thedude1977

Flag Man

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Industry: Power
  • Union: Local 18

Posted 09 July 2007 - 04:38 AM

Hello everyone!

I am a long-time lurker on these boards, and now a first-time poster.

I have been slowly but surely trying to find my way into the industry and just found out that I may have an opportunity to do so.

I have an interview in Ohio for an apprenticeship through ALBAT in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone has any advice for me. Although I live in Los Angeles, I am interested in moving to Ohio because that is where my fiancee's family lives.

So, basically I am willing to fly out for the interview but I am worried that the fact that I live across the country will count against me.

Also, I understand that the apprenticeship would involve a lot of travel. How does that work exactly? Do you work a few weeks or months in one location and then move on? I suppose what I am asking is, how much time can I realistically expect to spend home? These are things that I would like to understand so that I can explain them to my fiancee and not have her feel like I misled her.

Lastly, I'd like to say thanks for all of the knowledge I have gained by lurking on this site. I have learned a lot and I appreciate it!

#2 damn_encode

damn_encode

TOP Dawg

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • Union: HELL YA!! - IBEW L.U. 57 Journeyman Power Lineman
  • Interests: Go build powerline for 10-12+ hours, eat, sleep, and repeat for 5-7 days...hopefully get to go home every once and a while and see the wife and kids for a day or two. Go build powerline, eat, sleep, and.....you get the idea!

Posted 13 July 2007 - 10:59 PM

I am in a MSLCAT JATC apprenticeship program. Most of the time I am able to make it home for the weekends but it might involve driving up to 4-6 hours to get home. Any further then that I will wait for a 3 day weekend or allow a couple of weeks to pass before I make the trip home. The amount of travel you will have will depend mostly on the contractor you are indentured with and where their projects are. But that could change in a hurry if you get transferred to another company who works in a different area. The best thing to tell you fiancée is I could work anywhere in the JATC’s multi-state area. I could and will be gone for weeks at a time. If you really want to be a IBEW Outside Construction Apprentice you should fully commit yourself to it, and realize that it will be your life’s obsession for the next 3 ½ years plus an additional 2 years if decide to become vested in your retirement after you become a lineman.

When it comes to the interview, they will view you for whom you are, not where you live. If they ask you why you want to move to Ohio then tell them, who cares? Just be confident in yourself and know why you want to be a lineman.

If you want PM me with your phone and we will visit.

#3 bestbudfam

bestbudfam

★☆★ oNe TRiCK PoNy ☆★☆

• Members
  • 1385 posts
  • Union: IBEW LOCAL " eiGHTeeN "
  • Interests: -------o00o---°(_)°---o00o-------

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:02 AM

Hello everyone!

I have been slowly but surely trying to find my way into the industry and just found out that I may have an opportunity to do so.

I have an interview in Ohio for an apprenticeship through ALBAT in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone has any advice for me. Although I live in Los Angeles, I am interested in moving to Ohio because that is where my fiancee's family lives.

So, basically I am willing to fly out for the interview but I am worried that the fact that I live across the country will count against me.

Also, I understand that the apprenticeship would involve a lot of travel. How does that work exactly? Do you work a few weeks or months in one location and then move on? I suppose what I am asking is, how much time can I realistically expect to spend home? These are things that I would like to understand so that I can explain them to my fiancee and not have her feel like I misled her.

Lastly, I'd like to say thanks for all of the knowledge I have gained by lurking on this site. I have learned a lot and I appreciate it!

ANY UPDATE? Did you get the gig?

#4 thedude1977

thedude1977

Flag Man

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 09:55 AM

Hello everyone!

Hey, thanks for the interest bestbud. Here's the skinny on my progress so far:

I work nights in a support capacity for LAPD. I chose that shift so that I could attend the East LA Skills Center Powerline Mechanic Trainee program during the day, and I am proud to say that I completed the program and have earned both of the certs offered by the school. Some of my friends seemed to doubt that I would be able to go to work midnight-7:30 and then school from 8:00am to 3:00 . Well I was dog-tired for a good year (actually, I still am), but I did it. :13_10_3[1]:

Anyway, due to the fact that there are only two people on my shift and one of us has to be on duty at all times, I was unable to take any days off or rearrange my schedule for the ALBAT interview mentioned in my post. HOWEVER, I was also unwilling to let the opportunity pass me by and I made the decision that I would figure out a way to make it happen.

Since I was scheduled off the day before the interview, I was able to fly out and spend that evening with the inlaws and preparing myself. The day of the interview I did well enough to be placed on the waiting list for climbing school with Local 245, but not as well as I would have liked. Then I had to catch a flight 2 hours later so that I could take advantage of the time change and get back to Los Angeles in time to go to work at midnight.

Then I was offered an interview with Local 71 in August and had to decide if I could afford to fly back out. Since I hadn't yet committed myself to a schedule at work I was able to turn it into a vacation and flew out with my fiancee. I did much better this time around. The interview committee gave me a big heaping dose of the business but I kept my cool and represented myself well. In the back of my mind the fact that they seemed to be harder on me this time around was a good thing, because it seemd to imply that they were considering me and wanted to see how I would react. One of the interviewers remembered me from the previous interview and the first question he had for me was if I had made it to work on time after the previous interview. It felt good to be able to say that I had.

This time I was placed 2nd on the waiting list for climbing school.

I am still waiting and ready for the call. My buddy waited 6 months on the list to get into climbing school here with the NJATC so I am not reading too much into the wait. I have moved up some on the list for 245 but am still holding steady with Local 71. Perhaps there isn't enough work right now? I have tried to be conscientious about calling once a month to check my status on the list and hopefully convey that I am still interested.

In the mean time, I recently interviewed with the City of Burbank and am still waiting to hear how I did there ... although I suspect I didn't get the gig there because I know some people who have received their rejection letters and I tend to think that they would have called the people who were getting picked up before sending those letters out. I check my mail anxiously every day of course.

Then this Saturday I got my letter from LADWP and will be taking the Physical Agility test there on the 15th. I went down to the Skills Center yesterday to brush up and get in one of our workouts in preparation and it whooped my ass! That's a good thing though. I am going to do my best to be prepared for this Saturday and hopefully I will get to the interview phase of the selection process.

I also will be taking the groundman test for Southern California Edison on the 21st I believe. I have been applying everywhere that I can and am confident that I will find my way into this industry soon. Wherever I get in I will commit myself to the gig fully and work hard to advance through my apprenticeship.

Edited by thedude1977, 12 December 2007 - 10:00 AM.

#5 strange052

strange052

Fallen Never Forgotten, Support our Troops

• 3924 posts
  • Industry: Telephone
  • Union: TWU 202

Posted 12 December 2007 - 10:44 AM

Best of luck with the testing and heres hopin ya get in

Keep us updated :13_10_3[1]:

#6 jthomas

jthomas

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:58 PM

dude77...howd you like the East LA Skills Center? Im headed there in January and have heard nothing but good things. Best of luck to you and your goals.

#7 thedude1977

thedude1977

Flag Man

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 05:17 PM

dude77...howd you like the East LA Skills Center? Im headed there in January and have heard nothing but good things. Best of luck to you and your goals.

It's the best. If you show up every day intending to work hard and consistently, and have a good attitude, you will do fine. Show up on your first day (and every day) with a long sleeved shirt, some and a pair of work boots with a heel. Ideally a pair of lineman boots with a steel shank. Oh, and a pair of lineman-style gloves. The school says class starts at 8:30 but we actually get there by 8am so that we can run 10 laps around the pole yard. Afer you run your laps try to stay busy. One of the students will be willing to teach you some knots and help you out before the morning meeting. When the instructor arrives introduce yourself with a handshake and when he gives you grief - and he will - take it with a grain of salt and by all means don't talk back!

After the morning meeting you will go out to the yard and take part in the morning work out. They can get pretty strenuous so if you haven't been working out it's probably a good time to get prepared. After that you'll either get shown how to climb with the bucksqueeze at first or take part in one of the projects happening that day. As soon as you have some comfort and have shown some common sense on the pole you will be taken off the bucksqueeze and learn to climb belted and freehand.

