17 replies to this topic

#1 TheReaper

TheReaper

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Industry: Power
  • Union: IBEW 1249
  • Interests: Pretty much anything that gets the blood pumping. Iv been playing Semi Pro Paintball for 7 years, Am. A for 4 years. I love wake boarding, snowmobiling, Skiing, Sky Diving, you name it...

Posted 11 May 2007 - 05:27 PM

Im sick of waiting on the Apprenticeship. Its expires soon(my two years is up) So I said F it...Im quitting my job as a telecom lineman, leaving my wife and friends behind, going to school and trying once again to get into the union..

Ill be attending the class that Starts In september and just wondered if anyone else planned on going. My buddy went to the same school and is now an apprentice though the program I showed him. He absolutely loved school so I am pretty pumped to head down there...

Anyone else going??

Just thought it would be nice to talk to people who will be in my class

#2 rcdallas

rcdallas

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • Union: IBEW Local 69

Posted 11 May 2007 - 07:03 PM

Im sick of waiting on the Apprenticeship. Its expires soon(my two years is up) So I said F it...Im quitting my job as a telecom lineman, leaving my wife and friends behind, going to school and trying once again to get into the union..

Ill be attending the class that Starts In september and just wondered if anyone else planned on going. My buddy went to the same school and is now an apprentice though the program I showed him. He absolutely loved school so I am pretty pumped to head down there...

Anyone else going??

You can count me in for September 3rd.... I haven't heard not one bad thing about SLTC, so I'm geeked as well.

#3 TheReaper

TheReaper

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Interests: Pretty much anything that gets the blood pumping. Iv been playing Semi Pro Paintball for 7 years, Am. A for 4 years. I love wake boarding, snowmobiling, Skiing, Sky Diving, you name it...

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:49 PM

Anyone else going??

You can count me in for September 3rd.... I haven't heard not one bad thing about SLTC, so I'm geeked as well.

Awesome, I was hoping to find some people before hand...

Where are you staying?

How far do you have to travle

Do you have AIM or anything?

#4 Southpaw

Southpaw

4th step SELCAT AP

• Members
  • 160 posts
  • Union: IBEW Local 175 Chatt-town USA
  • Interests: Hunting, fishing, women and working.....in that order.

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:33 PM

You boys cant go wrong witht that school. Im enrolled right now, we're in our 7th week. Its kick ass. Hell Im loving it. Let me know if you need any info.

#5 sidelines247

sidelines247

Grimple

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Industry: Other

Posted 08 July 2007 - 10:50 AM

i will be attending and cant wait

#6 TheReaper

TheReaper

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:12 AM

Just got word that Ill be living in the Bull Pen for my Stay in Georgia.

Southpaw are you living at home? If not do you have internet at the Houses?

#7 monte35071

monte35071

Grimple

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 07:03 PM

I will be attending SLTC in May of 2008. I am quiting my job of 8 years and leaving my wife and will be a new born baby, to start a new carer. I really hope I am making the right decision. I also have 3 other guys coming with me that heard me talking about it and they are doing the same thing.

#8 Tha Bobster

Tha Bobster

Jedi~Lineman

• Admin
  • 2756 posts
  • Industry: CATV
  • Union: Nope

• Interests: my wife, my pets, my property & this website

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:03 PM

Well I wont be going but I did just build both of their websites. David Powell, the president is a great person to work with. Keep us posted on your progress and take some shots.

LineWorker.com School website
Lineworker.net Student Portal

TB

#9 TheReaper

TheReaper

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 09:51 AM

Yes David is amazing, he has helped me out so much.

As of right now, im packed and ready to go...however

I applied for the local Electric company(Energy East)

Same pay, free training and impossible to get into...

So if i end up getting hired(which some insiders tell me is a big possiblity at the moment)

then i will be going with them.

If they call me when im down south at school, ill be leaving school to work for them.

#10 surge

surge

Flag Man

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Union: Union Proud
  • Interests: FAMILY AND Football season

Posted 18 August 2007 - 11:53 AM

Sounds like a great school! I attented the Statewide Assoc. in IN. What kind of tools are you guys buying? I just purchased a new belt. Buckingham is offering a lightweight Dri-lex belt. It is great in this summer heat. Seems like the lightweight equipment is evolving from the rodeo teams. Good luck with your career choice. This is a good industry. Work safe.

#11 TheReaper

TheReaper

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 12:00 PM

Im going mostly Klein

2 reasons

I have used them in other industries and love them

Im letting the school buy 90% of my tools so that I am not forgetting anything and they use alot of Klein Tools.

I to will be using Buckingham. They are located about an hour away from me so its nice and convieint...

#12 Southpaw

Southpaw

4th step SELCAT AP

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 02:45 PM

Im going mostly Klein

Im letting the school buy 90% of my tools so that I am not forgetting anything and they use alot of Klein Tools.

No they dont. The only thing that is Klein that SLTC uses is Lineman's pliers and a screw driver oh and maybe the hammer.

Other than that, the Channel Locks are Channel Lock brand, the crescent wrench is Crescent brand and the knife, pads, straps, belt, safety and gaffs are all Bashlin.

I highly reccomend the Floridian Bashlin 88 belt. Kick ass belt, durable and looks damn good.

#13 Wood Pecker

Wood Pecker

aka............P-Dub

• Admin
  • 5697 posts
  • Industry: Fiber Optics
  • Interests: Drinking beer, playing on the website, honey doos, chasing the old lady round the house, WORKING the rest of the time!!!

Posted 18 August 2007 - 07:57 PM

Hey southpaw,
I have had 2 88s and love them :smilie_daumenpos[1]:
As far as hooks go I started in kline and graduated to Bashlin
on my 2nd set of gaffs too :smilie_daumenpos[1]:

WP

#14 TheReaper

TheReaper

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 09:07 PM

Im going mostly Klein

No they dont. The only thing that is Klein that SLTC uses is Lineman's pliers and a screw driver oh and maybe the hammer.

Other than that, the Channel Locks are Channel Lock brand, the crescent wrench is Crescent brand and the knife, pads, straps, belt, safety and gaffs are all Bashlin.

I highly reccomend the Floridian Bashlin 88 belt. Kick ass belt, durable and looks damn good.

Hmmm, just going on what I was told by the school

#15 TheReaper

TheReaper

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 08:47 PM

School Is going Great. I love it.

By the way Southpaw...

Everything Is Klein Hand Tool Wise except the Channel Locks(even the cresent is Klein)

#16 Southpaw

Southpaw

4th step SELCAT AP

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 09:35 PM

By the way Southpaw...

Everything Is Klein Hand Tool Wise except the Channel Locks(even the cresent is Klein)

Yeah like I said, a screw driver, side cutters and a hammer. Maybe the knife, hell i dunno i ended up throwing mine away and getting one with a bigger blade.

Ya'll should be about 6 weeks in i think.

#17 TheReaper

TheReaper

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 11:25 AM

By the way Southpaw...

Yeah like I said, a screw driver, side cutters and a hammer. Maybe the knife, hell i dunno i ended up throwing mine away and getting one with a bigger blade.

Ya'll should be about 6 weeks in i think.

Ill be replacing most of my stuff, hell some of it i already did. I know what I like from what iv used in the past, and although its all pretty nice, im going to get what works for me. THis week is week 6 and we will be hanging our double arms for time tommarow as well as Knots. Then tuesday is transformers and then were out into the field.

Do you remeber the fastest time for single arm in your class? Or double?

#18 Southpaw

Southpaw

4th step SELCAT AP

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 01:59 PM

Single are was around 1:30 and double was around 4:25. Knots was :21 seconds and dead man was around 1:31 as well.