18 replies to this topic

#1 abundance

abundance

Grimple

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Industry: Other

Posted 02 September 2007 - 08:37 AM

I work for a mortgage company that filed bankruptcy. I'll be let go at the end of October. It's time for a career change. I was wondering if AT&T would pay me enough to cover the bills. I make $12/hr now.

There were 2 positions posted on AT&T website for Houston, Premises Technician and Outside Technician. Does anybody know the starting salary and top salary for the Premises tech or Outside tech? I don't know which one to apply for.

Any advice on passing the TMT is appreciated? I have registered for the Basic Electricity course on Bellsouth Academy website.

Edited by abundance, 02 September 2007 - 08:44 AM.

#2 nutsleft

nutsleft

deer in the headlights

• Members
  • 800 posts
  • Union: shouldn't work without one

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:58 AM

I work for a mortgage company that filed bankruptcy. I'll be let go at the end of October. It's time for a career change. I was wondering if AT&T would pay me enough to cover the bills. I make $12/hr now.

There were 2 positions posted on AT&T website for Houston, Premises Technician and Outside Technician. Does anybody know the starting salary and top salary for the Premises tech or Outside tech? I don't know which one to apply for.

Any advice on passing the TMT is appreciated? I have registered for the Basic Electricity course on Bellsouth Academy website.

Welcome abundance,

I tied to get some info from an att and cwa agreement, but was not able to find the pay for those job titles.
The company I work for has different job titles but are basically the same functions. At the company I work for starting pay is 11 an hour with increases every six months. That is with no training or certificates what so ever. If you have experience or certs they generally start at 24months on the scale and that is 16 an hour. You top out after 60months on the scale and that is 27.25 an hour.
There are a couple of people here that just hired on with att, and they will probably be able to give you a more accurate idea of the pay at att.

Good luck

#3 bonzitre

bonzitre

Flag Man

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Industry: Telephone

Posted 03 September 2007 - 02:20 PM

I know that most UversePremise Techs get paid under $12 usually. From talkin to guys in training atleast. I am not sure about outside techs. If you can i would look into bein a Splicer. if you have experience you'll start at $12/hr and top pay (by the time you make it to it) will be around $30/hr.

#4 abundance

abundance

Grimple

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:35 PM

I have no telecom experience. How do I get started in a cable splicing job?

#5 strange052

strange052

Fallen Never Forgotten, Support our Troops

• 3928 posts
  • Union: TWU 202

Posted 04 September 2007 - 10:39 PM

I have no telecom experience. How do I get started in a cable splicing job?

Most of the time a splicer is hired from the inside. Start out where ever you can, then apply for every different position that comes available, or wait till a splicer spot comes open and bid on that one.

#6 lifecast

lifecast

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Union: 6229

Posted 05 September 2007 - 03:41 PM

Greetings.

I may be of some help. Youll have to think about what you want to do becuase the premise techs and outside techs job differ.

Premise techs install lines in and round the customers home, they run cable, phone, and ethernet, they install the set top boxs for the TV's, and the DSL equipment and configures the customers computer. They do this after the Outside tech installer goes and runs the drop to get dial tone to the home. Premise techs , depending on experience can start off from Minimum wage to $16 some an hr max. Alot of guys start out at 8 , sometimes 12 so dollars an hr, It just depends on what the hiring person wants to give.

Outside Techs are I&R, Install & Repair. The supervisor chooses what they want you to do. They get paid on the same pay scale. Usually there are 2 groups, several guys mainly do Installs. And Some guys mainly do repair. Most of the time repair guys only repair, but quite a bit the installers pick up repair after they finish there work load. Outside techs, work mainly outside making sure there are good lines that get dial tone to the customers home to the demarc. ( the phone box on the side of the house ) They also repair phone lines inside the home if the customer pays or has a repair agreement. Outside techs, also start from minimum wage to around 21 dollars an hour starting. (Depending on experience). However they max out at $28 and some change. Again, its what ever the hiring person wants to give you for your experience.

Splicers, work with the phone companies main lines. They sit in trenches ( pits ), man holes, or up on lines fixing the main lines. They usually work at one place all day while working. They don't get as much overtime. I believe they are on the same pay scale as I&R Outside techs.

I am a outside tech so I do not know the details for the Premise Tech Contract. but Outside techs get raises every 6 months. If you start out at minimum wage you should max out to 28 some within 5 years. Less time if you started out earning more.

I would recommend I&R outside tech. They get more overtime, some guys pull 100k a year before taxes. Splicers dont get as much over time.

However, like strange052 said, take anything they give you if you really want to work for AT&T.

#7 linemandave

linemandave

TOP Dawg

• Members
  • 225 posts
  • Union: CWA Local 4100

Posted 05 September 2007 - 04:41 PM

As an AT&T employee...you want the outside tech job!!! It isn't considered a splicer as you will be hired under the Install and Repair title. They will send you to school for whatever you need to know. It will be a "term" position, meaning they plan to keep you for 3 years. But word around the campfire is that many may have the opportunity to hire on full at the end of the term. The starting pay is above that of a prem tech and your starting rate depends on your level of experience/knowledge. It's a great field. And regardless of if it's working for Ma Bell or another company similar, it's fulfilling work and the people are top notch!

Hope that helps and good luck!!! Anything else...give me a shout!

