1 reply to this topic

#1 jnr-akers

jnr-akers

Grimple

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Industry: Other

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:35 AM

Ok so here's the deal. I am currently employed. I work for a cellular phone company. I currently make a base pay of 37500 plus a comission every quarter. I have been offered a position as an AT&T Prem Tech. I have 3 small children and am looking for a stable company with room for advancement. From everything on here it makes me really hesitant to take the position. I would apreciate any feedback. Is it really as bad as everyone says or are all these posts from disgruntled employees. Please help

#2 farmerjim

farmerjim

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • Industry: Telephone
  • Union: ex cwa

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:01 PM

Ok so here's the deal. I am currently employed. I work for a cellular phone company. I currently make a base pay of 37500 plus a comission every quarter. I have been offered a position as an AT&T Prem Tech. I have 3 small children and am looking for a stable company with room for advancement. From everything on here it makes me really hesitant to take the position. I would apreciate any feedback. Is it really as bad as everyone says or are all these posts from disgruntled employees. Please help

1st off i will say i was never a prem tech but i did work for att for 12yrs in the installation repair dept. and construction and was laid off basically surplused they had too many people in my dept. it was my own choice as our contract states we have a choice of a "gauranteed job" or severence. it was 1 of the hardest decisions of my life to just leave and give up a good paying good benefits job, i had a choice of a prem tech job,business office job or severence. i used to see the prem techs all the time and i talked to a few about what it was like working as a prem tek, many of them liked the work which i'm sure i wouldn't have had an issue w/ they hated the treatment they got by mgmnt. like not being able to go home on time, if it was a slow day they forced them to take time off after they came in to work, not being given time to do the job correct basically just throw it together and move on, the list goes on. it was starting to get that way where i was also and i realized that what was once a good career job was going downhill fast and not uphill like i wanted to. about the only position a prem tech could transfer to would be a manager, as the other jobs you would possibly want to transfer to are all being surplused and laid off. imho i would probably stay put the money maybe be better as a prem tech,but trust me your family life will suffer. also if you do take the prem job and hate it its tough to look elsewhere because you are constantly working and don't have the time. finally not sure what state you're in but out in new england area where i am at the prem techs are "term" employees and very few get hired on full time and most get "completed" at or near the end of their "term" which is 3yrs. whatever you decide good luck to you.