nichet

Flag Man

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Industry: Power
  • Union: NO

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:00 AM

Hi everyone, My first post.
Will you share your views on Pole Top Rescue Training. Is it necessary? What are the requirements / pre-requisites for such a training? Procedure? any info that might be helpfull.

#2 639 & 1/2

639 & 1/2

Southern Redneck Gutterchick

• Members
  • 4853 posts
  • Industry: Other
  • Interests: My kids and grandkids, Trouble's kids, grandkids, drinking beer.......then hunting, fishing, riding 4-wheelers, drinking beer..........after that, what else is there ?!?!

Posted 01 July 2008 - 03:09 PM

Is it necessary?

Would you want to be up on a pole, hurt, and no one on the ground knew how to get yer :ernaehrung004[1]: down???

I'm sure the guys and gals can give you all the "poop" on pole top rescue.

By the way Nichet......welcome to the site......glad to have you on board

#3 strange052

strange052

Fallen Never Forgotten, Support our Troops

• 3930 posts
  • Industry: Telephone
  • Union: TWU 202

Posted 01 July 2008 - 03:59 PM

Is it necessary?

Would you want to be up on a pole, hurt, and no one on the ground knew how to get yer :ernaehrung004[1]: down???

Is it necessary????? Buddy, let me ask you this, You are working at 35' and you make a mistake and get hurt, or pass out from heat stroke or some other unfortunate thing happens to you, do you want someone to tell your wife or family "that because someone decided that Pole Rescue wasnt necessary, we couldnt rescue you" and now your family has to plan a funeral.

Or would you rather we tell your family that " we were able to do CPR and rescue you from the pole and you will be ok after a hospital stay."

Pole top rescue is the only way to get you down with any chance of surviving. Just ask BestBudFam, a fellow member of this site, if he thinks PTR is necessary.

Ask any hand and they will tell you it is the one thing they hope to never have to use, but are very comfortable doing it, and can do it if needed.

#4 639 & 1/2

639 & 1/2

• Members
  • 4853 posts
  • Interests: My kids and grandkids, Trouble's kids, grandkids, drinking beer.......then hunting, fishing, riding 4-wheelers, drinking beer..........after that, what else is there ?!?!

Posted 01 July 2008 - 04:42 PM

Is it necessary?

Is it necessary????? Buddy, let me ask you this, You are working at 35' and you make a mistake and get hurt, or pass out from heat stroke or some other unfortunate thing happens to you, do you want someone to tell your wife or family "that because someone decided that Pole Rescue wasnt necessary, we couldnt rescue you" and now your family has to plan a funeral.

Or would you rather we tell your family that " we were able to do CPR and rescue you from the pole and you will be ok after a hospital stay."

Pole top rescue is the only way to get you down with any chance of surviving. Just ask BestBudFam, a fellow member of this site, if he thinks PTR is necessary.

Ask any hand and they will tell you it is the one thing they hope to never have to use, but are very comfortable doing it, and can do it if needed.

Very well said Strange...Trouble can tell ya.....there is a guy in Tennesee that is alive and well because of pole top rescue.

#5 639trbl

639trbl

ACE TRBLSHTR & GENERAL FLUNKIE

• Members
  • 7733 posts
  • Union: IBEW 1703
  • Interests: HUNTING, FISHING, 4 WHEELER RIDING, AND AS THE NUMBER OF GRANDKIDS IS GROWING,.SPENDING MORE TIME WITH THEM !!!

Posted 01 July 2008 - 06:10 PM

WHAT 1/2 SAID IS TRUE...BUT THERE ARE LINEMAN ...ACROSS THE COUNTRY..THAT ARE STILL HERE, BECAUSE OF PTR!!!!!

IF YOU HAVE THE ATTITUDE OF........IS IT NECCESSARY..............

I CAN TELL YA THIS...99% OF THE CREWS OUT THERE,

YOU WOULDN'T LAST LONG...........

ON MY CREW...........