:devil-smiley-024[1]:

LD

#8 abundance

abundance

Grimple

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 06:54 PM

Thanks for the great advice, guys. Outside technician is my definite choice. Premises tech is too much like a cable tv installer job.

I am using the Basic Electricity course on Bellsouth Academy now. I'll do the Basic Electronics Course next week. What other subjects do I need to pass the TMT(Technical Mechanical Test)?

Edited by abundance, 07 September 2007 - 06:57 PM.

#9 mxracer149

mxracer149

Grimple

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Industry: Power

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:36 PM

I was in the exact same position as you. I just got laid off from a mortgage company last month and moved to Austin. I just took the TMT test on Thursday and it was basic understanding of general concepts. It was pretty simple, just take your time and you will do well on it. I looked over the Bellsouth Basic Electricity study guide before hand but it wasn't really needed for this test. There was also a very easy computer test about general knowledge of computers.

I got a call today to come in and do my drug screen and physical tomorrow, so I hope to start pretty soon and learn as much as possible.

Edited by mxracer149, 18 September 2007 - 08:37 PM.

#10 abundance

abundance

Grimple

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:10 PM

Thanks for the information, mxracer. Update, I was talking about the SBC job to another coworker at the mortgage company. It turns out that his wife is a manager at SBC. He passed along some good info. There is a free TMT tutorial at the union hall. I'll also get to use her on my application as a referral. Woohoo. Everything is falling into place for me. Life is full of abundance at every corner.

#11 lifecast

lifecast

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Union: 6229

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:15 PM

Fun Fun Fun, Get ready to work hard, sweating, and almost at heat exhaustion everyday. 9 hours in the sun 5 to 6 days a week. :) hehe , I love it.

#12 deighbo

deighbo

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • Union: CWA 3106

Posted 20 September 2007 - 05:54 PM

Go for the Outside tech position!!!! You'll make more $$$. Prem tech is like a cableTV installer (not knocking the it though)

#13 abundance

abundance

Grimple

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 02:02 PM

I passed the TMT and qualify for the outside tech position(cable splicer and CST). Now I have to wait for openings. They didn't have any outside tech positions now, but they anticipate there will be a demand in the near future. The premises tech position is definitely weak in pay and bad hours. The ATT test administrator said the raises were only about 80 cents every 6 months until you top out at just over $16. The premises techs are working mandatory saturdays and the schedules are inflexible.

#14 deighbo

deighbo

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 07:25 PM

I passed the TMT and qualify for the outside tech position(cable splicer and CST). Now I have to wait for openings. They didn't have any outside tech positions now, but they anticipate there will be a demand in the near future. The premises tech position is definitely weak in pay and bad hours. The ATT test administrator said the raises were only about 80 cents every 6 months until you top out at just over $16. The premises techs are working mandatory saturdays and the schedules are inflexible.

Ya Prem tech Pos sux. The co wants(may force) us (ST) to go down to a prem tech pos, take a BIG pay cut and be term. Not a good time for us who got bought out. :Voskl1[1]:

Edited by deighbo, 25 September 2007 - 07:28 PM.

#15 line rat 2

line rat 2

Grimple

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Union: cwa 3603

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:39 AM

Ya Prem tech Pos sux. The co wants(may force) us (ST) to go down to a prem tech pos, take a BIG pay cut and be term. Not a good time for us who got bought out. :Voskl1[1]:

\we voted it put of our contract in the south east so there will be no prem tech here . they said that they would contract it out if we didn t take it but the first call they made was back to us to see what it would take to get it done and we said see ya in 09

#16 deighbo

deighbo

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 04:15 PM

1000 new jobs to be added in the SE

http://www.ajc.com/b...ttweb_0926.html

#17 dodgerblues

dodgerblues

Grimple

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:43 PM

Hello Gentlemen,

Ive been a courier for DHL for 10 years but the place has been in the dumps since going to Owner Operators to have their freight delivered. Im jumping ship to FED EX, but i think my days of being a courier are behind me. I definitely need a new change of pace with higher wages (currently at $14.00/hr.) Being 33, im in panic mode cuz my self-employment deals have kinda fizzled out. Now im really thinking of joining AT&T here in the Los Angeles area. I'd like to think a few years from now and would definitely need a job that would pay $25/hr or more in a few years. I appreciated everyone's input.... keep those suggestions and experience stories coming...they are definitely appreciated. :smilie_daumenpos[1]:

#18 olo131

olo131

CATV is my life

• Admin
  • 10655 posts
  • Industry: CATV
  • Union: no

• Interests: CATV!! Is there any thing else?

Posted 24 June 2011 - 04:00 PM

Wow there is a lot of good info here.... even though it's from 2007

#19 nevrenufhp

nevrenufhp

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • Union: CWA, 9333
  • Interests: Lineman since 1-27-97

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:44 AM

Dont forget, there's a difference between Outside Tech(I&R), and Outside Plant Tech(Lineman). They are still hiring a few Prem Techs out here this month, 13 just in Modesto CA, and 10 are already filled.
Prem Techs are higher in the pay scale now. I think it's in the mid $20/hr
I&R and Lineman are on the same pay scale(#2 below top).
Splicing is the top pay scale at around a dollar more than the #2 level.
Pay depends on where you live, and what union district controls it.

Edited by nevrenufhp, 30 July 2011 - 08:48 AM.