Mechanical jumpers

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 TexasLineworker

TexasLineworker

Breeding tree frogs...

• 6383 posts
  • Industry: Power

• Interests: If Texas is so god damn great then how come I'm still here...

Posted 20 December 2006 - 04:40 PM

Got another question for you power folks.............which do you prefer? Duckbill hot line clamps on mechanical jumpers or those big orange screw on heads on your jumpers?

I just got word yesterday that we can no longer have any mechanicals with the duckbills or standard hot line clamps on them. The only approved jumper clamps that we can now have are the big orange screw ons. What is funny is that the utility here made it a point that they do not want any jumpers with the big orange screw on heads to be left overnight on any part of their system. That came after a circuit burned to the ground over the weekend a while back. My opinion was that maybe that head was not tightened down good enough anyway, but I still think that with hot line clamps, there is no mistaking whether you have that baby tight or not.
Most of us know the tricks to tightening those screw ons, but there are still a lot of new guys that don't. So now, if we are jumpering out a phase, before we can leave for the evening, we will have to put up jumpers made of the same size wire and more than likely, we will have to install temp. insulators also.

My time is limited here at this place, which I am glad of, but I am still curious on what you guys prefer out there.

#2 LineBoy

LineBoy

Robbies Hero

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • Union: IBEW 322

• Interests: Cars, Girls, Linework

Posted 21 December 2006 - 05:59 PM

Got another question for you power folks.............which do you prefer? Duckbill hot line clamps on mechanical jumpers or those big orange screw on heads on your jumpers?

I just got word yesterday that we can no longer have any mechanicals with the duckbills or standard hot line clamps on them. The only approved jumper clamps that we can now have are the big orange screw ons. What is funny is that the utility here made it a point that they do not want any jumpers with the big orange screw on heads to be left overnight on any part of their system. That came after a circuit burned to the ground over the weekend a while back. My opinion was that maybe that head was not tightened down good enough anyway, but I still think that with hot line clamps, there is no mistaking whether you have that baby tight or not.
Most of us know the tricks to tightening those screw ons, but there are still a lot of new guys that don't. So now, if we are jumpering out a phase, before we can leave for the evening, we will have to put up jumpers made of the same size wire and more than likely, we will have to install temp. insulators also.

My time is limited here at this place, which I am glad of, but I am still curious on what you guys prefer out there.

Does that mean you guys are throwing out all the duckbill jumpers? :smilie_daumenpos[1]:

#3 Outlaw Lineman

Outlaw Lineman

Husband, Daddy, & Journeyman Lineman

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • Union: IBEW Local 1245
  • Interests: Hunting, Linework, My Family in no particular order.<br />Been in the trade since 1990. Journeyman Lineman IBEW local 1245.

Posted 21 December 2006 - 06:08 PM

We use the big orange heads when we rubber glove. But if we are hotsticking we use the hot line clamp style mechanicals (not home made ones). So for me it depends on what work method we are using.

#4 TexasLineworker

TexasLineworker

Breeding tree frogs...

• 6383 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 06:46 PM

Does that mean you guys are throwing out all the duckbill jumpers? :haha:

Yep. Not to have any at all on the trucks. :smilie_daumenpos[1]:

#5 Livewire

Livewire

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 08:40 PM

The only ones we have are the big orange ones. Never seen the other style your talking about, but i have seen the duckbill hotline clamps.

#6 crippledlineman

crippledlineman

I'm tired

• Members
  • 9500 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 11:18 PM

Not sure what you mean by duckbill type. We've used anything from poly wire with hotline clamps to the big 4/0 orange mamas. I trust the big bad orange mamas more, just dont like taking off hotline clamps with my hands like I was taught. :smilie_daumenpos[1]:

I agree with what you said about the line burning down, I doubt the wire was brushed clean nor were the heads tightend down enough. You could screw them tight and hit them a few times and be able to get 2-3 more turns on it and tighten it even more.

They are going to wear your ass out making up jumpers everyday of the same size wire. Mechs can be left online safely, we made sure the heads were on tight and even kept the line off the pole even though its protected.

#7 TexasLineworker

TexasLineworker

Breeding tree frogs...

• 6383 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:02 AM

This Posted Image vs. this Posted Image or this Posted Image.

The problem with the screw ons is that they don't get tightened down as good as they should be. Had an instance where a high wind picked up over a weekend and the moving of the conductors loosened the clamp even more and burned the wire down. Plus, I like the option of being able to stick the duckbill in a shotgun if there is any doubt in my mind about a particular phase. I know to hit on the screw ons and tap them with a hammer, I even put my channel locks on them to get that extra measure of security, but the problem of them working loose is still there. They are fine for jumpering something for a short time and then putting a permanent jumper in place before you leave the pole, but I don't trust them overnight......and especially not over a weekend. So, I am still trying to figure out why we have to get rid of all our duckbills. And your right, that just created a whole lot more work for us and we are already getting the hammer lowered on us for more production.

