• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 MichaelS

MichaelS

Flag Man

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Industry: Other
  • Interests: Electric, Linework, Working on old cars, Guns, and reloading ammo

Posted 31 July 2007 - 06:26 PM

Does anyone know were I can get some info on what types of tests you need on fiberglass booms (i.e. dielectric, structure) and if they need to be done every six months or yearly? We dont work on live lines, and mangment says if its not hot work the trucks dont need to be inspected. I think thats a buch of B.S. So I would like something in writing to take to them.

Thanks-

Mike
:14_3_1[1]:

#2 Wood Pecker

Wood Pecker

aka............P-Dub

• Admin
  • 5697 posts
  • Industry: Fiber Optics
  • Interests: Drinking beer, playing on the website, honey doos, chasing the old lady round the house, WORKING the rest of the time!!!

Posted 31 July 2007 - 07:38 PM

Hey Michael,
Not sure if this will help any but, I work for a cable company and we do no hot work EVER...........
and our booms are inspected every 6 months by Altec, So yes I do believe you are right and your management is full of crap.
If I was you I would search the OSHA website and see if they have anything on there that may help you?

PS Welcome to the site :smilie_daumenpos[1]: and good luck with your delema.

WP

#3 Ladderman

Ladderman

TOP Dawg

• Members
  • 268 posts
  • Industry: CATV
  • Interests: Have a personal museum of linemen bucket bags etc in the garage, always experimenting and finding ways to make my job more efficient. Water pumping windmills, visiting families old farm south of McCook Nebraska. Taking drives out to Middle to Northwest Kansas. Windmill country. And Cable,Cable, Cable. My very young kids, wife, and this site.

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:04 PM

Wish ours was 6 months intervals. It will be a year not much longer, and we still have yet to see the Altec repair guy come back to fix all of our problems, from last year. I am ready to ask my supervisor what gives. Last year they put on stickers saying our buckets were not insulated. Maybe to get out of doing insulated tests or whatever for now on. Dont know. Long story short sometimes I wonder why preventive maintenance is ever uttered, because I do not see management doing anything to get it accomplished. Me personally I currently have a small list of things needing done and replaced, but chances are I would win the lottery, I don't gamble by the way, before I see anything resolved before something goes down. I was told they should be done yearly. Two years ago I did see the Altec technician dig out bird nests out of one of our Arm Lift's alone. Take it from my own experience, might not be Altec's fault in my situation, just managements, but I would seriously go for the 6 month maintenance, because no system ever has enough bucket trucks. When you need one the worst is when they are down, and that is not worth the risk.

#4 Wood Pecker

Wood Pecker

aka............P-Dub

• Admin
  • 5697 posts
  • Industry: Fiber Optics
  • Interests: Drinking beer, playing on the website, honey doos, chasing the old lady round the house, WORKING the rest of the time!!!

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:10 PM

Here Bro here is a place to start looking :confused-smiley-013[1]:

http://www.buckettrucks.org/osha.htm

WP

#5 Sandy

Sandy

Line-God

• Members
  • 678 posts
  • Industry: Power
  • Union: 329
  • Interests: Work, fishing, hunting, and my garden.

Posted 01 August 2007 - 03:31 AM

Do to the incident somewhere where one of the Altec buckets seperate from the turrent (which also happened to one of our distribution troublemen), a stronger plan is being implemented. Ours are inspected annually by the garage and altec, we also inspect the primary parts when we start it up...turrent bolts, visible cracks etc...and most important of all the hydraulic fluid....

Have found a new glitch with the Altec buckets - if you are in the air (truck properly set up, of course), and at an angle of less than 45 deg. to the back of the truck and the truck shifts in any manner, the safety interlocks will engage and not even the emergency controls at the base will work...the motor will engage but no controls including the safety bleed off to lower the bucket will work...you will have to bump the legs up a notch to get control back...My bucket is less than 2 years old with no mechanical issues otherwise - I baby her...

#6 639trbl

639trbl

ACE TRBLSHTR & GENERAL FLUNKIE

• Members
  • 7733 posts
  • Union: IBEW 1703
  • Interests: HUNTING, FISHING, 4 WHEELER RIDING, AND AS THE NUMBER OF GRANDKIDS IS GROWING,.SPENDING MORE TIME WITH THEM !!!

Posted 01 August 2007 - 04:29 AM

CHECK WITH ITL...INDEPENDENT TEST LABORATORIES (SP).THEY DO DI-0ELECTRIC TESTING FOR ALL OF OUR UNITS...ANNUALLY!!!!

#7 MichaelS

MichaelS

Flag Man

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:48 PM

Thanks guys. I have a call in to the local OSHA office. They are going to send my something on all of the rules and regulations. I'll post them when I get it.

-Mike :14_3_1[1]:

#8 cablewithaview

cablewithaview

truly sucks ass

• 5261 posts
  • Union: God created us all equal, Union divides us.

• Interests: God, family, cable tv, computer

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:03 PM

When I worked w/ Falcon, we had a guy come out once a year and inspect the booms. Where I am working at now NEVER has had an inspection.

#9 MichaelS

MichaelS

Flag Man

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 06:41 PM

Well OSHA finally got back to me today and the gentleman there told me that they enforce the ANSI 92.2 -2001 Standard, which covers Powered Platforms, Manlifts, and Vehicle-Mounted Work Platforms. Unfortunately all he said is you have to abide by this standard; which they do not post it on their website, you have to buy it from ANSI in the form of a .pdf file. Well I bought it, and if anyone wants me to email them a copy let me know (may as well get my moneys worth) Just send me an email at chevrolet_572ci@sbcglobal.net and I will send you the .pdf file. Here is a list of some of the items covered by ANSI 92.2 -2001

Definitions:
Electrical Systems, Devices and Test Procedures.
Responsibilities of Manufacturers.
Responsibilities of Dealers and Installers.
Responsibilities of Owners:
Training, Retraining, and Familiarization of Operators. (New)
Responsibility of Users: (New)
Responsibilities of Operators.
Responsibilities of Renters, Lessors or Lessees.

Stay Safe
-Mike :14_3_1[1]:

#10 strange052

strange052

Fallen Never Forgotten, Support our Troops

• 3899 posts
  • Industry: Telephone
  • Union: TWU 202

Posted 03 August 2007 - 06:48 PM

Ill take a copy! I sent ya a PM with my email addy.

#11 639 & 1/2

639 & 1/2

Southern Redneck Gutterchick

• Members
  • 4853 posts
  • Interests: My kids and grandkids, Trouble's kids, grandkids, drinking beer.......then hunting, fishing, riding 4-wheelers, drinking beer..........after that, what else is there ?!?!

Posted 05 August 2007 - 09:35 AM

I'd be careful with this one.......make sure there is no disclaimer attached to it......like no reproduction, no distribution clauses.......they could hang us on the copyright law.

Trust me, we found out the hard way......there was a little handbook, about 35-40 pages long that was cute, funny and for people in supervisory positions. Our former boss bought one, made copies for everyone in the office to read and have a BS session on it. Well, to make a long story short, a former disgruntled employee wrote the publisher, who in turn contacted our legal department, and the sh$t hit the fan
:smilie_daumenpos[1]: :smilie_daumenpos[1]:

#12 TexasLineworker

TexasLineworker

Breeding tree frogs...

• 6383 posts

• Interests: If Texas is so god damn great then how come I'm still here...

Posted 05 August 2007 - 10:44 AM

I'd be careful with this one.......make sure there is no disclaimer attached to it......like no reproduction, no distribution clauses.......they could hang us on the copyright law.

Trust me, we found out the hard way......there was a little handbook, about 35-40 pages long that was cute, funny and for people in supervisory positions. Our former boss bought one, made copies for everyone in the office to read and have a BS session on it. Well, to make a long story short, a former disgruntled employee wrote the publisher, who in turn contacted our legal department, and the sh$t hit the fan
:smilie_daumenpos[1]: :13_10_3[1]:

Didn't think they could do that unless money was going to be made from the copies. :smilie_daumenpos[1]:

#13 639 & 1/2

639 & 1/2

Southern Redneck Gutterchick

• Members
  • 4853 posts
  • Interests: My kids and grandkids, Trouble's kids, grandkids, drinking beer.......then hunting, fishing, riding 4-wheelers, drinking beer..........after that, what else is there ?!?!

Posted 05 August 2007 - 12:26 PM

Didn't think they could do that unless money was going to be made from the copies. :smilie_daumenpos[1]:

They can and they did......probably has to do with the fact that the book was a purchase, and when we made copies of it and distributed it around the office......1) we violated the copyright law, and 2) they lost money....they made money off one book, when we copied it, they lost money off of about 40 :smilie_daumenpos[1]: :13_10_3[1]:

It's probably along the same lines as copying a DVD or VHS tape......you're not gonna sell it to make money off of it, but you violated their copyright law......

In this case, I don't know. I'm just saying be careful....would hate for someone who's trying to help out everyone get in doo doo over it
:13_10_3[1]: :13_10_3[1]:

#14 MichaelS

MichaelS

Flag Man

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 01:58 PM

I never thought of that, I'll have to check on that.

Thanks

#15 dgamble

dgamble

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Interests: I love playing music. I am a guitar player in a band called No Room for Saints. I love LSU and Saints football. I like to cook and love to eat.

Posted 05 August 2007 - 02:32 PM

In our safety manual it says that if the any part of the boom if extended all the way out can come with the minimum approach distance than one of two things has to happen. One is that the boom has to be insulated, which would mean that it would have to be tested. Two, that if the boom is uninsulated then the truck has to be grounded with a minimum 4/0 ground to a ground rod. Now most of our rules are based off of OSHA regs so I would imagine that somewhere in that ANSI standard it talks about these requirements. So if you set up on a pole, even though you are not going into the primary zone, if you are able to reach it with the bucket you have to meet these requirements.

#16 topgroove

topgroove

Jedi-Lineman

• Members
  • 324 posts
  • Union: IBEW Local 97

Posted 06 August 2007 - 06:53 AM

too bad the lineman from washington state didn't do a thorough inspection of his altec bucket truck before going to a school last spring to help with an egg drop . he went up in the bucket with a female teacher when the boom seperated from the turrent. it was discovered that eight of the twenty bolts were missing. this truck was only a few months old at the time of the tradgedy. the lineman was killed and the teacher was severly injured. it happened in front of all the students.

#17 cablewithaview

cablewithaview

truly sucks ass

• 5261 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 08:28 AM

Here is some photos of my first bucket, operated it like this for awhile and was putting heat on my boss to change it for several months. When he did, it wasn't much better and it to went to the waste side after a few months. He wouldn't pay for a new one then or now. The last truck I had, instead of fixing it, he is sending it out of the country to another system with grooves cut on the sides of the inter boom. It's has a twist in it so it started cutting into the sides. He has no safety concerns for others what so ever.

Attached Files

#18 strange052

strange052

Fallen Never Forgotten, Support our Troops

• 3899 posts
  • Industry: Telephone
  • Union: TWU 202

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:47 AM

Cablewithaview..... ya actually used that?? HOLY SH*T!!!!

No way Id stick my self in that and trust it to hold up my :devil-smiley-024[1]: and the tools I need.
I woulda drove that thing right to a state inspector and had the whole unit comdemed

#19 Jos Lapointe

Jos Lapointe

TOP Dawg

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • Union: FCFP 1114

Posted 06 August 2007 - 04:02 PM

I SURE WILL NOT USE THAT BUCKET EVEN TO PUT FLOWER IN IT :wink: WE CALL IT A WIDOW MAKER
HERE WE TEST THE BOOM TWICE A YEAR AND THE MECHANIC VERIFY THE BOOM AND BUCKET EVERY MONTH
FOR CRACK :devil-smiley-024[1]:
JOS BE SAFE

#20 cablewithaview

cablewithaview

truly sucks ass

• 5261 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 05:06 PM

It had a strap around the top when I got it, the front top piece broke off later on and that's when for sure I said enough.