101 replies to this topic

#1 olo131

olo131

CATV is my life

• Admin
  • 10655 posts
  • Industry: CATV
  • Union: no

• Interests: CATV!! Is there any thing else?

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:09 AM

I have been fighting my company to up our on call pay. I would like to know how much your call is, weekly or by the day.

We are paid 112.00 or 16.00 a day depending if someone has to cover for you.

Cablevision in the early 90's it was 120.00 a week
Mediacom in the late 90's it was 140.00 a week
Knology only paid 100.00 until last year when they raised it to 112.00

Thank you
olo131

#2 Lightningrod

Lightningrod

Line-God

• 6918 posts
  • Industry: Power
  • Union: I.B.E.W. Local 37

• Interests: linework, hunting and nascar style racing. crewmember of prostock team

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:56 AM

I'm at a power utility and our guys get a min of $30.80 per hour and are on call 1 week out of 6, they get 10 hours pay which is 1 hour per night Mon --Thur and 2 hours per night for Fri--Sun. :nono:

Edited by Lightningrod, 31 January 2009 - 08:59 AM.

#3 olo131

olo131

CATV is my life

• Admin
  • 10655 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:03 AM

lightningrod, Thank you for your info...

#4 Robert F

Robert F

Line-God

• Members
  • 971 posts
  • Industry: Telephone
  • Union: IBEW 1203

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:42 AM

Most utilities I've worked for paid you in the manner lightingrod said. One hour of pay per weekday and either 1.5 or 2 hours of pay on the weekends.

#5 olo131

olo131

CATV is my life

• Admin
  • 10655 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:54 AM

Robert F, Thank you

#6 Ladderman

Ladderman

TOP Dawg

• Members
  • 268 posts
  • Interests: Have a personal museum of linemen bucket bags etc in the garage, always experimenting and finding ways to make my job more efficient. Water pumping windmills, visiting families old farm south of McCook Nebraska. Taking drives out to Middle to Northwest Kansas. Windmill country. And Cable,Cable, Cable. My very young kids, wife, and this site.

Posted 31 January 2009 - 12:48 PM

I would take that in a hearbeat. We only get $75.00 for the week just to be on call, and if we had our 40 hours by Wednesday, we were told, (our on call starts on a Saturday, 10 hour days by the way), not to come in until after hours if we were to be called out. Well as of last week if we get our 40 hours by Wednesday for example, we can't be told to not come in anymore. It is now our choice if we want to come in or not. You bet I would be going in those extra days to get my extra play money! It is our choice though. Most will not, but I am all about the $$$$$$, especially with 4 kids, so I will take full advantage. It does not make the $75.00 sound as bad anymore. Also what help me and another guy is we come in twice a week for nightwork. The hours of 12-6AM is shift differential pay, and we would make just over another $30.00 extra a week. I plant to keep that going as long as I can make it last. Maybe our on call pay goes off the cost of living in our area. Not sure. It could be better for sure.

Edited by Ladderman, 31 January 2009 - 12:53 PM.

#7 olo131

olo131

CATV is my life

• Admin
  • 10655 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 02:41 PM

Ladderman, Thank you

We do things different, when we do night work (windows as they call it) from 2-6 am and get no shift differential. The rules for us is " if the majority of your hours fall in the 3pm -12am 2nd shift @5% and 11pm -8am 3rd shift @10%" so if you do night work to get the differential you lose your overtime and my philosophy is if you asked me to come in and work for you on my personal time for overtime I'm expecting to be paid don't ask me to go home or come in early especially if I'm on call... Sorry I will now get of my soap box ( kinda of a sore subject for us at my company).

#8 olo131

olo131

CATV is my life

• Admin
  • 10655 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 03:34 PM

I'm at a power utility and our guys get a min of $30.80 per hour and are on call 1 week out of 6, they get 10 hours pay which is 1 hour per night Mon --Thur and 2 hours per night for Fri--Sun. :nono:

Are you saying that the total is 308.00 per week???? I'll take that anyday!!!!

olo131

#9 Lightningrod

Lightningrod

Line-God

• 6918 posts
  • Industry: Power
  • Union: I.B.E.W. Local 37

• Interests: linework, hunting and nascar style racing. crewmember of prostock team

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:32 PM

I'm at a power utility and our guys get a min of $30.80 per hour and are on call 1 week out of 6, they get 10 hours pay which is 1 hour per night Mon --Thur and 2 hours per night for Fri--Sun. :fuk:

Are you saying that the total is 308.00 per week???? I'll take that anyday!!!!

olo131

Yes that's correct. :nono: We also get 4 hrs pay for every callout, even if it only takes 10 minutes to do the call (reconnect as an example)as long as you get home before dispatch calls you again. I once got 3 callouts (12 hrs pay) in only 1hr & 45min of time.
Yes this is alot but i have also been up a pole at -42c wind chill with 4' of snow down in a backlot to change out a 1200lbs burntout 75kva tx. :pissedoff[1]:

Edited by Lightningrod, 31 January 2009 - 08:33 PM.

#10 lastcenturytel

lastcenturytel

Line-God

• 638 posts
  • Union: None

• Interests: Volunteer Firefighter, Fly Fishing

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:44 PM

Our's was pretty good....1 hour pay for every 8 hours on standby. The company up and changed it this past fall, because we're not union they can do whatever they want. Now it's a plain $20 a day whether its a whole saturday or just after hours on standby during the week. And you get $40 if its a holiday. It's f#@king b#!!sh!t, is what it is.

#11 olo131

olo131

CATV is my life

• Admin
  • 10655 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:03 AM

lastcenturytel, Thank you

I agree 20.00 is a load of crap and I'm fighting to change the on call pay for my company, going as far as to have friends from competing cable companies give me documentation from their handbooks with their on call information. They can't dispute hard facts. Now I know the Squeaky wheel get the grease or sometimes gets replaced so I try to play it cool and only ask about it in employee meeting so that everyone understands what is going on. We have no union either so understanding the rules (their rules) is important. Now you know why I asked about on call pay.

I see 97 people have viewed this post but only 4 have replied I know more then 4 people pull call here speak up you might hear of a way to change your on call pay!!!

Again Thank You for your Information.

Edited by olo131, 01 February 2009 - 10:35 AM.

#12 Rural Service Rep.

Rural Service Rep.

Flag Man

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:10 PM

We get $50.00 a day on weekends or holidays, nothing extra for weeknights, 1.5 overtime for anything after 8 hours, 1.5 overtime on weekends. Wish we would get a minimum call-out pay but we don't.

#13 cablewithaview

cablewithaview

truly sucks ass

• 5467 posts
  • Union: God created us all equal, Union divides us.

• Interests: God, family, cable tv, computer

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:43 PM

All BBT's for Charter were pulled off rotation and no longer paid to pull on call here for Georgia and Alabama. They work their routes and system techs take care of the rest.

#14 Norscaner

Norscaner

Line-God

• Members
  • 823 posts
  • Union: IBEW Local 339

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:06 PM

We are on call once every 12 weeks. Our call out shift runs Friday 4pm to next Friday 8am. During the week we work 10am to 6pm. We get 2hours pay for every 8hour shift covered. Minimum 2 hours if called out at double time rate. So in a week we end up getting 4 hours pay for Saturday and 6 hours forSunday. Monday,Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday we get 3.5 hours and 2 hours for Friday.
So if I get a call to do a cable locate after hours I automatically get 2 hours @ double time even if it is a clearance.....no truck roll out just roll over and go back to sleep. If I get called after 1:30 am I get 8 hrs rest time up until 6am. So call me @ 5am and I do a clearance I don't have to go in until1pm all paid......This prevents the Bullshit calls from happening and wakening you for nothing.
This all sounds sweet and fine but like L Rod I too have been called @-35F and end up working 24hrs without a rest break..Worst call was Christmas Eve just as we sat down to supper.Lucky I married a very understanding woman.
It really pays to be an IBEW member in our case.

#15 LittleBeave

LittleBeave

Grimple

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:39 AM

Ours is a variation of many of your posted plans, and I don't think you can even begin to compare Union's on call to non-union, there is a huge disparity there, that I wouldn't imagine will be changing anytime soon. They changed ours this last year, we used to get an automatic 2 hours for a call out. Now we punch in and out when called and when home. Standby is 2 hours of pay per day, no differentiation on weekdays or weekends.

So far that is pretty good. Although, recently we now are rated during our annual performance reviews as to how available we were anytime throughout the year when we weren't on call or scheduled to work, i.e. ;when the -40 wind chills show up and when everyone wants to hide inside, when a Tornado rips a community apart, things out of our control were they need bodies to help repair. We get called and asked to work, knowing it can be used on your review... I'll leave any thoughts on that up to your imagination as I haven't set up my profile to hide who I am at all or where I work haha : ) >

That said, our On Call itself is very minimal, as we have been 24 hours for 2 years now. So you can be on call your 1 of 2 weeks asked the whole year, and never get called!

#16 olo131

olo131

CATV is my life

• Admin
  • 10655 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:32 PM

Thank you, LittleBeave, Norscaner, cablewithaview, and Rural Service Rep.

Sorry I didn't get back quicker I started our proofs the 24 hr. so I had to go to bed early (no super bowel for me).
I think I will give the one hour pay per day thing a try, but I'm afraid the are going to stick to their guns.....I'll keep trying.

again thank you
olo131

#17 Norscaner

Norscaner

Line-God

• Members
  • 823 posts
  • Union: IBEW Local 339

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:15 PM

Thank you, LittleBeave, Norscaner, cablewithaview, and Rural Service Rep.

Sorry I didn't get back quicker I started our proofs the 24 hr. so I had to go to bed early (no super bowel for me).
I think I will give the one hour pay per day thing a try, but I'm afraid the are going to stick to their guns.....I'll keep trying.

again thank you
olo131

Just a reminder we never achieved our contract in one step....this comes from years of contract negotiations ....a little give ....a little receive...... a few strikes, where we lost big time and gained big time....... be patient , one hour per day is better than what you have now.

Good Luck Nor

:smilie_daumenpos[1]:

#18 olo131

olo131

CATV is my life

• Admin
  • 10655 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:58 PM

thank you Guys for your replies Sorry I haven't responded we just finished our Proofs and that took up my time. My one week of hell.

Oh and I'll take that patience advice sounds like a good one!!

olo131

#19 Freshmixture

Freshmixture

Flag Man

• Members
  • 22 posts

• Interests: Happily married to my beautiful wife Danette for 17 years, father to my son Andrew. I'm a Freemason, a Google Maps Editor, Foursquare Superuser (Level 2), a Waze Area Manager (Level 4), owner of a extensive Apple orchard, Employee Of The Year 2000

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:40 PM

I get $120 for the week and a 2 hour minimum call out.

That will be changing shortly though. They are adding special rates after 4:30pm and after 12:00am

But we have 7 day a week maintenance coverage.

Mon-Fri: 8:00am to 12:00am

Sat-Sun: 8:00am to 4:30pm

So these new rates might be useless soon.

More to follow.....

#20 olo131

olo131

CATV is my life

• Admin
  • 10655 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 08:03 PM

Thank you Freshmixture

I just found out they made a change in our shift Diff to 11:30am to 12:00am 5% witch is funny no one works that shift and Our night work is from 12:00am to 6:00am so no shift diff.

I think they think we are not keeping up with what they are doing.

olo131