#8 Sbatts1

Sbatts1

Battman

• Members
  • 485 posts
  • Union: IBEW Local 304 Topeka KS
  • Interests: Motorcycles, Trucks Boats Planes Travel and Motor Homes

Posted 22 December 2006 - 08:27 AM

:14_3_1[1]: :pissedoff[1]:
(1) Tapping the head of a Insulated jumper with a set of Klines while tightening will prevent the jumperfrom lossening in the wind. Also tieing up slack will prevent wind from swinging the jumper.

(2) Houston Light and Power was one of the first company's that started rubber gloving over 4,160 volts. I have been rubber gloving above 72,00 since 1968.

One of the first rules about jumpers is NEVER PICK UP OR DROP a LOAD by hand. They make a Hot MAC that has a load break built in. Apply it by hand, back off and trigger it with a stick. Jumpering out lines by hand is a major cause of Fatal Burns. Work Safe.

#9 cademan

cademan

Jedi-Lineman

• Members
  • 315 posts
  • Interests: God, Family, Hunting, Football, basketball. Camping.

Posted 22 December 2006 - 11:41 AM

Personally, I use the duckbill for almost everything, and have left them temporary for over a week sometimes and never had them loosen up.

Very rarely do we use the screwon type, but I can see where they will loosen easy especially when being put on by a gloved hand, and would be hesitant putting channellocks on them.

I use the duckbill mechanical for everything from mechanical jumpers to personal grounds, and like them.

Everyone probably doesnt agree with that but ot works for me.

ten thousanddollaroffer.com

Edited by cademan, 22 December 2006 - 11:45 AM.

#10 639trbl

639trbl

ACE TRBLSHTR & GENERAL FLUNKIE

• Members
  • 7733 posts
  • Union: IBEW 1703
  • Interests: HUNTING, FISHING, 4 WHEELER RIDING, AND AS THE NUMBER OF GRANDKIDS IS GROWING,.SPENDING MORE TIME WITH THEM !!!

Posted 23 December 2006 - 11:04 AM

USE USE THE BIG ORANGE HEAD --HANDS ON--SCREW TYPE..........................THERE IS A TOOL ...........MADE BY A LINEMAN---IN TEXAS, IF I REMEMBER RIGHT--------MADE FOR TIGHTENING THESE, WITHOUT DAMAGE TO THE HEAD.................WE USE CHANNEL LOCKS AND HAVE LEFT THEM ON FOR WEEKS, BUT ONLY BECAUSE WEATHER PREVENTED US FROM COMING BACK TO FINISH UP......................TRIED TO GET THE COMPANY TO BUY THE TOOLS, CAUSE IT DOES NOT DAMAGE THE HEADS OF THE MECH............BUT THE COMPANY SAID NO,,CAUSE THE GUY DIDN'T HAVE A MILLION DOLLAR BOND ON HIS COMPANY :laugh: .THEY PREFER TO REPLACE THE MECH OR HEADS-----MORE MONEY---THAN BUY A $15 TOOL TO SAVE MONEY :shakin[1]:

WE DON'T STICK ANYTHING ON DISTRIBUTION................ALL HANDS ON...........ONLY STICK THE TRANSMISSION VOLTAGES AND I DON'T THINK THEY /WE DO MUCH OF IT ANYMORE.......................

#11 TexasLineworker

TexasLineworker

Breeding tree frogs...

• 6383 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 12:02 PM

Bill, you talking about the Mighty Mac? That baby runs about $50 or so. You ever used one?

Posted Image

#12 639trbl

639trbl

• Members
  • 7733 posts
  • Interests: HUNTING, FISHING, 4 WHEELER RIDING, AND AS THE NUMBER OF GRANDKIDS IS GROWING,.SPENDING MORE TIME WITH THEM !!!

Posted 23 December 2006 - 04:48 PM

Bill, you talking about the Mighty Mac? That baby runs about $50 or so. You ever used one?

Posted Image

YEP JOHN, THAT'S IT..BEEN A FEW YEARS SINCE I TRIED TO GET THE COMPANY TO BUY EM, AND YOU KNOW HOW MY MEMORY IS GETTING..............BUT I HVE USED ONE --AT A DEMO, BUT NEVER ON THE LINE :smilie_daumenpos[1]:

#13 Hot Handz

Hot Handz

Learning to be good!!!!

• Members
  • 1095 posts
  • Union: not union, but have brothers everywhere
  • Interests: line work, hunting, and beer drinking!!!

