mickey mouse ears
macs
long tom
hog leg(cant say the other name for this one) :Voskl1[1]:
fish
one ones
east texas pole foam

absolutely right on our slang....... :Voskl1[1]: Is pig ears a spring washer

I thought a pig ear was an older guy attachment. I see them alot on pole change out from poles dated back in the 40's.

#22 linecowboy

linecowboy

Sen~ior Line-Man

• Members
  • 470 posts
  • Industry: Power
  • Union: no union right to work state

Posted 28 May 2007 - 09:20 AM

coops still use these as guy attachments mickey mouse ears are tie wires long tom is an extendo stick hog leg is a extension for a tap or dead end dog nutz are guy rod bonding clamps fish or guy fish is an guy extension one ones are quick ties for a 1.11 pole east texas pole foam is a bunch of logs tamped in to wet soil to hold the pole :new_bluegrab: :mf_frankie: :Voskl1[1]:

#23 639 & 1/2

639 & 1/2

Southern Redneck Gutterchick

• Members
  • 4853 posts
  • Industry: Other
  • Interests: My kids and grandkids, Trouble's kids, grandkids, drinking beer.......then hunting, fishing, riding 4-wheelers, drinking beer..........after that, what else is there ?!?!

Posted 28 May 2007 - 12:08 PM

quick ties for a 1.11 pole east texas pole foam is a bunch of logs tamped in to wet soil to hold the pole :new_bluegrab: :mf_frankie: :new_ukliam2:

Well, the poles along Hwy 66 in Rowlett, Tx look like they were put in the ground with silly putty.......the leaning tower of Pisa (sp) doesn't have anything on these :D :D Good thing they are doing a lot of rebuild in the area. The first time 639 saw those poles, he just shook his head......couldn't believe what he was seeing......even took pictures cuz he figured no one would believe him :speechless-smiley-039[1]: :new_snipersmilie: :surrender[1]:

#24 TexasLineworker

TexasLineworker

Breeding tree frogs...

• 6383 posts

• Interests: If Texas is so god damn great then how come I'm still here...

Posted 28 May 2007 - 06:31 PM

quick ties for a 1.11 pole east texas pole foam is a bunch of logs tamped in to wet soil to hold the pole :new_bluegrab: :mf_frankie: :mf_w00t2:

Well, the poles along Hwy 66 in Rowlett, Tx look like they were put in the ground with silly putty.......the leaning tower of Pisa (sp) doesn't have anything on these :D :D Good thing they are doing a lot of rebuild in the area. The first time 639 saw those poles, he just shook his head......couldn't believe what he was seeing......even took pictures cuz he figured no one would believe him :new_snipersmilie: :surrender[1]: :new_ukliam2:

They were purposely set with a lot of rake in them because of all that wind coming out of Texarkana! :speechless-smiley-039[1]:

#25 linecowboy

linecowboy

Sen~ior Line-Man

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 07:23 PM

some of those poles we set after rita down in jasper newton might look about the same we were doing good to get to them with skidders mounted with a boom tip and a bucket :devil-smiley-024[1]: :Voskl1[1]:

#26 PECObrat

PECObrat

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:01 PM

cutting in bells/inlines is what we call it

#27 PA BEN

PA BEN

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • Union: IBEW Local 997
  • Interests: Hunting/Fishing/R/C Aircraft

Posted 02 June 2007 - 04:57 AM

Found this yesterday.Linemans slang dictionary

http://www.hubbellpo...ine/19-8011.pdf

#28 linecowboy

linecowboy

Sen~ior Line-Man

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 06:44 AM

thanks pa ben added it to my bookmarks noticed alot of our slang is regional even down to small specific areas. when i first started building line my dad and i were having a conversation about shaping hats. he said i should get a tea kettle and do it my self.i asked whats a tea kettle expecting it was slang for something else. he said with a little meaness in his eye you know that thing you make tea with. i felt like a dumb :director[1]:
had been hearing so much slang at work thought everything else should be that way too

#29 katfish1

katfish1

Grimple

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 05:25 PM

Either a temporary or a floating deadend

#30 Sandy

Sandy

Line-God

• Members
  • 678 posts
  • Union: 329
  • Interests: Work, fishing, hunting, and my garden.

Posted 08 June 2007 - 04:34 AM

quick ties for a 1.11 pole east texas pole foam is a bunch of logs tamped in to wet soil to hold the pole :new_bluegrab: :mf_frankie: :14_6_7[1]:

Well, the poles along Hwy 66 in Rowlett, Tx look like they were put in the ground with silly putty.......the leaning tower of Pisa (sp) doesn't have anything on these :D :D Good thing they are doing a lot of rebuild in the area. The first time 639 saw those poles, he just shook his head......couldn't believe what he was seeing......even took pictures cuz he figured no one would believe him :Voskl1[1]: :Voskl1[1]: :Voskl1[1]:

They were purposely set with a lot of rake in them because of all that wind coming out of Texarkana! :devil-smiley-024[1]:

Well, I was in Texarkana yesterday headed to Ashdown...good god what a stink!!!!! I had forgotten how rank it is to combine a papermill with a sewer plant !!!!! That is what happen to those poles, they curdled due to smell "!!!!!

#31 bestbudfam

bestbudfam

★☆★ oNe TRiCK PoNy ☆★☆

• Members
  • 1385 posts
  • Union: IBEW LOCAL " eiGHTeeN "
  • Interests: -------o00o---(_)---o00o-------

Posted 11 December 2007 - 12:07 AM

What is the slang used for a cutting a temparary openning in a line? Is called a blevit?

Always called it " cuttin in boards"

HP

That's what we call them.

Found this yesterday.Linemans slang dictionary

http://www.hubbellpo...ine/19-8011.pdf

THANKS for the link.

#32 Daddyof2

Daddyof2

Journeyman Lineman

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • Union: IBEW Local 84

Posted 24 December 2007 - 12:09 AM

We've always called them false deadends

Edited by Daddyof2, 24 December 2007 - 12:11 AM.

#33 Outlaw Lineman

Outlaw Lineman

Husband, Daddy, & Journeyman Lineman

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • Union: IBEW Local 1245
  • Interests: Hunting, Linework, My Family in no particular order.<br />Been in the trade since 1990. Journeyman Lineman IBEW local 1245.

Posted 24 December 2007 - 05:21 PM

We've always called them false deadends

WE CALL EM FLYING BELLS OR FLOATING DEADENDS

#34 BabyHoist

BabyHoist

Railroad Lineman

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • Industry: Other
  • Union: BMWE Local 3011
  • Interests: I'm not interested!

Posted 24 December 2007 - 06:53 PM

Here's some of our slang:
Dog Ears
Dog Legs
M@th&r F^(k&r$ (MF's)
Pile of Sh!#
BabyHoist
Horse Collar
DoughNut
Tina Turners

There's more but, I can't think of all them at once.

#35 bestbudfam

bestbudfam

★☆★ oNe TRiCK PoNy ☆★☆

• Members
  • 1385 posts
  • Union: IBEW LOCAL " eiGHTeeN "
  • Interests: -------o00o---(_)---o00o-------

Posted 25 December 2007 - 08:02 PM

EVER HEAR OF 1.) A DIKFOR 2.) A HENWAY ?

Edited by bestbudfam, 25 December 2007 - 08:02 PM.

#36 Wood Pecker

Wood Pecker

aka............P-Dub

• Admin
  • 5701 posts
  • Industry: Fiber Optics

• Interests: BBQing, Camping, Boating, Fishing and taking it easy...

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:33 PM

I found this post looking for something else, but I thought I would give it a bump. :smilie_daumenpos[1]:

WP

#37 1 Electro-man

1 Electro-man

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Industry: Retired
  • Union: IBEW local 702

• Interests: IBEW 702 apprentice instructor, IBEW 702 recording secretary(retired),cowboy action shooting,BPCR/ long range buffalo guns, smallbore target shooter.

Posted 29 September 2009 - 02:58 PM

I,ll try to add to this. We call a false deadend the bells and shoe and a piece of wire and sleeve to extend the conductor to the new pole which is a deadend set behind the old pole. We also call a opening in the line a blivet. a gizzie is the wire reel attachment where the reel is on it's side for payout hung from the winch. A mucket is a anchor attachment to screw in a new anchor. We call our live line hoist a strap hoist and not hot hoist. A porkchop shoe is the old circle shoe. pnuts are on the anchor to bond the guy wire to the rod. Monkey face is the new guy hook or pole eye plate. Sailors axxholes are filler washers to repair wooden cob arms to steel pin ,only if it's inclement ...otherwise change the arm. Elevator shaft aka crack in a cedar pole that extends down the pole. Johnny ball ...inline guy insulator ...not a fish but a porcelain insulator. I better quit... your beginning to see how old I am. These terms are in our area ,but could be in other parts of the country as well. Dos mas cervasa ...por favor. :nono: 1electro-man