Push yourself every day and be mentally prepared to do things you don't think you can do. Then go home and if you aren't tired you didn't work hard enough.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask... and thanks for the well-wishes.

THE DUDE

#8 jthomas

jthomas

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:21 PM

hey thanks for that run down on the classes! very helpful indeed. i have to hold down my day job so i will be attending night courses. im guessing tho that the routine you described is about the same at night as well. im very excited to get into my second career and a dedicated work ethic is definitely something i pride myself in! im headed out this weekend to farwest line specialties to grab some lineman boots as well as gaffs and pads just to be able to own my own gear. i'll wait on the other equipment till i get more experience. im looking forward to the physical activities that you mentioned, doing things i'd never imagine i'd be doing as well as being a part of a successful program! once again thank you....work smart and stay safe!

Edited by jthomas, 12 December 2007 - 11:24 PM.

#9 swetngblts

swetngblts

Apprentice

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • Union: YES

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:01 AM

Hello everyone!

Hey, thanks for the interest bestbud. Here's the skinny on my progress so far:

I work nights in a support capacity for LAPD. I chose that shift so that I could attend the East LA Skills Center Powerline Mechanic Trainee program during the day, and I am proud to say that I completed the program and have earned both of the certs offered by the school. Some of my friends seemed to doubt that I would be able to go to work midnight-7:30 and then school from 8:00am to 3:00 . Well I was dog-tired for a good year (actually, I still am), but I did it. :ernaehrung004[1]:

Anyway, due to the fact that there are only two people on my shift and one of us has to be on duty at all times, I was unable to take any days off or rearrange my schedule for the ALBAT interview mentioned in my post. HOWEVER, I was also unwilling to let the opportunity pass me by and I made the decision that I would figure out a way to make it happen.

Since I was scheduled off the day before the interview, I was able to fly out and spend that evening with the inlaws and preparing myself. The day of the interview I did well enough to be placed on the waiting list for climbing school with Local 245, but not as well as I would have liked. Then I had to catch a flight 2 hours later so that I could take advantage of the time change and get back to Los Angeles in time to go to work at midnight.

Then I was offered an interview with Local 71 in August and had to decide if I could afford to fly back out. Since I hadn't yet committed myself to a schedule at work I was able to turn it into a vacation and flew out with my fiancee. I did much better this time around. The interview committee gave me a big heaping dose of the business but I kept my cool and represented myself well. In the back of my mind the fact that they seemed to be harder on me this time around was a good thing, because it seemd to imply that they were considering me and wanted to see how I would react. One of the interviewers remembered me from the previous interview and the first question he had for me was if I had made it to work on time after the previous interview. It felt good to be able to say that I had.

This time I was placed 2nd on the waiting list for climbing school.

I am still waiting and ready for the call. My buddy waited 6 months on the list to get into climbing school here with the NJATC so I am not reading too much into the wait. I have moved up some on the list for 245 but am still holding steady with Local 71. Perhaps there isn't enough work right now? I have tried to be conscientious about calling once a month to check my status on the list and hopefully convey that I am still interested.

In the mean time, I recently interviewed with the City of Burbank and am still waiting to hear how I did there ... although I suspect I didn't get the gig there because I know some people who have received their rejection letters and I tend to think that they would have called the people who were getting picked up before sending those letters out. I check my mail anxiously every day of course.

Then this Saturday I got my letter from LADWP and will be taking the Physical Agility test there on the 15th. I went down to the Skills Center yesterday to brush up and get in one of our workouts in preparation and it whooped my ass! That's a good thing though. I am going to do my best to be prepared for this Saturday and hopefully I will get to the interview phase of the selection process.

I also will be taking the groundman test for Southern California Edison on the 21st I believe. I have been applying everywhere that I can and am confident that I will find my way into this industry soon. Wherever I get in I will commit myself to the gig fully and work hard to advance through my apprenticeship.

did you ever get the call or get on somehwere else?