#1 CJ773

CJ773

Flag Man

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Industry: Power
  • Union: IBEW Local 9

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:02 PM

Hey guys I have an interview coming up with ALBAT in a couple of weeks and was wondering if any of you had an interview with them before. If so do you remember any types of questions they will ask? I just don't want to be caught off guard and start studdering from being nervous. In the letter it says:

During this personal interview, the Subcommittee will be asking you questions concerning your past work experience, education, hobbies, and interests. Each subcommittee member will then give you a numerical score. The scores will be averaged and you will be slotted into the applicable Local Union standby list according to this numerical score.

Does anyone know exactly what they score you on? I'm sure they give you some bonus points for having your CDL, but how do they score you on your hobbies/interests? If they don't like football and you say you do will they give you a 5 instead of a 10 or something? Any info would help a lot, I'm pretty damn nervous. Thanks guys

- Chris :ernaehrung004[1]:

#2 MichaelS

MichaelS

Flag Man

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Industry: Other
  • Interests: Electric, Linework, Working on old cars, Guns, and reloading ammo

Posted 06 January 2009 - 05:59 PM

My ALBAT interview was a breeze . All they ask is past work history, are you afraid of heights, and a few job related questions. I was ranked #12 and still waiting on stand by.

-Mike

#3 who cares

who cares

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Union: IBEW 962

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:33 PM

My ALBAT interview was a breeze . All they ask is past work history, are you afraid of heights, and a few job related questions. I was ranked #12 and still waiting on stand by.

-Mike

how long ago was your interview?
And are you 12 on the list or just out of the people interviewed?
How long has it been since you applied?

#4 MichaelS

MichaelS

Flag Man

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:43 PM

I applied in Jan '08 , was interviewed in June and I am #12 on the list for my local. The part that sucks is they have not taken anyone yet since I have been on the list.

#5 CJ773

CJ773

Flag Man

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:29 PM

If ya don't mind me asking what local are you trying to get into? And do you remember any of the job related questions they asked? Or any at all? And congrats on #12, a lot of people are laid off right now so I would assume there is going to be a pretty long wait. I know about 180 people from Local 9 just got laid off about a month ago.

- Chris

Edit: Did you have your Class A CDL at the time of the interview?

Edited by CJ773, 06 January 2009 - 10:31 PM.

#6 who cares

who cares

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Union: IBEW 962

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:21 AM

If ya don't mind me asking what local are you trying to get into? And do you remember any of the job related questions they asked? Or any at all? And congrats on #12, a lot of people are laid off right now so I would assume there is going to be a pretty long wait. I know about 180 people from Local 9 just got laid off about a month ago.

- Chris

Edit: Did you have your Class A CDL at the time of the interview?

why are so many laid off?
is work slow or is it that time of year?

#7 MichaelS

MichaelS

Flag Man

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:55 PM

Local 309 in Collinsville, IL. They asked things like if I have ever ran any type of equipment, ever worked at heights, and any experience with various tools. That was pretty much it. I was not in there long at all. I did have my CDL at the time of the interview, my current job requires one. Hopefully its not to long of a wait, we have a big power plant job starting up down here thats supposed to take a bunch of man power from all sorts of trades.

-Mike

#8 CJ773

CJ773

Flag Man

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:27 PM

why are so many laid off?
is work slow or is it that time of year?

I'm not too sure I didn't ask the guy why. I'm assuming its because its the winter and on top of it the economy is pretty screwed.

Local 309 in Collinsville, IL. They asked things like if I have ever ran any type of equipment, ever worked at heights, and any experience with various tools. That was pretty much it. I was not in there long at all. I did have my CDL at the time of the interview, my current job requires one. Hopefully its not to long of a wait, we have a big power plant job starting up down here thats supposed to take a bunch of man power from all sorts of trades.

Thanks for the info and good luck! Keep us posted

#9 flatbedin

flatbedin

Grimple

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Union: Ibew LU 1393

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:35 AM

I went to LU1393 for an interview back in late October of '08. I started IT 1-5-09. I know that there are a few guys from 309 at school, but I believe that they have been working for 6 months or so. The interview is mainly of past work experience, and attitude. Brotherhood is priority 1 when working 50ft off the ground. You have to be able to communicate well with others, and help and watch your fellow crew's back.

Good luck and when going to IT be prepared for your body to get sore and tired, and study, study, study... And remember attitude is first above all. Give 100% every day. Read your assignments, study your knots, and listen well.

#10 MichaelS

MichaelS

Flag Man

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:55 PM

Good luck gettting through IT. Keep us posted on how it going.

-Mike

#11 mer17

mer17

Grimple

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Union: IBEW Local 17

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:54 AM

Hey Chris

I had my ALBAT interview out of Local 17 a few weeks ago. It wasn't like any interview I've had before. My advice to you and anyone else interviewing. Go in there with confidence and SELL yourself. (even if your hands are dripping with sweat!) Right off the bat, tell them everything they've asked for in that letter that could possibly relate to the apprenticeship. Emphasize any related work experience . If you're a Groundman/Driver be specific about exactly what type of work you've done. I thought they would lead the interview a little more. It was short and sweet. I scored a six!

Now, I understand that score can fluctuate up or down as they do more interviews throughout the year and begin to send people to IT. A buddy of mine, already in the apprenticeship, told me he called ALBAT once a month to find out his score. I know ALBAT has an IT class scheduled every month for the first part of the year of '09. It's a matter of how many your Local wants to send.

Good Luck Guys! Hope to see you at Pole Climbing School!

- Mark

P.S. Anyone already learning your knots? Just curious!!!

#12 wdw

wdw

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • Union: IBEW Local 369

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:46 AM

I interviewed in June 08. Went to "IT" schooll in October. Been working since November. The interview was really informal. Discussed past work experience, hobbies, and why I wanted to be a lineman. My advice is go in relaxed. There not there to run you off or make you you feel uncomfortable. My interview lasted 10 to 15 minuetes. I almost enjoyed it. Like talking to old friends.

#13 CJ773

CJ773

Flag Man

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:40 AM

Thanks a lot guys, my interviews tomorrow morning and damn could I be more nervous. haha I'll let you guys know how I do

- Chris

#14 CJ773

CJ773

Flag Man

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 03:13 PM

Well I just got my letter back from ALBAT saying my application and personal interview has been properly considered by the Subcommittee, but no score was given. I was under the impression that they print it on the letter? Maybe I just did that bad and don't wanna show me haha.. Just got it at about 5pm on Saturday so I'll give them a call Monday morning and see whats goin on.. Anyone else get a letter like this?

#15 MichaelS

MichaelS

Flag Man

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:20 PM

I had to call in for mine, it was not printed on the letter.

Mike

#16 highliner17

highliner17

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Union: IBEW Local 702

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:30 AM

I Just interviewed with 702 Tue 27th, but I have also interviewed out west with Mountain States. From my experiance. Most take about two weeks before they put guys on the list. Some take less time some take more. I wouldn't worry bout it if your not hearing your spot right away. It took me three weeks of calling before I got my spot for Mountain States. I give them there two weeks, then I call every day after. Good luck to you, hope the news is all good. :smilie_daumenpos[1]:

#17 CJ773

CJ773

Flag Man

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 01:40 PM

Called them up today and I ranked #1 with Local 9!! :soldier[1]: Time to practice tying those knots, hope I see some of you guys in climbin school! :smilie_daumenpos[1]:

- Chris

#18 highliner17

highliner17

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Union: IBEW Local 702

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:35 PM

Called them up today and I ranked #1 with Local 9!! :mf_w00t2: Time to practice tying those knots, hope I see some of you guys in climbin school! :soldier[1]:

- Chris

CONGRATZ :lol: CONGRATZ :wub: CONGRATZ :Voskl1[1]: Glad to see some guyz who really want it are get'n the spot they deserve! I hope that my interview went as well as yours, and hope even more that my news iz as good. if so, I'll see you at IT. :14_6_7[1]:

Cheerz :smilie_daumenpos[1]:

#19 CJ773

CJ773

Flag Man

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:12 PM

Thanks a lot man, good luck to ya and keep us posted! :arsch[1]: