#41 bulldozer7777

bulldozer7777

Presidential Gold Cup Champion

• Members
  • 1296 posts
  • Industry: Power
  • Interests: Safety Procedures on Lineworking

Posted 28 September 2004 - 08:38 PM

Sad to hear those accidents MY PRAYERS AND CONDOLENCES TO THEIR FAMILIES :mf_laughbounce:

BULLDOZER :wink:
Safety is my Game

#42 crippledlineman

crippledlineman

I'm tired

• Members
  • 9500 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 02:45 PM

Officials Identify Pepco Worker Killed at Substation
UPDATED - Monday August 16, 2004 4:51pm

Adelphi, Md. (AP) - Officials have identified the worker killed this morning at a Pepco plant in Adelphi.

A Pepco spokeswoman says 47-year-old Michael Ashurst was electrocuted when he touched a charged line at Pepco's College Park substation just after 8 a.m.

The plant is located in the 2800 block of Metzerott Road. It provides power to the area around the University of Maryland. Service in the area hasn't been disrupted.

Pepco says Ashurst had worked for the utility company for about 30 years. His wife, Trina, also works for the company.

State and federal officials are investigating the incident.

news8.net

#43 Tha Bobster

Tha Bobster

Jedi~Lineman

• Admin
  • 2756 posts
  • Industry: CATV
  • Union: Nope

• Interests: my wife, my pets, my property & this website

Posted 13 October 2004 - 06:25 PM

Lineman electrocuted while restoring power

Published Saturday, August 7, 2004
LIVONIA (AP) - A lineman for an electric cooperative was electrocuted Wednesday night while working to restore power in northern Missouri’s Putnam County.

Steven Watson, 31, of rural Bloomfield, Iowa, was killed while he and a colleague from Tri-County Electric Cooperative of Lancaster were working along a county road about two miles southwest of Livonia.

John Eggleston, president of the cooperative’s board of directors, said that Watson had climbed a pole and somehow made contact with a 7200-volt electrical line.

He said officials from Tri-County and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration were investigating.

Watson had worked for the cooperative for 10 years.

#44 Old Lineman

Old Lineman

Grimple

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 11:09 AM

I found this info on another site,  "the lineman that was killed was in the I.B.E.W. in Washington state. He was working on the 345kv line out of the Pilgrim nuke plant replacing preformed spreaders in the trolley, he was at mid span working on replacing a spreader.He was working between the trolley chain and the spreader, somehow the trolley moved and he was crushed from the mid chest to the lower jaw area. They were moving the trolley with a tracked machine due to the rough terrain."  if I find anything else out I will pass it on, let's all prey for our fallen brother.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I read about a lineman being killed in Massachusetts a few months back. He was in a conductor cart changing spacers when the cart was pulled into the next spacer and it broke his neck. I see no difference between these two accidents.
In years gone by (when I was doing that type of work) we pulled the cart by hand. Obviously there wasn't enough power to cause such damage. I also know there was no noise so we could communicate with the fellows on the ground.
The problem ; Too much power; Too much noise; No safety watcher; No ironclad communication system.
There is a simple solution but unless it's made by legislation we will have to witness many more accidents. So let's not wait, let's be proactive and get rid of this killer right now.
All we need to do is have communicate that can react in an instant.
If the operator of the pulling mechanism had a head set and the worker in the cart always had direct communications with him he could direct from above.
Better still the worker in the cart could have a DEAD MAN switch that if he released it the pulling mechanism would halt.
If we can send people to the moon surely we can figure out the logistics of that one. I also believe this shouldn't be done without a safety watcher similar to the requirement that a boat pulling a water skier has to have. The Old Lineman