YER ARSE WOULD BE GONE IN A NEW YORK SECOND!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#6 nichet

nichet

Flag Man

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Union: NO

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:54 AM

WHAT 1/2 SAID IS TRUE...BUT THERE ARE LINEMAN ...ACROSS THE COUNTRY..THAT ARE STILL HERE, BECAUSE OF PTR!!!!!

ON MY CREW...........

Thanks 4 ur comments guys!
You prob wondered if i was out of my mind to ask such a ??

The reason is that i am in the process of planning and implementing a PTR Training for the company i am working with. The Directors fooling around with the approval of the cost of the training. i asked the ? so i can get ur comments. i hope i have permission to print ur comments. it will help to strenghten my case as seek approval 4 the training.

Recently one of our lineman received an electric shock while working on a transformer pole. The guys on the ground panicked and ran. The lineman was left hanging for about 20 minutes before he was rescued. luckily he survived.

Regards,
Nichet

Edited by nichet, 03 July 2008 - 08:04 AM.

#7 639 & 1/2

639 & 1/2

• Members
  • 4853 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:18 PM

ON MY CREW...........

The reason is that i am in the process of planning and implementing a PTR Training for the company i am working with. The Directors fooling around with the approval of the cost of the training. i asked the ? so i can get ur comments. i hope i have permission to print ur comments. it will help to strenghten my case as seek approval 4 the training.

Recently one of our lineman received an electric shock while working on a transformer pole. The guys on the ground panicked and ran. The lineman was left hanging for about 20 minutes before he was rescued. luckily he survived.

Regards,
Nichet

You have permission to use my statement.........even tho I'm not a lineman :D

#8 TexasLineworker

TexasLineworker

Breeding tree frogs...

• 6383 posts

• Interests: If Texas is so god damn great then how come I'm still here...

Posted 03 July 2008 - 04:25 PM

One thing that you have to remember, and you can use this for your arguement, with what little info I'm throwing out there, is that in a blind alley/easement, where there is absolutely no possible way to get a truck to a pole, somebody with PTR training is about the only rescuer that will be available. Fire/EMS/Police/Rescue do not train with PTR! At least the last time that I checked they didn't. So, that is one of the reasons that line crews are set up with two qualified climbers per pole. One on the ground and one in the air. The one on the ground is designated as the rescuer should a situation happen. Same goes for transmission crews. They will usually be the ones to have to rescue one of their own.

#9 strange052

strange052

Fallen Never Forgotten, Support our Troops

• 3930 posts
  • Industry: Telephone
  • Union: TWU 202

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:31 PM

I honestly thought you had gone off the deep end :smilie_daumenneg[1]: asking that question, I even went and had a look at your profile, and thought 'nope not a rookie, so what is he up to???'

The reason is that i am in the process of planning and implementing a PTR Training for the company i am working with. The Directors fooling around with the approval of the cost of the training.

This makes sense now.

i hope i have permission to print ur comments. it will help to strenghten my case as seek approval 4 the training.

Regards,
Nichet

THAT SHOULD BE REASON ENOUGH TO GET IT APPROVED

Best of luck with it, Yes you can use my comments.

#10 639trbl

639trbl

ACE TRBLSHTR & GENERAL FLUNKIE

• Members
  • 7733 posts
  • Union: IBEW 1703
  • Interests: HUNTING, FISHING, 4 WHEELER RIDING, AND AS THE NUMBER OF GRANDKIDS IS GROWING,.SPENDING MORE TIME WITH THEM !!!

Posted 05 July 2008 - 12:15 PM

AM GLAD YOU CLARIFIED THE REASON FOR THE QUESTION....IT MAKES SENSE NOW :arsch[1]:

WE TRAIN IN BOTH PTR AND BUCKET RESCUE...............LIKE TLW SAID JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE HAS BEEN TRAINED IN PTR, IT DOES NOT MAKE THEM QUALIFIED..................

TRAINED AND QUALIFIED FOR HOOK WORK........A LINEMAN, THAT CAN CLIMB :mf_w00t2:

TRAINED AND QUALIFIED FOR BUCKET WORK..........ANY DUMMY THAT HAS BEEN TRAINED TO OPERATE THE 'DEAD MAN' CONTROLS ON THE BUCKET

GOOD LUCK............