Photo
- - - - -

What is your definition of a "qualified lineman"?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 crewleader

crewleader

Grimple

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Industry: Power

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:56 PM

This topic is up for debate with me and several "higher-up's. Please help me out by giving me your definition of what you believe a qualified lineman is...

Edited by crewleader, 24 May 2009 - 08:31 PM.

#2 Lightningrod

Lightningrod

Line-God

• 6923 posts
  • Union: I.B.E.W. Local 37

• Interests: linework, hunting and nascar style racing. crewmember of prostock team

Posted 24 May 2009 - 07:25 PM

Well here is the best I can give you for our area:

Qualified Lineman: Must hold a certificate of qualification issused under the apprenticeship and occupational certification act for the lineman trade, or be a registered apprentice working under thier supervision.

#3 wood stabber

wood stabber

Jedi-Lineman

• 326 posts
  • Union: IBEW 1245 Journeyman Power Lineman

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:48 AM

That certification needs to come from the "United States Dept. of Labor". Not from some outfit that says "they " can give you a ticket. Mr. Rod is 100% correct,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, W.S.

#4 rcdallas

rcdallas

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • Union: IBEW Local 69

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:50 PM

That certification needs to come from the "United States Dept. of Labor". Not from some outfit that says "they " can give you a ticket. Mr. Rod is 100% correct,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, W.S.

I agree with that... something on paper... not cause po dunk electric says so!!

#5 Sbatts1

Sbatts1

Battman

• Members
  • 485 posts
  • Union: IBEW Local 304 Topeka KS
  • Interests: Motorcycles, Trucks Boats Planes Travel and Motor Homes

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:58 PM

A retired lineman after 41 years with all his fingers and toes, and has never killed a pole buddy.

#6 sparkandbark

sparkandbark

Flag Man

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Union: ibew local 77.109

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:26 PM

A person who is familiar with the construction of, or operation of such lines and/or equipment that concerns his/her position and who is fully aware of the hazards connected therewith, or, one who has passed a journey status examination for the particular branch of the electrical trades with which he/she may be connected.

Note 1: An employee must have the training required by WAC 296-45-065(1) in order to be considered a qualified employee.

Note 2: (Apprentice) Except under WAC 296-45-25510(12), an employee who is undergoing on-the-job training and who, in the course of such training, has demonstrated an ability to perform duties safely at his or her level of training and who is under the direct supervision of a qualified person is considered to be a qualified person,

SO, any apprentice under the direct supervision of a journeyman, or anyone who has passed their journeyman's test.

Edited by sparkandbark, 19 November 2009 - 06:28 PM.