#45 danimal

danimal

apprentice-finally

• Members
  • 664 posts
  • Industry: CATV

Posted 02 April 2005 - 11:33 AM

I found this info on another site,  "the lineman that was killed was in the I.B.E.W. in Washington state. He was working on the 345kv line out of the Pilgrim nuke plant replacing preformed spreaders in the trolley, he was at mid span working on replacing a spreader.He was working between the trolley chain and the spreader, somehow the trolley moved and he was crushed from the mid chest to the lower jaw area. They were moving the trolley with a tracked machine due to the rough terrain."  if I find anything else out I will pass it on, let's all prey for our fallen brother.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I read about a lineman being killed in Massachusetts a few months back. He was in a conductor cart changing spacers when the cart was pulled into the next spacer and it broke his neck. I see no difference between these two accidents.
In years gone by (when I was doing that type of work) we pulled the cart by hand. Obviously there wasn't enough power to cause such damage. I also know there was no noise so we could communicate with the fellows on the ground.
The problem ; Too much power; Too much noise; No safety watcher; No ironclad communication system.
There is a simple solution but unless it's made by legislation we will have to witness many more accidents. So let's not wait, let's be proactive and get rid of this killer right now.
If the operator of the pulling mechanism had a head set and the worker in the cart always had direct communications with him he could direct from above.
Better still the worker in the cart could have a DEAD MAN switch that if he released it the pulling mechanism would halt.
If we can send people to the moon surely we can figure out the logistics of that one. I also believe this shouldn't be done without a safety watcher similar to the requirement that a boat pulling a water skier has to have. The Old Lineman

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well said.Tragically seems like a nobrainer

#46 S.A.C.

S.A.C.

TOP Dawg

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • Interests: Protecting the families of those who have lost their lives in our industry.

Posted 04 April 2005 - 03:40 AM

The only way it will ever change, is if we force the bean counters to realize safety saves money, NOT COSTS MONEY! And the only way to do that with those that put profits before our lives, is by getting in their pockets! all of us must protect each other, more and more the older Brothers in our trade are disappearing. We must pass on what was passed to us. Their IS NO COMPANY worth giving your body or your life for! We have all seen or been the fair haired gifted one, until the next one comes a long! And what did it get us? The best we can hope for is mutual respect, and fair days work for a fair wage. Safety is not an option, IT IS A NECISSITY! NO MORE LIVES FOR DOLLARS! :ernaehrung004[1]:

Thanks to one and all for caring!

S.A.C.
Rusty White
( You can reach me by clicking on the logo)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well said.Tragically seems like a nobrainer

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#47 LINE-MAN.COM

LINE-MAN.COM

~Jedi Lineman~

• Admin
  • 294 posts
  • Industry: Other

Posted 08 June 2005 - 06:54 AM

Wingate, Ind., May 14 - An REMC lineman is dead after he was fatally shocked while repairing equipment damaged by Friday night's thunderstorms in Montgomery County.

Montgomery County Coroner Darren Forman says Tipmont REMC lineman Todd Smith died instantly.

Smith was working in a boom along a county road about 20 miles south of Lafayette shortly before midnight when he touched a live wire. Co-workers and emergency crews tried unsuccessfully to revive him.

He was trying to repair damage from severe storms that caused scattered outages to Tipmont's 19,500 rural customers.

Tipmont general manager Ken Ritchey says an investigation is under way to determine how Smith came into contact with the live wire.

The 34-year-old Lafayette man had worked for the utility for ten years and had been a lineman since January of 2004.

Source: AP

#48 Deerlope

Deerlope

Building trades (journeyman) retired

• Members
  • 6187 posts
  • Interests: building,designing equipment. hunting,fishing,forestry, making maple syrup.

Posted 08 June 2005 - 11:50 AM

Very sad news. My prayers to him and his family. :D

#49 639trbl

639trbl

ACE TRBLSHTR & GENERAL FLUNKIE

• Members
  • 7733 posts
  • Union: IBEW 1703
  • Interests: HUNTING, FISHING, 4 WHEELER RIDING, AND AS THE NUMBER OF GRANDKIDS IS GROWING,.SPENDING MORE TIME WITH THEM !!!

Posted 08 June 2005 - 12:46 PM

DAMN IT....WHEN IS IT GONNA END :confused-smiley-013[1]:

THIS IS SAD NEWS--MY HEARTFELT CONDOLENCES GO OUT TO HIS FAMILY AND LOVED ONES!!

#50 TexasLineworker

TexasLineworker

Breeding tree frogs...

• 6383 posts

• Interests: If Texas is so god damn great then how come I'm still here...

Posted 08 June 2005 - 03:45 PM

On behalf of the Line-Man.Com crew, our prayers and condolences to his family.