Posted 23 December 2006 - 05:14 PM

an old simpson hand invented the mighty mac... never used the duck bills as a mechanical, but used em all the time for grounds...

the second duck bill picture is my favorite, you can slap em on really easy

#14 TexasLineworker

TexasLineworker

Breeding tree frogs...

• 6383 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 10:25 AM

The only ones we have are the big orange ones. Never seen the other style your talking about, but i have seen the duckbill hotline clamps.

Livewire, what do y'all do to tighten them and keep them tightened?

Batts, I agree with not using them for dropping or picking up load. But, I have picked up load with them (Duckbills) before using a shotgun. Was an emergency situation and no where at all to mount a temp switch. 3 Crappy ass CSP's would not open at the secondary switches. Got lucky and no drama came from that one. Would not have been able to do that with the big orange screw ons.

#15 crippledlineman

crippledlineman

I'm tired

• Members
  • 9500 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 12:41 PM

Batts, I agree with not using them for dropping or picking up load. But, I have picked up load with them (Duckbills) before using a shotgun. Was an emergency situation and no where at all to mount a temp switch. 3 Crappy ass CSP's would not open at the secondary switches. Got lucky and no drama came from that one. Would not have been able to do that with the big orange screw ons.

We always just had them hand tight (and used the slap technique a few times) and they always held for us. Never had a problem. Also rolled up the access and tied it to a standoff pin to try and keep pressure off the orange mechs and to try and keep them from tracking in case of a hole. Used the duckbills on grounds and that was it.

We worked an Ice Storm in Georgia around 2000, and we had this 'so called' lineman with us that decided we were going to pick up a whole community (500 or more houses give or take) and he wanted us to pick up the load with a big orange mama. Told him to go to hell and he could do it himself. He eventually done it, I walked off and wasnt going to be involved in it. That was the last time we worked with him, but he is now a foreman in those yellow trucks. It's a shame somebody like that runs a crew.....

#16 TexasLineworker

TexasLineworker

Breeding tree frogs...

• 6383 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 01:40 PM

What did you expect? The things that I have seen in 4 months! Heard of a crew that opened a 100kva 3 pot bank under load. Sustained some good burns when everything went phase to phase. I asked where the loadbuster was or why no one dropped load from the bank beforehand. I don't even think anyone got voltage and rotation before opening the bank.

#17 639trbl

639trbl

• Members
  • 7733 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 04:22 PM

SOME PEOPLE................ARE JUST LUCKY AND STUPID :confused-smiley-013[1]:

I GUESS GOD LOOKS OUT FOR DUMB LINEMAN TOO :Voskl1[1]:

I HAVE NEVER PICKED UP LOAD WITH A MECH.........EXCEPT THE LOAD-PICK-UP ONE I HAVE ON MY TRUCK :rolleyes:

TEST IT OPEN....TRIP IT............OPEN IT BACK UP...TEST IT AGAIN.............PUT IT ON-LINE...THEN TWIST THE HANDLE.................THIS ONE IS CLOSED BY TWISTING THE HANDLE, WHICH IS PRETTY LONG.......NO SHOTGUN OR STICK NEEDED...............

#18 Jos Lapointe

Jos Lapointe

TOP Dawg

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • Union: FCFP 1114

Posted 04 January 2007 - 04:18 PM

We used the orange insulated duckbills type jumper with the shot gun. we trie the new type of duckbills all aluminium. The scew on them if you tightening them realy good and trie to remouve it, you will have a suprise because the tread will jam and you won't be able to remouve it. We replace them with the old brass type

#19 Livewire

Livewire

Ground Hand

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 05:16 PM

I must have missed this post TLW

I tighten mine the way Crip described, slap'em side to side and tighten some more, repeat.

Jos Lapointe, we have grounding chains just as you described with the AL threads. Your right if you over tighten them it'll jam the threads and it's a real SOB to remove.

Any of you guys use the temporary cutouts and mechs in combination?

Edited by Livewire, 08 January 2007 - 05:19 PM.

#20 TexasLineworker

TexasLineworker

Breeding tree frogs...

• 6383 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:48 PM

We used the orange insulated duckbills type jumper with the shot gun. we trie the new type of duckbills all aluminium. The scew on them if you tightening them realy good and trie to remouve it, you will have a suprise because the tread will jam and you won't be able to remouve it. We replace them with the old brass type

Never have seen the duckbills with aluminum threads and from the way it sounds, glad I haven't!

Livewire, I have used the temp. loadbreaks that you hang on the conductor and used a mechanical from the switch to the other side of a temp floating dead-end to kill out a section of a neighborhood before. Wanna have fun? Send your grunt with an extendo to close them in! :surrender[1]: