#1 kazecode

kazecode

Grimple

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Industry: Power
  • Union: no

Posted 09 March 2008 - 05:20 PM

Hey guys! I'm new to the forum and i would love to hear some of your opinions on the decision that i have to make. I plan on going to lineman training in September. I currently live in Florida and I'm looking at going to either SLTC in GA or NALTC in TN. So anyones opinion on either school would be greatly appreciated.I guess what it really boils down to is which school would i get more out of? Thanks, Cody.

#2 MEGA81

MEGA81

Lead Man

• Members
  • 172 posts
  • Union: IBEW L.U. 84

Posted 09 March 2008 - 05:37 PM

I have never heard of NALTC, but I am at SLTC right now and it has been awesome. Great instructors and curriculum. The facility is top notch, and they do a great job of providing all the Equipment and tools. The only thing I could say about one being better than the other is that SLTC has a very good relationship with companies and recruiters. The school has a good name so to speak. They get you your class A CDL too. NALTC might also, but like I said, I never heard of them. Best of luck. If you end up at SLTC try to get in TK's pole circle.

#3 MacDaddyDave

MacDaddyDave

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 02:11 PM

I currently live in Florida and I'm looking at going to either SLTC in GA or NALTC in TN.

I am looking to go to the Souteast Lineman Training Center in Trenton, GA in September of 2008 also. I have been debating a lot about whether to go there or the Northwest Linemans College in either California or Idaho. All of the schools look and seem great, but based on what i am reading and getting form other lineman- the one in Georgia looks like a better deal becasue they actually get you your CDL License. It seems you ahve to pay $495 to get into it, but other schools seem to only help you prepare for getting a CDL. The fact SLTC has a truck and the equipment to train you on for the CDL Testing is a plus.

Not entirely sure about the funding of the tuition though. They recommend the Salliemae Loan- tips on that subject would be great. Hope to hear form you again- I may see you in Georgia this summer.

-Dave

#4 swetngblts

swetngblts

Apprentice

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • Union: YES

Posted 22 March 2008 - 03:04 PM

Edited by swetngblts, 22 March 2008 - 06:36 PM.

#5 MacDaddyDave

MacDaddyDave

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 03:31 PM

NLC has several trucks also for you to practice your pre-trip, in-cab, driving and skills. There is a local third party person with a truck that charges a couple hundred dollars for you to take the DMV test, in their truck/trailer. This is factual information. I am at NLC right now.

What factors made you choose NLC over others? Do see it making a great deal of difference which school I choose overall? They appear to follow about the same curriculum outline. I'm down to just picking one based on location- not sure which offers a better training environment overall.

#6 MEGA81

MEGA81

Lead Man

• Members
  • 172 posts
  • Union: IBEW L.U. 84

Posted 22 March 2008 - 04:50 PM

I think this guy is talking about a new school called NALTC,
http://www.naltc.com/

#7 fordb0y75

fordb0y75

Grimple

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 05:21 PM

i just got out of naltc i liked the school but our instructor had health problems that i will not disclose and he had to miss school his brother took over while he was gone but it still kind of hurt our education. naltc is alot smaller then the other one you mentioned i dont think we did as much as they do in the other school but i did like it and its only 40 min from nashville so there is lots to do on weekends we did alot of climbing and transformers and all kinds of stuff

#8 nemo

nemo

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:42 PM

When i got hired by SELCAT, there was guys from the school in georgia and the guy that did the hiring didnt seem to care where you went to as long as you made the effort to show up to the job interview. personaly went through a program at alpenacc.edu. its my local college in town from where im at. it is a 2 year associates degree in applied science. in my opinion if your going to go to a school, go to one that will give you a degree, not just certify you and tell you can climb a pole. anybody with a little instruction can do that. A degree hangs way more weight with an employer than a certificate does.

Edited by nemo, 18 February 2010 - 06:43 PM.

#9 scratchpad

scratchpad

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Union: IBEW Local 1245

Posted 20 February 2010 - 06:09 AM

When i got hired by SELCAT, there was guys from the school in georgia and the guy that did the hiring didnt seem to care where you went to as long as you made the effort to show up to the job interview. personaly went through a program at alpenacc.edu. its my local college in town from where im at. it is a 2 year associates degree in applied science. in my opinion if your going to go to a school, go to one that will give you a degree, not just certify you and tell you can climb a pole. anybody with a little instruction can do that. A degree hangs way more weight with an employer than a certificate does.

compare apples to apples. a 4 month program to a 2 year program is not. 4 month program is a pre-apprentice program, that some actually are accredited and you get college credits, that get you one step ahead and closer to getting the foot in the door. while there is alot of climbing there is also alot of bookwork and hands on training. its great that you spent 2 years to get a degree but if you were to spend that time and energy into getting in and going through an ibew apprenticeship you will get nearly all the same college credits that you got at NO COST. and the contractors really could give a ***** less about your degree. it might help you be some office puke some day though.

#10 nemo

nemo

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:32 AM

The 2 year program is geared toward getting in at a muni or a coop. they teach you how to rebuild meter sockets and meters, and more things along the distribution end of things.

#11 CHEETO

CHEETO

Grimple

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:13 PM

i just got out of naltc i liked the school but our instructor had health problems that i will not disclose and he had to miss school his brother took over while he was gone but it still kind of hurt our education. naltc is alot smaller then the other one you mentioned i dont think we did as much as they do in the other school but i did like it and its only 40 min from nashville so there is lots to do on weekends we did alot of climbing and transformers and all kinds of stuff

Hi, im 20 years old and im highly interested in attending naltc...do u recommend it? can you give me a little more info about naltc? thanks.