#51 The Tool Guy

The Tool Guy

Jedi-Lineman

• Members
  • 309 posts
  • Interests: I have a lot of hobbies. I play guitar, scuba dive, bow-hunt, cave (spelunk), and chase hurricanes, tornadoes, ice-storms and volcanoes. Well, no volcanoes yet, but...I'm also interested in my wife and two daughters and whatever makes them happy.

Posted 09 June 2005 - 07:08 AM

On behalf of Swain Distribution, our condolences and prayers go out to the Smith family. We are truly sorry for your loss.

The Tool Guy

#52 Lightningrod

Lightningrod

Line-God

• 6907 posts
  • Union: I.B.E.W. Local 37

• Interests: linework, hunting and nascar style racing. crewmember of prostock team

Posted 11 June 2005 - 08:21 PM

Damn :confused-smiley-013[1]: , damn :devil-smiley-024[1]: , damn, :pissedoff[1]: this is turning into a year of terrible loss of life to our brothers :Voskl1[1]: , my thoughts and prayers to his family and friends. :pray:

#53 crippledlineman

crippledlineman

I'm tired

• Members
  • 9500 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 06:41 PM

Heard about a guy getting killed a few weeks back when he went to get on the truck or get something off of it when the operator came in contact with a non covered phase. Have no details in writing yet but from word of mouth from very good sources. Will not speculate more yet until I get a story from somewhere. This was in Northeast Georgia.

#54 crippledlineman

crippledlineman

I'm tired

• Members
  • 9500 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:26 PM

Found more just now looking for this death:

OSHA probes injured worker case
Posted Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 3:53 am

By E. Richard Walton
STAFF WRITER
rwalton@greenvillenews.com

A 36-year-old Pike Electric Inc. worker remained unconscious Friday at the Augusta Burn Center in Georgia a week after being injured while working on a transformer in Simpsonville, authorities said.
Bruce Conway, a Pike area manager, wouldn't comment on the extent of Scott Bradshaw's injuries.

"As far as I know, he's still stable," Conway said.

Bradshaw and his wife, Betty, have two sons, ages 6 and 4.

The South Carolina Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), which investigates workplace accidents, has begun its review, said Jim Knight, a spokesman for the state Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation.

"Usually, it's a minimum of six weeks before we get a report back on their findings," Knight said Friday.

South Carolina is among the states that administer their own occupational safety and health programs through an agreement with federal officials.

Bradshaw was upgrading a transformer in the Westwood subdivision when he suffered undisclosed injuries, authorities said.

The Mount Airy, N.C.-based firm is frequently hired for subcontracting work for Duke Power. A Duke spokeswoman referred all calls about Bradshaw to Pike.

According to its Web site, Pike employs more than 4,200 workers and has more than 5,000 pieces of equipment throughout the eastern United States. Its workers install overhead and underground distribution lines and substations for utilities, electric cooperatives and municipalities, the Web site says. They also perform right-of-way maintenance.

The on-the-job injury and illness rate for electrical contract workers in South Carolina was 4.8 per 100 workers in 2003, the latest year for which figures are available, Knight said. That compares with the state's private industry rate of 4.4 workers per 100, he said.

Overall, South Carolina's rate fell to a record low, according to statistics from the U.S. Department of Labor and released by LLR officials. The rate dropped to 4.7 workers per 100 from 4.9 in 2002.

Conway said Bradshaw was with another worker when the accident occurred June 3.

"He was up the pole by himself," Conway said. "A guy on the ground was sending him stuff."

Bradshaw's accident follows two last fall in which workers were electrocuted. Glenn Wyatt, 33, of Simpsonville, also a Pike Electric worker, was killed last September while on a pole on Easley Bridge Road, authorities said.

The second, 34-year-old Scotty Bell of Anderson, died after touching an electrical wire on Roe Ford Road, authorities said. Bell worked for Charter Communications.

#55 crippledlineman

crippledlineman

I'm tired

• Members
  • 9500 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:36 PM

Another one dated y'day:

Utility worker electrocuted on job

Associated Press

Independence-- A utility worker was electrocuted while trying to restore power here after a storm had knocked out power to thousands of residents.
Steve Ebert, 33, worked for Columbia Water and Light but had volunteered to help repair power lines and clear debris in Independence after a storm Wednesday night, the utility said in a news release.

He was killed Friday morning while reaching into a storage bin in a boom truck that had come into contact with a 13,000-volt power line.

