.

So I'm looking forward to good news when the recruiter calls back... hopefully in the next day or two. From what I understand, next step is the call with either a "no thanks" or a job offer with some sort of pay rate, then the background check, then the physical, THEN during training the school board background check - which is more intense.

Here in Atlanta it took 2 months from the RJP for them to call me, but mine was before Thanksgiving. Didnt think they would hire till new year anyway.
If you get called do the drug and physical do it ASAP. Dont wait as they have probably called others as well and the wait took about 3.5 hours. Also the background check was done outside of AT&T and they were very thorough.
Good luck!!!

#14 thecheat

thecheat

Flag Man

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:12 PM

Well, here's my timeline:

September; apply for PT position.
November; phone interview
December; RJP
January; Physical, drug test, background check
February; Official AT&T employee
March; Report to training

How insane... remember when it used to be someone needs a position filled, you need a job, you start next week?

I'm first alternate in a mid February class so hopefully I get in that and get in a few weeks early. It's interesting that I'm already assigned to a garage, too bad it's on the other end of the county from where I live. Was hoping it would be another garage that is 20 minutes closer to home and by my wife's work.

So being a PT may suck, there's no union, bad pay, etc... but it beats being a foreclosure paralegal which I have been fumbling through for the past 3 months. If I can do that, I can do anything!

#15 beerjunkie

beerjunkie

Grimple

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Industry: CATV

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:00 PM

Well, here's my timeline:

September; apply for PT position.
November; phone interview
December; RJP
January; Physical, drug test, background check
February; Official AT&T employee
March; Report to training

How insane... remember when it used to be someone needs a position filled, you need a job, you start next week?

I'm first alternate in a mid February class so hopefully I get in that and get in a few weeks early. It's interesting that I'm already assigned to a garage, too bad it's on the other end of the county from where I live. Was hoping it would be another garage that is 20 minutes closer to home and by my wife's work.

So being a PT may suck, there's no union, bad pay, etc... but it beats being a foreclosure paralegal which I have been fumbling through for the past 3 months. If I can do that, I can do anything!

Your schedule is exactly like mine. Orientation on 2/25, then start in March. I also am assigned to a garage, and it too is not the closest to my house.
Will post as things progress. I really dont think its as bad as most have been posting. As I told my wife, people will always post the negative but seldom the positive. Thats why I started the positive thread.
Good luck

#16 thecheat

thecheat

Flag Man

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:32 PM

Apparently newbies start off in the worst parts of town and work up. My brother in law works as a ft and he was in the ghetto for his first 5 years. Now he's 5 minutes from his house in a nice garage.

Hopefully there will be a union contract at some point and we get a boost in pay.

Good luck to you, too! How bad can it be, right? I think the long-timers are too insulated to how non-union labor is run. You work too hard on too much stuff to be able to take any amount of pride in your work but you gotta bust your ass because they'll fire you and replace you with someone who works for less or just make your coworkers work harder for the same pay.

Edited by thecheat, 01 February 2011 - 05:36 PM.

#17 Smith

Smith

Grimple

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:26 PM

Apparently newbies start off in the worst parts of town and work up. My brother in law works as a ft and he was in the ghetto for his first 5 years. Now he's 5 minutes from his house in a nice garage.

Hopefully there will be a union contract at some point and we get a boost in pay.

Good luck to you, too! How bad can it be, right? I think the long-timers are too insulated to how non-union labor is run. You work too hard on too much stuff to be able to take any amount of pride in your work but you gotta bust your ass because they'll fire you and replace you with someone who works for less or just make your coworkers work harder for the same pay.

I was at the RJP with you back in December and got a call back last week. I was first alt for Jan 31 class, but am set for the Feb 21 training. After training i am stationed in Pompano, which sucks because i live out in Plantation. Looking forward to working with you, just hope it doesn't suck to bad....

#18 thecheat

thecheat

Flag Man

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:43 PM

I was at the RJP with you back in December and got a call back last week. I was first alt for Jan 31 class, but am set for the Feb 21 training. After training i am stationed in Pompano, which sucks because i live out in Plantation. Looking forward to working with you, just hope it doesn't suck to bad....

Small world! Hopefully someone drops out of the Feb 21 class so I can get in... I'm so ready to get out of this job I'm in now, it suuuuuuucks.

I was hoping to get placed at the garage by Peters and 441 (I think they do Uverse out of there, too, not sure..) that's only half an hour from my house. Granted, there shouldn't be too much traffic getting to work for 7:30am.

#19 Smith

Smith

Grimple

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:45 AM

Small world! Hopefully someone drops out of the Feb 21 class so I can get in... I'm so ready to get out of this job I'm in now, it suuuuuuucks.

I was hoping to get placed at the garage by Peters and 441 (I think they do Uverse out of there, too, not sure..) that's only half an hour from my house. Granted, there shouldn't be too much traffic getting to work for 7:30am.

Yeah, i am hoping there will be some way to swap garages, but its not that huge of a deal. I'm just hoping i don't kill myself juggling this job and being a full time college student... next 2 years will be very hectic for me.

#20 thecheat

thecheat

Flag Man

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 02:21 PM

I think you're going to be pretty busy if you have full time college and full time work.

What boots are you getting? I was looking at the Red Wing Worx boots with a steel toe. I know they said you don't have to have a steel toe but if I'm spending $100 on boots I may as well get it. My problem is I have a big foot and most boots don't run past 13 and I need a 14 or 15 most times.

I found cheaper boots but the heel wasn't 90 degrees and I wasn't about to try and trim it to comply with the requirement... may as well get the right boot and save trouble.

There is a Red Wing corporate store on the other side of the street from the Home Depot in Sunrise off of University Drive and I"m going to try some shoes on there - hope they run big!