Line worker Charles Schouten, 30, was injured, and was treated and released from an Independence hospital Friday afternoon.

Columbia Water and Light said Schouten and Ebert were among 11 of its employees who were helping Independence Power and Light under an agreement with the Missouri Association of Municipal Utilities.

"Servicing electric lines is a dangerous business," Dan Dasho, director of Columbia Water and Light, said in a written statement. "Steve Ebert lost his life going beyond the normal call of duty; he was helping another community in its time of need."

http://springfield.n...tyworkerel.html

#56 Lnemn's Mom

Lnemn's Mom

Mom or Granny

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • Interests: Besides enjoying spending time with my kids and grandchildren, I operate a legal staffing service and build and repair computers for relaxation. Love to travel and miss FL and walks along the ocean.

Posted 04 July 2005 - 06:53 PM

June 29, 2005 - MICHAEL TODD "Hippie" SAUNDERS, 35, of Prichard, West Virginia, died Wednesday, June 29, 2005, in an industrial accident. He was born August 24, 1969, at Huntington, West Virginia, a son of Patty Lou Fuller Nottingham of Huntington, West Virginia and the late Kenneth Ray Saunders. He was a lineman for Pike Electric Company.

Edited by Lnemn's Mom, 12 August 2005 - 08:08 AM.

#57 TexasLineworker

TexasLineworker

Breeding tree frogs...

• 6383 posts

• Interests: If Texas is so god damn great then how come I'm still here...

Posted 04 July 2005 - 06:56 PM

Very sorry to hear about all of these. Condolences and prayers to everybody.

#58 639trbl

639trbl

ACE TRBLSHTR & GENERAL FLUNKIE

• Members
  • 7733 posts
  • Union: IBEW 1703
  • Interests: HUNTING, FISHING, 4 WHEELER RIDING, AND AS THE NUMBER OF GRANDKIDS IS GROWING,.SPENDING MORE TIME WITH THEM !!!

Posted 05 July 2005 - 11:35 AM

OUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS GO OUT TO HIS FAMILY AND LOVED ONES :confused-smiley-013[1]: :ernaehrung004[1]: :laugh: :wink:

#59 Sbatts1

Sbatts1

Battman

• Members
  • 485 posts
  • Union: IBEW Local 304 Topeka KS
  • Interests: Motorcycles, Trucks Boats Planes Travel and Motor Homes

Posted 10 July 2005 - 08:19 AM

This is passed on from Ron Gonyea Check out his website.
Ron Gonyea

http://www.voicesatwork.net/
Power worker, 42, electrocuted
Man was trying to hook up electricity to Bear town houses
By ROBIN BROWN / The News Journal
07/07/2005

A Delmarva Power worker suffered a fatal electric shock Wednesday as he tried to hook up a group of new town houses in Bear, police said.

Jeffrey T. Burke, 42, of Dover, was a lineman first class who had worked for Delmarva Power and Conectiv for 14 years, said company spokesman Bill Yingling.

"This is a sad and tragic loss, and we want to express our sympathy and support for the employee's family," Yingling said.

New Castle County police said they have not pieced together how Burke came in contact with a power line carrying 14,400 volts, Cpl. Trinidad Navarro said.

"We're still trying to determine exactly what happened ... how he touched the line," he said.

Burke was working on connecting homes near Paisley and Perth streets in the St. Andrews community, off the east side of U.S. 40 in Bear.

He suffered the shock while working at a large green cube near the homes, known as a "switch gear" box that carries power for distribution to homes, Navarro said.

After Burke was shocked about 11 a.m., two other workers at the construction site rushed to help him, officials said.

The unidentified workers were trying to perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation but were unable to revive him, they said.

Emergency rescue personnel and police arrived at the construction site at 11:08 a.m., county officials said.

Burke was taken to Christiana Hospital, where he was pronounced dead shortly after his arrival, said Sgt. Kelli Starr-Leach, of the New Castle County Emergency Medical Services.

His death remains under investigation, Navarro said, but there were "no obvious indications of foul play."

Contact robin brown at 324-2856 or rbrown@delawareonline.com.

#60 crippledlineman

crippledlineman

I'm tired

• Members
  • 9500 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 08:53 AM

Thanks Steve, our thoughts and prayers are with everyone. :pray: